Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Well maybe now they will look a little closer at the Bakken Reserve (Montana) and how to get that oil out of the ground.

"Fox news is a pseudo communist bullshit spouting bunch of knuckleheads"

Keep on drinking the "Obama" Koolaide(talk about communists)....but I digress..this should NOT become a Political argument...I agree this is about loss of life and a tragedy, and how to get it cleaned up.
Maybe I am misunderstanding but there is no Obam-aide going down this throat... I speak only as an industry insider... I will not speak politics here...

I agree, the cleanup is # 1 priority, and prevention of this occuring again within our means is # 2.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I used to work the Gulf, I am currently in Brazil, working for Petrobras, but as I've told others, it's a huge world, but a very small oilfield... I know people from most every drilling company out there and probably from almost every service company as well...

Thanks for Your Consideration... If you spend any time out here, it's hard for something like this to not hit home...
SSE 4 2SS

What do you do for Petrobras?
LETHAL RACING Phase V, "ECS Supercharger, Nightfury cam, Methanol Injected, Dual Fuelpumps, Kooks Headers with Hi Flow Cats, 3'' Catback Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Tune, H & R Drop Springs,Barton Ind. STS 773 RWHP.
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
This spill won't kill performance cars. There will always be a demand for them. Worst case scenario they start using alternative fuels to power performance cars... that's not so terrible!

I personally would miss the low rumble of a V8, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they started using non gasoline engines.

But seriously, this oil leak is bad news. I hope it gets closed up and resolved soon! I love nature, although I live nowhere near an ocean, whenever I am outside I can't help but marvel at how wonderful it is. I'm sure this oil spill has made one ugly underwater scene.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
Well hopefully this will push more money into the development of nuclear fusion.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #19
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc9193 View Post
SSE 4 2SS

What do you do for Petrobras?
As little as possible, "I" do not work for "them" so to speak...

I work for Diamond Offshore as a Subsea Engineer. The rig I am assigned to is leased to Petrobras...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
wwessels

Drives: 2000 Nissan Maxima
This is a very a bad situation environmentally. However, I do not see this having a long term effect on "muscle cars" or any v8 car for that matter. Our automakers are slowly moving away from larger displacement engines due to environmental issue. Let us not forget how high gas prices were supposed to get and STAY after 9/11????? There is always a worst case scenario that never follows throught, and unfortunatley we as the public generally hear this scenario pushed to us harder than the reality.
wwessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
As long as BP remains publicly contrite and keeps throwing money at it, it'll blow over. If BP doesn't immediately and publicly assist with money and material though- it's going to be 'evil oil company profit' etc.
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
As little as possible, "I" do not work for "them" so to speak...

I work for Diamond Offshore as a Subsea Engineer. The rig I am assigned to is leased to Petrobras...
Nice,

I worked on chinook/cascade for petrobras here in the states. I currently work for BP as an inspector on the Galapagos project
LETHAL RACING Phase V, "ECS Supercharger, Nightfury cam, Methanol Injected, Dual Fuelpumps, Kooks Headers with Hi Flow Cats, 3'' Catback Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Tune, H & R Drop Springs,Barton Ind. STS 773 RWHP.
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Think they will install the $500,000 blowout valves on these wells now? The ones the oil companies thought were too expensive and are required elsewhere to drill. How do they look now? This is going to cost more than $500k in just lost product alone not to mention the environmental damage. A well as the loss of life for the workers and the grief for their families.

Last edited by mikel441; 04-30-2010 at 11:19 AM.
mikel441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
LosingReality

Drives: Camaro LS
SHHHHH....your commander and chief is speaking right now!

Edit, he didnt say really anything about the spill
LosingReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
superdave99

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Just hope they get a handle on it quick ... If not the Gulf Coast beaches around here are gonna be a mess ... And really screw up the fishing and the price of seafood ... It already stinks when the sea breeze comes in off the Gulf ...
The gulf coast beaches to the west of the Mississippi are already a mess.
superdave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #26
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc9193 View Post
Nice,

I worked on chinook/cascade for petrobras here in the states. I currently work for BP as an inspector on the Galapagos project
Were you on those projects in the drilling phase and if so, which rig... I worked on a rig working for Petrobras on the third exploration well they ever dug in the Gulf. I was on the Ocean Voyager at that time.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
The world needs oil. As harsh as it sounds, lives lost and environmental damage will not stop drilling. Sometimes people die and/or the earth gets a bit messed up so that the gears can keep turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #28
RipGear

Drives: '74 Vette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Think they will install the $500,000 blowout valves on these wells now? The ones the oil companies thought were too expensive and are required elsewhere to drill. How do they look now? This is going to cost more than $500k in just lost product alone not to mention the environmental damage. A well as the loss of life for the workers and the grief for their families.
Hello Mike,
The media is not correctly reporting the details about the Horizon or any drilling rig for that matter. Every subsea drilling rig has a blowout preventer (BOP) that is installed on the wellhead during drilling operations. They are typically worth 8-15 million depending on options. The device you are trying to talk about is called an acoustic pod. The acoustic pod is a backup device used to function the BOP in an emergency situation. There are three operating systems on the Horizon BOP - yellow pod functions, blue pod functions, and the backup remotely operated vehicle (ROV) functions. The ROV has tried to function the shear rams (valve) to seal off the well with no luck. There is a picture of this on many of the news stories showing the arm of the ROV attached to the shear ram close function. The acoustic pod is only able to perform the same functions as the ROV and thus would still be useless at fixing the Horizon leak. Something on or inside the valve seems to be broken and no amount of backup devices would be able to fix it.

P.S. - Sorry for the long post.
2006 Troy-Bilt Weed Eater, I1 4-Stroke, M1
2010 Camaro #64281, 2SS/RS, L99, RJT, Black Leather, Black Rallys
RipGear is offline   Reply With Quote