Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
GameOver620

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
Camaro... good idea as 1st car?

I've been reading the different threads for a while and I noticed that many kids seem to be interested in a Camaro as their first car. Do you guys think it's a good idea? How young is too young?
GameOver620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
15 is too young. Everyone should have a car that they enjoy so long as they can enjoy it maturely. Don't drive like a punk 16-year-old to avoid getting ridiculed for having such a nice starter ride.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver620 View Post
I've been reading the different threads for a while and I noticed that many kids seem to be interested in a Camaro as their first car. Do you guys think it's a good idea? How young is too young?
Well depends on who you ask what kind of answer you will get. Most younger people will say Yeah sure why not, while most older people that have either had one themselves when they were your age or had a son or daughter that got one will say nope get some experience in a non sportscar first. My opinion is in between... as long as it isn't a Z28 or other high powered Camaro then any V6 would be a good starter car.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
diddiyo

Drives: .
Not a good idea imho. They should practice for a few months (at least!) with something less powerful, there are more important things to watch out for on the road than just putting the pedal to the metal, which quite frankly most kids wanna do.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
dchase

Drives: Avalanche
I wouldnt say first car no. I'm 18 started out driving a truck, and yah i ragged it out, petal to the floor and burnt the tires up. But once your dad tells you that your paying for it, everything changes. I started saving for my camaro now but going to wait cause insurance will kill me. I think some kids can be responsible. My dad trust me driving his porsche around, so i guess im responsible enough. (Think he loves it more then me though so i extremely careful)
dchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I think everyone should start out with a piece of crap car, so they will appreciate something nice and new like a camaro.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
I think everyone should start out with a piece of crap car, so they will appreciate something nice and new like a camaro.

I agree with that.I started with an 82 2.8 v6 POS Camaro.About a year later when i had enough for a good down payment,I graduated to a 90 forumla 350(17 yrs old).By that time i had enough experience under my belt to mature when driving when needed. But i also come from a family where all the guys have muscle cars.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Imo a new car is NEVER a good idea for a new driver. They already have outrageous insurance due to them being new drivers for the 1st 3-4 years so it's not really a good idea to add an extra $200 a month for insurance on a new car not to mention the monthly payments. Plus the statistics of a new driver being involved in a wreak is really high and as much as new cars cost to fix now a days, I don't see how someone still in school can afford the costs.

I would have to say that 20 is about the youngest imo to buy a new car. This way they have gotten the discount from the insurance company if they didn't have a wreak or ticket their first 3-4 years and are hopefully at least a sophomore or a junior in college and has more spare time to get a decent paying job to pay the costs.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
bought my 1st car when i was 18, i didnt even have my license yet, brand new 30k msrp truck for 24k (GMS)
Old 09-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
kashtrey

Drives: '02 Chevy Blazer
It is really hard to set an arbitrary number of who is too young for a new car or certain kind of car; just like it is hard to say that at a certain age someone is a good driver. I mean a lot of 40 year olds are worse drivers than some teenagers.

I for one am buying the car next year probably around October (around my 20th B-day) or around the summer of 2010 depending on if $15,000 will be a good enough down for a SS/RS loaded. It will be my first car in terms of ownership.
kashtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My first car was a '95 Z28 and I was 20 at the time (I borrowed my parents' cars up to then and/or rode my enduro bike to work) and although I did have a '76 Chevy van I drove for a few months, in retrospect, I'm on the fence. I didn't always drive safely but I did most of the time. I was always taking off from lights fast though, and although I never engaged in a game of tag on the freeway, I did have some brief unplanned freeway runs away from traffic.

My point is, that I felt responsible for my car because I was paying for it, therefore, I knew there were consiquences that would effect me directly if I didn't drive responsibly. I don't know there are many young people mature enough to respect a brand new car, that they don't have to pay for, let alone a car like this - even a V6 model. Could I drive a car like this responsibly back in the day? Maybe I shouldn't but probably would've wanted to.

IMVHO, not everyone is the same, but the majority unfortunately, probably isn't responsible enough to have any sports car as a first...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I think as long as the kid is paying for it they should get what they want. I had a 69 Camaro in 1982, paid for it myself took good care of it and never drove like an idiot because if it broke or I wrecked I would have to pay for it. Went to school with many rich kids who drove like crap because they had nothing invested personally. Kids like that will treat everything like crap.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
kashtrey

Drives: '02 Chevy Blazer
Good point, it's hard to respect something that was just given to you. Though I would love to have rich parents to pay for my car, I will be proud to say that I bought my brand new Camaro myself.
kashtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
really it all depends on how your raised, not every kid that is given or is helped by thier parents to get a new car is going to treat it the same.