Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
CAI Benefits

I know we don't have all the info we need yet on the air intake, but if anyone has an educated guess as to how much benefit we can expect from a good Cold Air Intake for ZL1, I would like to hear it.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
We know ZL1 has an improved dual-path intake. I haven't seen any pics', but to me, my guess is the air box has two inlets, instead of SS's single-behind-the-headlight inlet. There doesn't look like there are any resonance chambers in the inlet elbow for restriction, yet... So - that leads me to think:

The biggest benwefit will be true CAI. It would seem that dual inlets should be enough to feed LSA, and with all the aero' treatments (downforce, brake cooling, aux' coolers, etc.), the engine air intake would be taken into consideration, too; come to think of it - that lower tray might integrate into the air system, too... Anyways - keeping the coolest air feeding LSA is going to be as important as any restrictions. As far as restrictions - I can only think of the rubber elbow collapsing, like I've read happens on some CTS-Vs. Replacing the rubber elbow with a metal one (or CF or plastc) would solve that potential problem.

Really - it seems that the biggest concerns I can think of would be a turbulent air box and a pinched elbow. If the air box is smooth (and I', assuming the dual inlets are going to be functional) and elbow won't collapse - I'm not sure how much CAI is going to help in all but the most extreme builds. Lingenfelter and Hennessey (those are the ones I've noticed anyways) have replacement elbows for 'V. Another thing for CA residents is I was just told this last smog visit that the custom metal inlet tube on my '93 truck is not technically smog legal because it can affect IATs... If that's something that could worry you - be warned...

Me - I have to see an OEM ZL1 airbox and complete air intake system to see what I'd do ; it's too early to tell.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
I tend to agree with RADZ on this. I "think" GM is tyring to make this one to the +++ side of the equation anyway. But, like RADZ.. im going to wait and see b4 I decide. Am a little more worried about the lack of a catch can. Scaarrz... any opinions on good ones, real benefits, let us know! In another thread if ya want! I've seen some out there in the general forums however.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Scarrzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I've seen some out there in the general forums however.
You're braver than I am.

Yeah, when Chuck says something, you can bet it will be pretty danged close to the bullseye. It sure looks like they did a lot of stuff very very right to begin with. I kinda doubt that there will be a whole lot to gain.

My short term goal is to get a bit over 600 without voiding the warranty, and to give myself a little edge over stock. I'm thinking this will be plenty for me until the warranty goes bye-bye.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

I would like to learn more about oil control issues requiring a catchcan. My '02 Z' had a catchcan and two oil separators because I had what seemed like some blow-by or something. They were really effective. I have my theories which I have no way to prove...

With ZL1, though, I wonder if this is something to even worry about. Ring fluter in earlier LS1s were one of the reasons I'm aware of for oil problems, and GM changed pistons (Mahle in some models if I remember correctly) to fight this and piston slap (which my car had really bad). I remember reading higher RPMs at lower throttle inputs could induce flutter, but even if that's a possibility with LSA, it seems less likely with ZL1 than a NA motor. I know the motor isn't always under boost (because of the by-pass valve) but I just think the oil issues would be more controlled by now - I have no way to know that, though...

The catchcan is something I'll be getting, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
You're braver than I am.

Yeah, when Chuck says something, you can bet it will be pretty danged close to the bullseye. It sure looks like they did a lot of stuff very very right to begin with. I kinda doubt that there will be a whole lot to gain.

My short term goal is to get a bit over 600 without voiding the warranty, and to give myself a little edge over stock. I'm thinking this will be plenty for me until the warranty goes bye-bye.
I try like everyone else

Get one anyways It won't hurt and they're not expensive. I'd forgotten about these lately, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Scarrzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I try like everyone else

Get one anyways It won't hurt and they're not expensive. I'd forgotten about these lately, lol.
Mornin' radz.

Yeah, I'm probably going to let Katech borrow my new baby to do the fitment for their CF CAI. Free is better than inexpensive.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Mornin' radz.

Yeah, I'm probably going to let Katech borrow my new baby to do the fitment for their CF CAI. Free is better than inexpensive.
H3LL YEAH!!! You can't go wrong with them

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
When you get the CAI mod, do you get a new Mass air flow sensor hookup etc? I need to read up on the CAI......... I'd like to get one with the stainless/chrome air pipe... and a nice box........ but not sure about all those MAF sensor things... But I imagine Chev is publishing 580 hp and its probably a pinch higher. so the CAI should get you to an honest 600...
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
When you get the CAI mod, do you get a new Mass air flow sensor hookup etc? I need to read up on the CAI......... I'd like to get one with the stainless/chrome air pipe... and a nice box........ but not sure about all those MAF sensor things... But I imagine Chev is publishing 580 hp and its probably a pinch higher. so the CAI should get you to an honest 600...
If the diameter of the piping where the MAF-S is located doesn't change, you shouldn't have to make any changes with the tune or the sensor itself.

As for the gains from a cold air intake, I doubt they would be great. GM increased the power of the LSA for the ZL1 and the intake is an easy way to make small increases in power output. It's just a guess, but my guess is your money would be better spent on exhaust and/or a smaller pulley and tune. Intakes on most recent forced induction cars aren't really as potent as most other modifications. On the other hand, you will typically change the sound from the engine bay with an intake which can be fun. The blower whine may get a bit louder with an aftermarket intake/airbox/lid
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
If the diameter of the piping where the MAF-S is located doesn't change, you shouldn't have to make any changes with the tune or the sensor itself.

As for the gains from a cold air intake, I doubt they would be great. GM increased the power of the LSA for the ZL1 and the intake is an easy way to make small increases in power output. It's just a guess, but my guess is your money would be better spent on exhaust and/or a smaller pulley and tune. Intakes on most recent forced induction cars aren't really as potent as most other modifications. On the other hand, you will typically change the sound from the engine bay with an intake which can be fun. The blower whine may get a bit louder with an aftermarket intake/airbox/lid
Mmm... pulleys and CAI = more whine

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
Scarrzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Mmm... pulleys and CAI = more whine

Sounds great !

(see what I did there?)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Sounds great !

(see what I did there?)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"