Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Do you drive your S/C daily?
Yes, I drive it everyday and it's my primary vehicle 24 68.57%
Nope, I have another vehicle I use as my daily driver 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Anyone S/C their daily driver?

Just curious if anyone who has actually supercharged their SS uses it as a daily driver? I.e. it's their primary vehicle.

I've love to add a Maggie but at the moment, it's my daily driver.
zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
can you afford the downtime of a blown engine? can you afford a new engine at any given moment? go for it, if so.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I'm more concerned with drive ability. A simple tune will void the power-train warranty so that point is moot. I don't track my car but I would like it to be a little more ballsy. Also looks like companies such as LPE offer a warranty.
zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
can you afford the downtime of a blown engine? can you afford a new engine at any given moment? go for it, if so.
That seems a bit extreme. I have an 05 corvette with a maggie for 4 years and 75000 miles on it. Todays S/Cs are very reliable and streetable. Look at the ZR1, CTSV, and um . the next Z28 will have one. Nuff said.
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There are many people that DD their SC'd cars. It's when you beat the crap out of it often or push for every last HP, that you get burned. Keep a safe tune on it and pay attention to what you're doing and your engine will last a long time.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Entaille

why is what I said extreme? it's a good idea to have enough $$ laying around to either pick up another car (or rental) or engine if your shit blows up. throwing in FI into an engine not entirely designed around it is ALWAYS taking a gamble - good tune or not, FI is complicated and somewhat risky.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
mines my daily driver, car feels stock with the maggie if you want it to. If you want it to be bad then hit the gas pedal and welcome the chaos. With the way I drive, my gas millege is the same as it was stock, so no complaints from me. Personally, I say screw warranties, they will try everything to get out of it, save the money for a engine rebuild if needed.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
why is what I said extreme? it's a good idea to have enough $$ laying around to either pick up another car (or rental) or engine if your shit blows up. throwing in FI into an engine not entirely designed around it is ALWAYS taking a gamble - good tune or not, FI is complicated and somewhat risky.
I respectfully disagree. These motors are more than capable of handling the added stresses of a low psi even moderatly boosted motor. You can drive them daily for a very long time with nothing more than regular oil changes.
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
Another thing to consider is the factory SC engines have a much lower compression ratio.
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Entaille

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMMMM View Post
I respectfully disagree. These motors are more than capable of handling the added stresses of a low psi even moderatly boosted motor. You can drive them daily for a very long time with nothing more than regular oil changes.
I never said the motors weren't capable. I am trying to convince the guy that it would be best to have a nest-egg of some sort in savings if this is his daily driver and he will be boosting it. FI setup's are not as reliable as N/A setups, and owners should be prepared for any complications that may or may not arise.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
YLWJKT

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
I never said the motors weren't capable. I am trying to convince the guy that it would be best to have a nest-egg of some sort in savings if this is his daily driver and he will be boosting it. FI setup's are not as reliable as N/A setups, and owners should be prepared for any complications that may or may not arise.

What complications are those? Have you ever owned a supercharged car?

To the op. Every gas powered car I've owned since 2004 has had a S/C on it. Everything from a Jeep Wrangler with a Kenne Bell to my curerent DD a 2010 A6 Camaro. I drive an average of 10-12k a year and have had no issues.

Buy a well designed and supported kit. If you don't have the mechanical skills to install it yourself, have it professionally installed by a reputable place.
Be conservative, avoid the temptation to eke out extra power with additional boost or other mods to add power.
Don't drive it everywhere like a mad man, perform your regularly scheduled maintenance and you'll have no more issues than if you were stock.
As far as driveability?
My Camaro is no different than stock except when I push the gas pedal down. It starts and runs hot or cold, it idles in traffic with the AC on and does nothing other than give me a big grin!
YLWJKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Sorry, but i've never had issues with going FI as well.
Doesn't mean that your friend's friend blew up their engine means it happens all the time or whatever else you've heard on the internet.

Had a previous car go 100k miles on an aftermarket turbo and no issues til the day I sold it.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I just dropped my L99 off at Vengeance Racing this morning for a supercharger (see signature for details). It is a daily driver.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
I've supercharged just about every daily driver I've owned in the last 10 years. Camaro got one of the early TVS Maggies installed on it, and the wife drives it almost daily. There is ZERO drivability change with a blower, the only difference is when you floor the throttle. These cars drive just like stock otherwise. Except they feel a LOT lighter