Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #71
mondain

Drives: toyota
Sounds good! Am I the only one who thought a muffler-less system would sound louder?

Also for those clamoring for dyno numbers, I dont think the numbers would increase all that much considering total airflow has not really been increased, only exhaust flow (at the expense of backpressure, mind you). That's assuming the engine is sucking in air as fast as the stock paper filter allows (unless you already did that and I can't read).

Cold air intake, plus removing the mufflers, and I would expect a bigger increase in gains.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #72
96rss/ls6
Inferno is the only color

Drives: 96 ls6 camaro, iom 2ss/rss /
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Sounds good! Am I the only one who thought a muffler-less system would sound louder?

Also for those clamoring for dyno numbers, I dont think the numbers would increase all that much considering total airflow has not really been increased, only exhaust flow (at the expense of backpressure, mind you). That's assuming the engine is sucking in air as fast as the stock paper filter allows (unless you already did that and I can't read).

Cold air intake, plus removing the mufflers, and I would expect a bigger increase in gains.
Im with you, of course muffler less is gonna be louder, now if you add LT's and remove cats that will definately be louder. But Ithink numbers will slightly increase because you are decreasing restriction, which is adding flow. Im sure the stock filter is capable of a few more cfm than what its doing now.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #73
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Look if you want your exhaust warranty you leave it on. If you take it off it will never wear out so you gain a lifetime warranty.
Since you welded on "Aluminized Steel" pipes to the factory 409 S.S. pipes, those muffler eliminator pipes will rot out twice as fast as the factory 409 S.S. mufflers due to attaching dis-similar metals.

Now if your exhaust shop can do this same thing with 409 pipe, I will agree that the life of the exhaust system should be extended.

Another thing to consider is these huge factory mufflers are part of the car's rear collision crumple zone and without them it is possible that you are compromizing your safety (or at least rear seat passenger safety) if you were ever to get rear-ended.

Now please don't take my comments the wrong way ... I am in no way against this type of mod, and this in particluar was executed perfectly and sounds much better than most muffler deletes I've heard. Just wanted to point out a couple of concerns that may be of importance to some readers.

Thanks for posting it and taking the time to do all the videos ... a job well done !!

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #74
zora2mac8
Deano

Drives: Cyber Gray Metallic SS
gotta drop that clutch a lillllll fadster.. ur gonna wear it... SOUNDS AWESOME THOUGH!! NICEE

HTML Code:
http://ny5thgen.com/ZORAMAC8%20Z.htm
zora2mac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #75
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
LS/LT/SS cars all have true duel exhaust w/ an X-pipe. And yes, the cats (2 per bank, 4 total) do muffle the car a bit.
Everything I've seen and heard points to the Camaro having a stock H-pipe.

I don't know if the absence of the mufflers will affect the design of the structural crumple zone but I agree 100% the metals need to match.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #76
Rocks RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I wonder how the V6 would sound with this mod?

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #77
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdawg View Post
I wonder how the V6 would sound with this mod?

:fighting0040:
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #78
kellyjrt

Drives: 2010 CAMARO ABM 2LT
pipes

If they weighed about 15 lbs each, how much did the factory pipes weigh that were removed/replaced? Just would like to know how much total weight was actually reduced. Sounds great. They will have to add another sign in our city besides the NO Engine Brakes from trucks.
kellyjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #79
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmac View Post
Another thing to consider is these huge factory mufflers are part of the car's rear collision crumple zone and without them it is possible that you are compromizing your safety (or at least rear seat passenger safety) if you were ever to get rear-ended.

Doug
Do you have proof of this, or is it just a guess? I have trouble believing that mufflers are a part of a structural crumple zone. That would mean if you changed to any aftermarket muffler you would change the effect of the zone. But being how it’s not a fixed part of the body it doesn’t seem plausible.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #80
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post

No I have not change the air intake yet. However that is one thing I also think would really help out. Air intake and straight pipes would at most give you 5 to 10 HP in a real world dyno. But if you break it out by cost of mod for HP gained after an Air Ram intake you could get 1 HP for each 50.00. Not bad in the world of things. Add a tune and I would think that gains would be very comperable to what the high dollar mods are getting. I have to throw this out there as my opinion. This is most definately not a mod for the l99 motor. The tuning required for the kickdown system to keep it from sounding like crap when only running on four cylinders would make this not work. It is possible that a good sound could be achieved in the V6 though. I would more than likely add a big resonator to bring the tone down to a lower deeper sound. If you go in with a budget that allows for upgrades then cut the mufflers off and see where you are starting from. If it works for you go for it. If you dont like it then throw some other aftermarket parts at it.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #81
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora2mac8 View Post
gotta drop that clutch a lillllll fadster.. ur gonna wear it... SOUNDS AWESOME THOUGH!! NICEE
No sh%*. Of course the camara had to be on to boot. I have been so busy playing does anyone know how to turn off the traction control BS so it does not bog it down on takeoffs? I suppose I could read the book but who has time when you have a toy to play with. You would have to see me tee off a golf ball to understand that I cant perform under that type of pressure..lol
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 05-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #82
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Larry, I'd wait until you have a few miles on her before you drive it properly.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #83
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Larry, I'd wait until you have a few miles on her before you drive it properly.
Geez, I already have 650 miles on him, Have changed the oil once at 350 miles and kept it under 4000 rpm for the first 450 miles. I have driven him at different speeds and now its time to let it settle in to the life it is going to know and live. lol I am so glad I dont live in a high density residential area. Plenty of room for the horses to play!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #84
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
now why would you want to do this when you can spend $1500 on a borla and get the same performance? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote