Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not even shorties? Maybe just straight pipes from the manifolds back to the mufflers, then....

Though....I hate to say it, the ZL1's exhaust may very well get you pulled over in Cali Stock......
I might still do shorties, but only if they give a little more power. Sound-wise, I think I'm going to be fairly happy and not have to worry about another loud exhaust ticket, LOL. I'll be definately removing any resonators before the mufflers though, and see to it the pipes are 3-inch mandrel-bent. I love the looks, too. I'm thinking making the by-pass for the open setting completely sealed will be exactly what I'm looking for. If someone gets some CARB-shorties, I'll definately be giving them a look though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I know what I am about to say will probably not go over well on this forum, but no matter what kind of exhaust you put on a GM V8, it will never sound as good as the exahust on a V8 Mustang. I know it's all to do with the firing order, but it still sad that GM's just sound loud versus good, IMHO.
I don't fault you for your opinion. Stock-for-stock though, I don't agree. Even will full exhaust, that 5.0 doesn't do it as much for me though. JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #58
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I might still do shorties, but only if they give a little more power. Sound-wise, I think I'm going to be fairly happy and not have to worry about another loud exhaust ticket, LOL. I'll be definately removing any resonators before the mufflers though, and see to it the pipes are 3-inch mandrel-bent. I love the looks, too. I'm thinking making the by-pass for the open setting completely sealed will be exactly what I'm looking for. If someone gets some CARB-shorties, I'll definately be giving them a look though.
Mild to wild switch would be awesome
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #59
KeeBee

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS, 70 1/2 SS Camaro
Sounds sweet. But my Harley is still louder.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #60
Camaromonkey

Drives: 396 '75 Camaro, '01 2500 Silverado
I, for one, cannot wait to get mine in the garage and listen to her roar. It's a good thing I live so far from any neighbors. IMO, the ZL1 IS the best no matter what Ford has to offer.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #61
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
Looks like I will definitely be trading in my SS for one of those!
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #62
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
I WANT ONE
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #63
PIANOMN
Epic; Winning!

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
Looks like I will definitely be trading in my SS for one of those!
My wife has given me a very firm "NO" on trading in our 1SS ABM... However she has agreed to let me buy the ZL1 as long as I give her the ABM... As much as I love the color on my car I may just have to agree!! I hope they make some sort of lighter blue for the ZL1, and I wish they would offer the Atomic Orange Metallic found on corvettes... That would be the best looking color IMO
PIANOMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #64
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
I know what I am about to say will probably not go over well on this forum, but no matter what kind of exhaust you put on a GM V8, it will never sound as good as the exahust on a V8 Mustang. I know it's all to do with the firing order, but it still sad that GM's just sound loud versus good, IMHO.
Quote:

I don't fault you for your opinion. Stock-for-stock though, I don't agree. Even will full exhaust, that 5.0 doesn't do it as much for me though. JMVHO.

Totally agree, I think the 5.0 mustangs sounds good too but to say it blows away the Camaro just isn’t true. I think the stock exhaust on an SS is a little toned down and could use some tweaking (more on the “turn up the volume” end) but I believe GM is showing us what they can do with the ZL1.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I dunno, I think it sounds terrible.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #66
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaromonkey View Post
I, for one, cannot wait to get mine in the garage and listen to her roar. It's a good thing I live so far from any neighbors. IMO, the ZL1 IS the best no matter what Ford has to offer.
The Camaro pretty much always has been the better performing car over the Msutang, but just the 4th gen Camaros were butt ugly and didn't sell as well. 80's Camaros looked good but not as good as the Stangs. Still, they always outperformed the Mustangs.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
makes me wonder if it will be legal. GM might have them in "open"mode for now, maybe they will be quieter when closed
Nope. That's it - a working prototype!!

See...the fun part is, there's a drive-by test they must pass...and if I'm wrong please someone correct me...but I don't think the test is as wide-open throttle....so while you're cruising the valves are closed at the noise is awesome, but tame (both to eliminate some drone and pass the test)

On start-up, however, as seen in the video...flaps are open and the sound is glorious!!

Quote:
To each his own -- I'm not gonna give you a hard time for it. But I feel the exact opposite! SBC's are the best-sounding engine in the world, to my ears. Ford V8s are up there....but to me they aren't even close.

Quote:
I'm just pullin' your chain. After hearing it start up and rev in person...I can't say I'm feeling the need to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
I dunno, I think it sounds terrible.
Hmmm...may need to see an otolaryngologist for that....
Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #68
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Thumbs up

I like the sound. It sounds like a muscle car should. My 2011 is soo quiet but that will changed after LT's.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #69
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
Sounds sweet. But my Harley is still louder.
+1!! My Road King's definitely got it on the decibels!!

But I must say, I'm looking forward to hearing the ZL1 crank up in my driveway!!!
10forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #70
edz10ss

Drives: Silver Metalic Ice w/ black Stripes
I think the ZL1 sounds better than any 5.slow or shelby I have heard. I do like the sound of the Ford's. I agree, at lower rpm's the ford sounds real good, but when I have my foot into it, sorry blue oval boys, chevy killz it
edz10ss is offline   Reply With Quote