Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Braiden

Drives: 1ss 2010 Camaro
My car is a lemon

Wanted to see if anyone else has the same problems. My 1SS has 2000 miles on it and I've had it to the shop twice for the same problem, next one constitutes lemon law. The car completetly powers down and quits whenever it wants. The first time to the shop, they couldn't find anything wrong, but replaced the underhood fuse box and tightened every connection on the car. This moring it quit on me 4 times on my way to work, once while sitting at the gas station, I got out checked everything, got back in and slammed the door(everything powered back up and the theft attempt alarm came on). So there I was driving out of the gas station while my lights are flashing and horn honking with everyone watching......good fun! Now I have an awsome 2009 4 door Cobalt loaner that I can drive until they fix it or give up.
Braiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
KamaroKirb
Hell's janitor

Drives: 1995 Z28 camaro
May the strenghth to get through this be with you :(
Old 11-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Did you hit up onstar as soon as you had issues? What did they say?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
Was your car part of the battery cable recall?
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Braiden

Drives: 1ss 2010 Camaro
Talking Problem found

No, my car was manufactured after the battery cable recall.
The problem turned out be be:
The main power cable/wire going to the fuse box inside the drivers side kick panel terminates to a stud on the back of the fuse box. There nut that is treaded onto the stud was gone/missing/never installed thus causing intermitant power loss on certian systems.....It is something they have not seen yet on these cars and are documenting in the "main system" for future reference. So, I think I can take my car off of lemon status and back on bad a$$ status!!!
Braiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
good to hear you got it fixed
Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Some time its just a little thing that causes all that frustration.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braiden View Post
No, my car was manufactured after the battery cable recall.
The problem turned out be be:
The main power cable/wire going to the fuse box inside the drivers side kick panel terminates to a stud on the back of the fuse box. There nut that is treaded onto the stud was gone/missing/never installed thus causing intermitant power loss on certian systems.....It is something they have not seen yet on these cars and are documenting in the "main system" for future reference. So, I think I can take my car off of lemon status and back on bad a$$ status!!!
Bad a$$ Status thats....... very nice.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
Glad to hear it's fixed!
2500: 8/18/09 - Preferenced.
3000: 8/18/09 - Accepted by Production Control.
3100: 9/9/09 - Available to Sequence.
3300: 9/9/09 - Scheduled for Production.
3400: 9/19/09 - Broadcast.
3800: 9/29/09 - Produced.
4000: 9/29/09 - Available to Ship.
4150: 9/29/09 - Original Invoice.
4200: 10/6/09 - Shipped.
5000: 10/13/09 - Delivered to Dealer.
6000: 10/13/09 - Delivered to Customer.
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Great news. I know you must feel better. I can't stand it when they have no clue what a problem could be. I always think mine makes noises with the transmission. But, we'll see.
68/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
clutch problems

Our clutch has now stayed to the floor about 6 times. It is now at a dealership again waiting to be fixed. They looked at it last week and thought that the clutch slave cylinder was leaking because it was obvious that something was. We ordered it and brought the car in Tuesday to have it fixed. GM tells the tech to cut the exhaust to get to the problem!! I said they have to give us a new one then. Luckily the tech took the time to look and found it was 5 bolts to take the exhaust out of the way. They then discover the leak is an oil seapage problem. They fix that and discover that the clutch is burning up from sticking to the floor so much. So they put on the slave cylinder and try to do the clutch but they then also discover that if you replace the clutch you also need to replace the flywheel. The flywheel has blue spots on it from getting so hot. There is a flywheel at a dealership in Naperville,il which I go by every night and could have picked up myself, but they are sending it to another dealership somewhere else in the U.S. I found out there are only 12 dealerships in the country with the flywheel and a lot of dealerships trying to get them. Mine is coming from N.C. with a stop in Missouri. I am still waiting for it. This will probably be the last nice weekend in Chicago and we won't have our car to enjoy it!! Really stinks!!!
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braiden View Post
Wanted to see if anyone else has the same problems. My 1SS has 2000 miles on it and I've had it to the shop twice for the same problem, next one constitutes lemon law. The car completetly powers down and quits whenever it wants. The first time to the shop, they couldn't find anything wrong, but replaced the underhood fuse box and tightened every connection on the car. This moring it quit on me 4 times on my way to work, once while sitting at the gas station, I got out checked everything, got back in and slammed the door(everything powered back up and the theft attempt alarm came on). So there I was driving out of the gas station while my lights are flashing and horn honking with everyone watching......good fun! Now I have an awsome 2009 4 door Cobalt loaner that I can drive until they fix it or give up.
Its reading all of these issues and problems that's made me realize I did the right thing by not jumping into getting this car. To pay full MSRP and then have to deal with problems like this would make me go ballistic. If I get this car, I'm waiting until all, if not most of the bugs are fixed. I know a couple of people who got this car in the summer and have had nothing but problems with it. Better to wait. Plus, I can cross shop it with the 5.0 Mustang when it comes out next spring.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
It is usually best to not buy a completely redesigned or new car in the first year, and I can understand your concerns, however most of the the issues have been corrected by the dealers. I'm definately waiting until the second year. Unfortunately, you're stuck having to wait and aren't enjoying the car. If you cross shop it with the 5.0 Mustang, next year then you'll be in almost the same postion with a new engined Mustang. There have been posts by other's who are very satisifed with their Camaro, and aren't having any problems. We just don't see them post and say their car is problem free. I think it is human nature to focus our attention on a topic that covers a problem.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
It is usually best to not buy a completely redesigned or new car in the first year, and I can understand your concerns, however most of the the issues have been corrected by the dealers. I'm definately waiting until the second year. Unfortunately, you're stuck having to wait and aren't enjoying the car. If you cross shop it with the 5.0 Mustang, next year then you'll be in almost the same postion with a new engined Mustang. There have been posts by other's who are very satisifed with their Camaro, and aren't having any problems. We just don't see them post and say their car is problem free. I think it is human nature to focus our attention on a topic that covers a problem.
You are absolutely right about the first year car issues. I kind of had my hopes up about the quality of the Camaro based on the excellent build quality of my parents' 2007 Chevy Impala. That's a great car for what its built for and very solidly put together. My parent's Impala really surprised me and is on par with the Camry and Accord as far as build quality goes. That's why I'm dissolussioned by these stories of recent Camaro buyers having so many mechanical issues.

I think the 5.0 Mustang won't have as many problems as you might think because they have been working on and developing that coyote engine a long time and are not re-inventing the car from the ground up. Basically the same body, chassis, and components, with an improved track pack, brembos and the 5.0 engine. The 6 speed manual, I'm guessing, is probably coming from the Shelby GT500. So that is not a completely new piece to the driveline.

Regardless, I won't make a final decision on either car until I take both of them out for a long test drive. I particularly want to take the Camaro SS out for a longer than usual test drive to see if I get that annoying rattle in the dash sound that everybody complains about. Maybe I'll have to test drive 3 or 4 of them to be sure. BTW, isn't it true that GM is trying to fix as many of these problems as possible during QC before shipping them to the dealers? Is it possible that if I get a much later vin number 2010, that alot of these issues will be resolved in a more recently built Camaro?

Last edited by rray200; 11-06-2009 at 05:36 PM.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote