Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
EWMAN

Drives: 2011 2SS RS L99 Blk/Blk
warranty cost?

Just had my 2011 2SSRS serviced at a local dealer here in SoCal.

supposedly a 15,000 mile service,

LOF
adjust tire pressure
10 point inspection
adj brakes
balance and rotate the wheels
inspect exhaust system
svc TB replace air filter
and what they call a MPV...multi point vehicle inspection
AND check for rough Idle

lube oil and filter.... I can understand an oil filter and new oil, but just what is it that they "Lube" ? ( I can make a guess and it requires KY )

10 point inspection? hmmmm

Adjust the Brakes? how do you adjust Disc Brakes?

Balance and rotate tires? cannot do that with the different size tires on the SS

inspect the exhaust system....?

Service the throttle body and replace the air cleaner,? How do you service a TB and my air cleaner is a K&N dry filter, NO change

what is a Multi point inspection?

So what they actually did was change the oil and filter , looked at a few things, checked the air in the tires.
and charged me $289
for about an hour of labor

Is this NORMAL?

Evil, Wick, Mean and Nasty

Aut Vinceri, Aut Mori
EWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Holy Crap! I try and do my own oil changes for that reason. One place in my area wanted $100 for an oil change. Way to much IMO
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
If you had done that analysis before you took the car in for service, you would have saved yourself $289 minus whatever an oil change and multi-point inspection done by yourself would have cost

Edit:

But from the other perspective, think about someone who doesn't have the tools/knowledge/space to do maintenance on their own vehicles. Having someone do and check things on your vehicle is worth SOMETHING, but how much?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Raped
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
lurker

Drives: 2013 Challenger SXT Redline
I think they got you. But they probably put a little check mark in the back of yuor owner's manual that says you had the 15K miles service done. Which could be considered a CYA for you in the event of any questionable warranty claims in the future.

I've never had the scheduled maintenance checkups done, because I'm pretty sure the Ford guys do all that anyway evertime I take it in for an oil change (except tire rotation and brake adjustment, and I don't rotate tires anyway).
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWMAN View Post
Just had my 2011 2SSRS serviced at a local dealer here in SoCal.

supposedly a 15,000 mile service,

LOF
adjust tire pressure
10 point inspection
adj brakes
balance and rotate the wheels
inspect exhaust system
svc TB replace air filter
and what they call a MPV...multi point vehicle inspection
AND check for rough Idle

lube oil and filter.... I can understand an oil filter and new oil, but just what is it that they "Lube" ? ( I can make a guess and it requires KY )

10 point inspection? hmmmm

Adjust the Brakes? how do you adjust Disc Brakes?

Balance and rotate tires? cannot do that with the different size tires on the SS

inspect the exhaust system....?

Service the throttle body and replace the air cleaner,? How do you service a TB and my air cleaner is a K&N dry filter, NO change

what is a Multi point inspection?

So what they actually did was change the oil and filter , looked at a few things, checked the air in the tires.
and charged me $289
for about an hour of labor

Is this NORMAL?

lol. as P.T. Barnum used to say, there's one born every minute.

as for what they did, probably just the oil change. when they say "lube" it usually means adding grease to joints in the suspension. I'm not 100% sure about the camaro, but with most cars 20 years old or newer everything is sealed and neither can be, nor needs to be, lubed. the only brake that can be adjusted is the parking brake, and at 15k doesn't need i,. tire balance is $25 at any oil change place (but you couldn't even get done), exhaust system will be fine at 15k unless your spraying water up the tailpipes on a regular basis, gave you a $10 air filter and probably didn't do anything to your TB, and just looked over your vehicle.

you should know better. they started calling me 2 months after I got my car. when I didn't answer the phone, the salesman who sold me it actually called and left a message that the service dept was trying to get a hold of me. so the next time they called I answered it. they asked me when I wanted to come in for my first service on my car, and I asked them why I would want to do it. they started to give me the song and dance about taking care of my investment when I interrupted and told them the car was 2 months old, had 1100 miles on it, and what in the hell could it possibly need done to it. they thanked me for my purchase and hung up.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Sounds like a service check list from 30 years ago...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
You agreed to this service before they started working on your car?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Sounds like a service check list from 30 years ago...lol
It pretty much is. It's a "canned" service, so that's how it reads on the invoice. Some applies, some doesn't. Unfortunately, the prices are usually fixed for a given service, regardless of how many of those checks and items are applicable to your car.

It's set up that way for every dealer that I've ever seen. Oh, and this isn't warranty, btw.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Rotolo, just a few miles up the road from you, does the oil change, tire rotation (for those of us can benefit from one!), the multi-point vehicle inspection for under $50... price varies with mood and season.

BTW, the "multi-point vehicle inspections" are generally fluff/ BS. I have taken vehicles in at other locations (can't say it's happened at Rotolo) with deadlines that I knew about: Low fluid, brake light out, whatever. ALWAYS get the checklist back, wtih everything checked off as "Good." I've also had a good time, every time, confronting them on it, and EVERY time, it's "just an oversight." They really don't check anything, ever: They just charge you for it, and SAY they did it... although they may take that opportunity to "discover" that you need new flux capacitors, Fetzer valves, or an internal engine lobotomy.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Sadly, a lot of the tech's that do the basic labor like oil change/rotate/balance and so on are paid low hourly wages and could frankly care less about your prized possession.
Dealerships are there to make money and believe me parts mark-up is ridiculous. It's what I do to pay my bills, trust me. The same TB cleaner they probably used retails at $24.98 where I work. Expect a minimum 50% mark-up on everything you buy. That's why online outlets like GMPartsDirect get so much business.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
EWMAN

Drives: 2011 2SS RS L99 Blk/Blk
All this is about what I expected. Thanks guys, by the way Scalded Dog, it was Rotolo

Learn a lesson every day, this one was just a little bit expensive. Will NOT happen again.

I HAD been working with one of the sales persons on purchasing a new 2013 ZL1 Vert when they come out. don't think I will be doing that with these people.

Evil, Wick, Mean and Nasty

Aut Vinceri, Aut Mori

Last edited by EWMAN; 06-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.
EWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
You were taken to the cleaners. Sorry. And going down that list, I have to wonder if they were looking at the check list for a 1969 Camaro.

Lube usually means greasing suspension components....something not done on any new car anymore.

As far as I know, brakes don't get adjusted anymore.

Balance tires every oil change? Sounds like overkill. And like you said, you can't rotate them.

Service throttle body? Also sounds unnecessary. I've never done that, and my 157K mile daily driver still runs like new.

And all the multi-point inspections....the basically looked at your brake pads to make sure they where still there, checked your coolant level, and topped off your washer fluid.

If you ever go to a dealership again for an oil change, ask for just an oil change, never the XXXXX mile service. The by the check list services are generally a rip-off, and sometimes, it's the dealership's list, not GM's.

Some dealers are actually quite reasonable, and some are not. If you get Motor Trend, page through the long-term test section and look at some of the bills they get hit up for when they follow the exact service department check schedule as the dealer. They've spend $500 to $1000, or sometimes even more, on some of the cars for just the first year maintenance. Other cars, its like $50. Sounds like you have one of the $500-1000 a year dealers.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Go back and ask the service manager if hell give you a big wet kiss......your breaking the usual order of getting the kiss before getting screwed that hard, but it's worth a try.