Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #169
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER1 View Post
First off, Caverman, you have your way with words. I am motivated to get the H1 kit from TRS. Also, this shows that a happy customer is the best advertisement!

Secondly, after countless hours of going back and forth between all of the threads and retrofit links, aac, etc. I have decided I want to do this. However, I am worried about wiring more than the whole taking apart the headlight ordeal because the aftermarket headlight is supposedly easier. After the problems dme had (well, he did have halos and fog light kit), I am not motivated to do this myself, and mess this up.

Does anyone have any experience with the difficulty of the total project? Also, what about time?

Thank you,
Ryan
Wiring the HID is easy. All plug-n-play that can be reversed if needed. The first time you ever do it, it might take you a good hour or so. Once you've done one or two you can do it in probably 30 min.

Go thorough this thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=install

I hated to hear the bad experience that dme had as well. Sounds like he definately got the run around and adding all the halos and fog lights might have contributed to the issues but still there is no real excuse why he couldn't have gotten his stuff done right the first time.

You know that AAC has a Houston location now. They do retrofits as well using Morimoto products. Be prepared to pay but that might be a option if you want someone else to do the work.

You can still talk to TRS and see if they would setup the projectors in the housings. Then you could take it from there. I was only charged $150 + shipping for TRS to setup my projectors in thier housings but I didn't have halos done either. That definately throws more work into the issue.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #170
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Do not go to AAC. They will hack your housings up. If anything go to TRS.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #171
SILVER1
Camaro>

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice 1LT
Caverman (I feel weird calling you by username), but you confused me on linking me to your HID install. Correct me if I am wrong, but you installed a HID kit from AAC, then after that you went to TRS and installed the H1 kit. Wouldn't you just need to replace the Halogen bulb and place in the projector? I do believe you don't need HID to add to the retrofit. Correct me if I am wrong. But I was just asking on your retrofit install, not your HID.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #172
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER1 View Post
Caverman (I feel weird calling you by username), but you confused me on linking me to your HID install. Correct me if I am wrong, but you installed a HID kit from AAC, then after that you went to TRS and installed the H1 kit. Wouldn't you just need to replace the Halogen bulb and place in the projector? I do believe you don't need HID to add to the retrofit. Correct me if I am wrong. But I was just asking on your retrofit install, not your HID.
I initially did the HID bulb kit from AAC. That included the bulbs, ballasts, and harness to plug into your factory headlight harness.

About a year later I learned about doing an HID projector retrofit. I contacted TRS and bought the projectors, shrouds, and bulbs from them. I sent them a set of used Halogen headlights I bought off the forum and had them open those up, install the projector and bulbs, align everything and then send those back to me. Cost me $150 for the install but I didn't do halos or anything like that....just a basic retrofit.

I didn't need to pay for the H1 kit from TRS because I basically had that from my Oracle H1 kit I had already installed.

The link I probably sent you was from my original H1 bulb kit install that I did. If I remember you were worried about doing the H1 kit because it was dealing with the electrical. I wanted to show you it's easy and all plug-n-play.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #173
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
I handmade headlight housings back in 09' when I did my el camaro nose conversions, there were no used setups available then.I'll eventually get a set &combine what I like in mine with a stock housing & projectors used in this thread.
I used a junkyard sylvania glass projector & silverstar bulbs. My lexan lenses are 1/2" thick, not very good light output at all.
For around the projector I turned a piece of black uhmv plastic on a lathe. Made 6" halo rings from 3/4" acrylic tubes & cut marks in back, no bulbs installed yet.
My goal was for them to look more like a big eyeball staring you down, which I think I accomplished.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #174
Unfkwthabl

Drives: 2011 V6 Synergy Green Camaro
Apollo shrouds FTW..

Unfkwthabl is offline   Reply With Quote