Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Actually it is 100% personal preference on which one to use. Those that use only cotton claim almost this exact same thing about microfiber. There is no proof what so ever about which one is better and all claims are completely based on bias perceptions.
hes right, each has positives and negatives so i use which either one i have @ the time. MF are softer in my experience, but they have a static-like feature to them which kind of hold dust, cottons ussually aren't as soft but are a lot easier to clean/re use

just my experience and opinion i don't think either can actually be called 'better'
Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Zaino All day long! It build up a protective layer and makes your car look like a mirror!

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
Zaino All day long! It build up a protective layer and makes your car look like a mirror!

I followe their instructions to the T,and they have not failed me,EVER.

As far as drying, I use the absorber http://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Dryin...=pd_sbs_auto_1

I also use one of these with quick connects on my hose when i wash the car
http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html

these work great for bug and tar ,will not scratch paint
http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

and my sponge of choice
http://www.autogeek.net/natseaspon.html
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Man.... all this work for a black Camaro???

That's insane, screw that, no way I would ever go though all that for a car.

Oh wait......... it looks soooooooooooooo damn good all shiny!

Thanks for all the advice, I will have to set up my wash days next Summer.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
Man.... all this work for a black Camaro???

That's insane, screw that, no way I would ever go though all that for a car.

Oh wait......... it looks soooooooooooooo damn good all shiny!

Thanks for all the advice, I will have to set up my wash days next Summer.
i really believe people should do that no matter what color car they own.I also encourage people to go through the whole process of finely detailing their car the first day,or at the latest the first weekend.There is no better way to learn every little piece of paint on your car than doing that.The day my mother brought over her new scion to show me,it looked great,didnt see anything wrong with it.After i got done with it ,i spotted two dents on the roof from hail(or something like that).It was not until i got a mirror finish on it that we were able to see them.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #20
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
I would love a black Camaro, but I don't think I would have the patience to do all that when I wash it. I will see though.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
Rays B4U

Drives: 2003 Silverado SS
For my weekly routine (summer months) washing of my Black Silverado SS I use the Mr. Clean AutoDry System. I use it according to the manufacturers instructions and walk away from the SS and it dries spot free.

Tips:
Prior to the Final Rinse do not allow any of the vehicle to dry, always keep the vehicle COMPLETELY wet before the final rinse.

On the SSS I have areas i.e. door mirrors that trap water and leak down the side, so I make sure I completely flood those with the rinse water feature so the water leaking down the side is the filtered water.

In between my washes I use the California Duster.

Former Camaros's:
[1967 SS350/RS] [1968 Z28 RS] [1967 SS350/RS] [1978 Z28] [1980 Z28]
Rays B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #22
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Actually it is 100% personal preference on which one to use. Those that use only cotton claim almost this exact same thing about microfiber. There is no proof what so ever about which one is better and all claims are completely based on bias perceptions.
I used to own a white car and used 100% cotton on it all the time with zero problems. I purchase the black car and the cotton is SUCH a PITA its unreal. I went out and bought a whole new pack of microfiber towels, washed them, and didnt have a single problem with them. The only thing that is bad about microfiber is that it can sometimes get a static charge. Ill never use 100% cotton again.

Ill never use overpriced Zaino either. Just not worth it to me to get something that is "better" only because the company and its fans say is good.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
One word.

Zaino.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #24
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
Zaino is a PITA. When it works its great, BUT, if it doesn't, it'll be the last time you ever use it. I used Zaino for years when it was fairly new. Then they changed the formula and it was downhill from there. You had to buy drops to get the wax to dry. The drops were 20 bucks, and sometimes the wax wouldn't dry at all even with the drops. Just imagine trying to get that off your car. It was just too inconsistent and not worth the headache IMO. Good Luck with whatever you choose.
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #25
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99ta View Post
Zaino is a PITA. When it works its great, BUT, if it doesn't, it'll be the last time you ever use it. I used Zaino for years when it was fairly new. Then they changed the formula and it was downhill from there. You had to buy drops to get the wax to dry. The drops were 20 bucks, and sometimes the wax wouldn't dry at all even with the drops. Just imagine trying to get that off your car. It was just too inconsistent and not worth the headache IMO. Good Luck with whatever you choose.
The ZFX is only for multiple coats in one day.The polish works just fine for me.You might be putting it on too thick.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #26
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
Everybody always assumes that you put on too much. The truth is that I used Zaino for years before I started having problems. I've spoke with many people that had problems like I did that quit using it as well. If it works for you that's great, but I won't use it anymore.
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
I went ahead and switched my order to black on Friday, but something I have been thinking about the past few days is what is the chance that the car will get swirls from the dealership washing the car when it first arrives there?

Also, on a different note, is it a bad idea to wash the car at one of those quarter car wash places with the high pressure water?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
I went ahead and switched my order to black on Friday, but something I have been thinking about the past few days is what is the chance that the car will get swirls from the dealership washing the car when it first arrives there?

Also, on a different note, is it a bad idea to wash the car at one of those quarter car wash places with the high pressure water?
One thing I found is if they recycle the water it leaves water streaks, unless you dry it off quick. The water retains alot of the soap/chemicals in the process. watch well water too.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote