Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rebel View Post
Thats crazy, if that can be proven i would be looking for a good lawyer. Thankfully my cats are gutted
The problem with this is, most manufacturers will only issue a warranty on THEIR parts...that's where an enthusiast needs to take care to avoid these problems by doing some research and protecting themselves...some aftermarket parts don't work well with each other.

I'm curious....do any of these Hi-flow cat's claim to be for use with FI applications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
So, all these supercharged cars like the ZL1 and GT500 both putting out great power, should there be many problems with te stock cars for future customers? I would assume so, because there running stock cats and not even high flows.
Nope. Because they've been designed from the factory to handle their own power, heat, and pressures. I'm not sniping at the aftermarket when I say this...but there is an inherent advantage to OEM equipment where durability is concerned...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #30
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
The ones I know of are all FI motors( one a built stroker motor with less than 5000 miles)

In Febuary,when the TVS goes on my car the cats are gone.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
FloMoCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
600... Wheel or crank? Big difference and important.
Ooops - sorry - 600rwhp
Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #32
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
No it can't bust your motor or smash valves into a piston. It could overheat a cylinder if it plugs up BUT the engine will run very poorly and you will know something is wrong....if you keep driving it that way then you get what you deserve for being stupid.

I think much of the issue is that many tuners run their FI tunes extremely RICH in order to keep the motor from detonating and therefore blowing up.....RICH......kills the cats. It isn't the cats fault...it's the tuners fault, imho.
Mine was tuned a few times, initially running a bit rich but that was corrected and we had it tuned just right.
My engine actually went; piston #6 damaged too. I've done research on my exhaust and supposed to be the best of the best from the partular vendor I used. However, I'm still going to have my CATs looked at just to make sure they're not melted.
I don't want 2nd. motor busted if this was the cause. There was no detonation, no codes, but valve bent, and hole in piston. We just assumed it was due to crappy hollow GM exhaust valves and we should have changed them along with the rest of the head assembly.
This is quite rediculous in my mind. I can't get my head wrapped around, upgrading exhaust, with HF CATS which are designed for high performance engines and they melt, blowing back into cylinders? I don't understand that logic. I've never seen a vendor quote their CATS will melt if more than x-hundred HP. There is really something very wrong with this picture, and I agree with 69 Rebel could be cause for lawuits if this is in fact causing engine issues for most people.
Might be a good idea to post brand and model of CATS everyone has to get the vendors and / or manufacturers to pipe up and let us know whats going on or how to avert this type of issue.
Buying CATS just to gut them, just to avoid a blown engine doesn't seem the way to go.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #33
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
It's a known problem in the Mustang community that the KOOKS high flow cats are crap.

There have been a couple people lost their motors because of them.

interesting.....cant believe it.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #34
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Interesting.... I have a rattle in my left HF cat.. I've not opened the pipes to look at them though..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #35
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Nope. Because they've been designed from the factory to handle their own power, heat, and pressures. I'm not sniping at the aftermarket when I say this...but there is an inherent advantage to OEM equipment where durability is concerned...
Hmm...That's interesting, thank you.

I wonder if these cars (ZL1 and GT500) will start to see stock cat issues when the power is raised to the levels some folks have on here 600rwhp or more). It's so true though, OEM and aftermarket parts may have two different ideas of what "quality" components are.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether I should sell my High Flow Cats (JBA) that I haven't installed yet, and just go with Mid-pipes without cats. I don't want to have future problems with the cats. Once I get them installed and have the car retuned, I plan to hit 600-650rwhp.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #36
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Most Cat Converters are Sized and designed around the Cubic inches of the Engine.

In this case 6.2 Liters, they will live a Happy and Productive Life.

Add a Supercharger with Say 7-8 PSI they 6.2 Liter Engine just became 9.3 Liters which far exceeds the Cat Design which causes Overheating and Failure.

The Cats need to be Double they're current Size to handle the Additional cubic inches.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Most Cat Converters are Sized and designed around the Cubic inches of the Engine.

Add a Supercharger with Say 7-8 PSI they 6.2 Liter Engine just became 9.3 Liters which far exceeds the Cat Design which causes Overheating and Failure.

The Cats need to be Double they're current Size to handle the Additional cubic inches.

Ted.
Does that apply to the high flows as well. Can some of the high flow cats on the current market handle boosted LS3's at 8-10psi? How long do high flow cats usually lasted on turbocharged or supercharged LS3's?

I wonder if it would be better to go with mid pipes w/out cats. High flows would be a waste of money if they keep blowing out all the time. I'm nervous about this and I'm on the stock cats.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #38
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Does that apply to the high flows as well.
YES.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
TCAT

Thanks Ted. Well, I guess I'm selling my high flow cats and getting mid pipes, lol.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #40
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Ted.
Can you recommend brands you know that will hold up to 9.3+litres?

Last edited by calbert1999; 11-21-2011 at 11:36 AM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Can you recommend brands you know that will hold up to 9.3+litres?
If they existed
Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #42
TCAT

Edit

Last edited by TCAT; 11-21-2011 at 12:12 PM.