Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
IOM-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 2G1FT1EWXA9163596
Thumbs up drive shaft

For several weeks when I let the clutch out, I could hear a clicking noise what was that! It would occur in first gear from 0-10 mph click click click then stop. After taking Mr. Goodwrench for a ride, we both heard it. Mr. Goodwrench nspected the car service manager informed me that the tig weld on the drive shaft was faulty. Is the Camaro still ok to drive? Yes, it is go ahead and drive your car. New drive shaft will arrive in 1 week. Defective drive shaft shipped to Detroit examined. I consider this a minor defect it could have been worse going down the freeway at 70 mph, six months one year from now, causing major damage to the undercarriage of my Camaro my keen ear Mr. Goodwrench years of experience prevented anything major happening. Thank you for averting major damage to my Camaro.
IOM-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno-Orange-Metallic View Post
For several weeks when I let the clutch out, I could hear a clicking noise what was that! It would occur in first gear from 0-10 mph click click click then stop. After taking Mr. Goodwrench for a ride, we both heard it. Mr. Goodwrench nspected the car service manager informed me that the tig weld on the drive shaft was faulty. Is the Camaro still ok to drive? Yes, it is go ahead and drive your car. New drive shaft will arrive in 1 week. Defective drive shaft shipped to Detroit examined. I consider this a minor defect it could have been worse going down the freeway at 70 mph, six months one year from now, causing major damage to the undercarriage of my Camaro my keen ear Mr. Goodwrench years of experience prevented anything major happening. Thank you for averting major damage to my Camaro.
Arrive in a week?

Ask your dealer why they did not overnight the part. GM pays the dealer to overnight parts when needed. If they put the order on a weekly pad order to get the pad order discount - they are scum.

Should be on an overnight CSO order. And no I wouldn't drive a car with a broken driveshaft weld.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno-Orange-Metallic View Post
Is the Camaro still ok to drive? Yes, it is go ahead and drive your car.
No way!!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
IOM-SS

Smile drive shaft

update: the drive shaft has arrived. yesterday the service manager called informed me that he received a memo from Chevy. it stated that there are two bolts that needed replacing including the drive shaft they will be in monday. patiently waiting for my parts to arrive
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Any chance you could snap some pics of the drive shaft before they take it? Just curious as to what the defect looks like.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM-SS View Post
update: the drive shaft has arrived. yesterday the service manager called informed me that he received a memo from Chevy. it stated that there are two bolts that needed replacing including the drive shaft they will be in monday. patiently waiting for my parts to arrive
They have no clue what they are doing. I just looked at the service manual and it very clear on what nuts and bolts are not reusable in a drive shaft replacement. Even a big - Important statement with arrows pointing to the bolts not to reuse.

I'd ask them, did you open the service manual? The instructions really couldn't be any simpler.

There is no memo, they are covering their lazy lying ass. The memo is called step 7 in the service manual.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
IOM-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Any chance you could snap some pics of the drive shaft before they take it? Just curious as to what the defect looks like.
was informed yesterday that a memo was receive from GM that the bolts are defective, i believe to small in diameter, need new bolts with "teflon bushings" will be here next Monday. excuse the delay i am still learning how to use this site

in california when parts are replaced it is the law that the defective part will be returned to the owner of the vehicle. i will post photos of the broken tig weld replacement
teflonbushing/bolt to me sounds like the bolt is to small in diameter that is why it is clicking
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
IOM-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
They have no clue what they are doing. I just looked at the service manual and it very clear on what nuts and bolts are not reusable in a drive shaft replacement. Even a big - Important statement with arrows pointing to the bolts not to reuse.

I'd ask them, did you open the service manual? The instructions really couldn't be any simpler.

There is no memo, they are covering their lazy lying ass. The memo is called step 7 in the service manual.
will call tomorrow find out what is going on have not been driving the car much just around town i will keep you posted informed on the progress
Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
IOM-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
in California it is the law that any part that is replaced the old part be given to the owner of the car will take photos broken tig weld drive shaft/old bolts and post them/send them to you