Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
TXsilvy

Drives: camaro
kenne bell questions

long story short, I bought someone else's project and I'm trying to work my way through it.

1) is there a way to determine what size blower I have strapped on top of my motor? I believe it is a 3.6. is the 2.8 and 3.6 different dimensionally? Kenne Bell told me there was a number stamped on the bottom of the blower "snout", but I have searched and came up with nothing.

2) what is normal IAT temps with one of these things, and where the heck is the IAT sensor located? it seems like it would be one of those easy sensors to find, but I'm not finding one. average cruising shows around 150 IAT. I haven't gotten into the boost much because the guy who tuned it set it at 24.5* of timing at 13.6 AFR...also the 80e is slipping, or has bad linkage due to this junky ass pretty B&M shifter. that's for another rant lol.

3) are there any instructions anywhere for a pulley swap? I have extra pulleys, and the tools to do it...but no instructions.

4) in the picture below, is that the original Kenne Bell pulley system that comes with a kit? all of the pictures I see online look different.

here is a picture of the blower incase anyone can tell a 3.6 from 2.8 by a picture alone. there just doesn't seem to be much information out there on these things and the KB website is a cluster. I sent a picture to KB for some information and never heard back from them. Thanks to the members in advance for any info

TXsilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
I have no idea and I hate when people get off topic but that MoFo is BADASS!
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
That is a 3.6....I can tell by the shape of it. It has a more ovaled body than the 2.8. I have a 2.8....you can search my posts and see the pics of my 2.8. It could also be a 4.2L or a 4.7L. I think they have the same shape as the 3.6 but different height and length. Call up Livernois or other shops if you can't get Kenne Bell to respond. They have installed the various types. My guess is it's a 3.6 because I think the bigger ones really push back against the firewall and need some work there. The 3.6 just needs a cowl hood because it's too high. I could be wrong...but that's what I can recollect from my research.

The IAT's on these run in the range of 30-40 degrees over ambient. That's for my 2.8 which has the newer upgraded intercooler brick. I bet that larger 3.6 makes some more heat. So seeing IAT's in the 150 range is a bit high...but it all depends on what boost you are running. Do you have a boost gauge on it and know what boost you are running?

The IAT sensor should be in the intake manifold on drivers side....below the injectors. At least that's where it's at on mine

And 24* of timing at 13 AFR is way off and dangerous. Was he running 120 octane race fuel? You need a way better tune if you plan to run pump gas. Are the internals the stock LS components or are they forged with lower compression?

Pulley swap is easy. Just take the belt off and change the pulley. I'll check the torque specs and get back to you with those. That's the only real thing to ensure you check. The rest is self explanatory.

Tell us more about your engine and boost and the questions I asked above. Feel free to PM me too.

Nice ride!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
TXsilvy

it was tuned on 93 pump with meth injection. it's a forged 408 stroker with ported LS3 heads. compression is a bit high for boost, but not unheard of. I think it calculated to about 10.3 or so. the big pulley has the blower pushing 12psi (I think it's a 4" pulley). it was tuned at some chevy dealership. I contacted the tuner before buying the car just looking for any info on the quality of the car (before l made the 6 hour drive to look at it). he said it was a nice car and it tuned "mildly aggressive but not on kill". I would hate to see one of his kill mode tunes! it starts and cruises ok, but at WOT I'm not comfortable with 24* and 13.6. the fuel trims fighting to keep the motor in command and are all over the place compensating for either a bad tune, or something funky wrong. my money is on the tune. I'm debating adding dominator EFI to the mix, but $$$$.

are there any identifying marks on the blower that I could supply to KB to see which intercooler is inside without cracking it open? I'd like to keep this thing as cool as possible.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
TXsilvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillshooter View Post
I have no idea and I hate when people get off topic but that MoFo is BADASS!
Thanks!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsilvy View Post
Thanks!

Wow that is clean looking car!!

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Thats a shit ton of timing and a real lean AFR for pump gas and meth. Find yourself a tuner before you to WOT
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
TXsilvy

Yeah i know. the guy that tuned it was supposed to be a professional tuner and works for some kind of gm performance dealership in AR. Gauntey chevrolet or something like that. After seeing the log, i cant say i would reccommend them to anyone. This new pcm has me stumped with no VE table and i dont want to buy credits if i ultimately go with dominator efi.

I have other little bugs to work before the tune... Like figuring out if i need to upgrade the intercooler and heat exchanger. The 4 link is setup wrong and the coilovers out back are shot. Ill just stay out of boost until i work the kinks.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
cc-rider

I see now that its a 69. I missed that the first time. Awesome car!

That tune just might be the worst I have ever heard of. Even with 93 and meth...there is no way in hell anyone would ever tune with that timing and afr. Not to mention 12 psi is on the higher end of boost...and the compression is still on the high end at 10:1. There is simply nothing in that setup to support 24 degrees of timing and 13:1 afr.

But the good news is that it's an easy fix for a tuner.

What an awesome car! That huge 408 needed the big Kenne Bell just to keep up. I bet your laying down some huge numbers on the dyno. Keep us informed of how it goes.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
TXsilvy

so nobody knows of any stamped numbers or a way to tell if it has a biggun intercooler or the old one?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
cc-rider

Not that I know of. You need to try to trace the lineage of that engine build. I think KB just released the big gun intercooler only a year ago. There are some press releases that you might be able to find a date for it. But the only real way is to tear it all down and look. And it's probably not worth it just to find that out...
Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
TXsilvy

can anyone explain to me how the exchangers work together? I have a 5 gallon reserve in the back seat that is circulating antifreeze. is that to the exchanger in the grill, or inside of the charger? or both?? it is frustrating stepping in on the back side of a project and not knowing how it all works! I've always been a N/A and nitrous guy. so much easier with less plumbing.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #13
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Gwatney Performance Innovation in Jacksonville AR? He's a pretty reputable tuner. Im sure he knows what he was doing. You might want to double check on the timing and afr with him. I think he's a sponsor here
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
jamesr

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss
yea the guys at Gwatney pretty good