Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
StealingCactus

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Help me solve this issue

Hi everyone, this is what is going on with my car

2014 2ss rs 1le
arh longtubes
no cats
corsa sports
k&n cai
tuned
it does have 2 12" subs (previous owner) (i think this might play into my issue)

Here is what is going on, i get codes for

P0351
P0355
P0357

ive swapped the coils to see if the codes will follow, they do not
ive put all new plugs, wires, wire heat shields, etc
ive checked the grounds, they are all tight,

the car will sometimes start up and it will pop/back fire very loudly, other times it starts up just normally. Sometimes I will just be accelerating and it will shutter and shake roughly. Sometimes i will just keep going and the problem will disappear, im pretty sure that this is an electrical issue because it does not happen all of the time, whereas a mechanical one would be more prevalent. does anyone on here have any suggestions?
StealingCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:39 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Tuned by whom?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
StealingCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Tuned by whom?

It’s happened before and after the tune, more specifically it started happening after I went from high flow cats -> no cats and stock npp setup -> corsa everything (after the cats)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Looks like the drivers side coils #1, #5 and #7 are not firing properly.

Maybe a pinched wiring harness or PCM fault.

Open the harness on the drivers side from each coil and trace it back to the computer as far as possible looking for break in the harness or pinch. Check connectors at PCM for pin drag or corrosion.

If harness check is good, I would suspect a PCM issue.

Circuit/System Description
The ignition system on this engine uses an individual coil for each cylinder. The engine control module (ECM) controls the spark event for each cylinder through the 8  individual ignition control circuits. When the ECM commands the ignition control circuit ON, electrical current will flow through the primary winding of the ignition coil, creating a magnetic field. When a spark event is requested, the ECM will command the ignition control circuit OFF, interrupting current flow through the primary winding. The magnetic field created by the primary winding will collapse across the secondary coil windings, producing a high voltage across the spark plug electrodes. The ECM uses information from the crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor for sequencing and timing of the spark events. The ECM monitors each ignition control circuit for improper voltage levels.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The engine is running.
Ignition voltage is greater than 5  V.
The DTCs run continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The engine control module detects that the voltage command state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs  P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, P0356, P0357, and P0358 are Type  B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTCs  P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, P0356, P0357, and P0358 are Type  B DTCs.

Engine Running.
Verify the scan tool parameters listed below do not display Malfunction:
Ignition Coil 1–8 Control Circuit High Voltage Test Status
Ignition Coil 1–8 Control Circuit Low Voltage Test Status
Ignition Coil 1–8 Control Circuit Open Test Status
If Malfunction is displayed
Refer to Circuit/System Testing.

If Malfunction is not displayed
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Verify the DTC does not set.
If the DTC sets

If the DTC does not set
All OK.
Circuit/System Testing
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate T8  Ignition Coil.
Engine Running.
Verify the appropriate scan tool Ignition Coil Control Circuit Low Voltage Test Status does not display Malfunction.
3.1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X2  harness connector at the K20  Engine Control Module.
3.2. Test for infinite resistance between the control circuit and ground.
If less than infinite resistance, repair the short to ground on the control circuit.
If infinite resistance, replace the K20  Engine Control Module.
Verify the appropriate scan tool Ignition Coil Control Circuit High Voltage Test Status does not display Malfunction.
4.1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X2  harness connector at the K20  Engine Control Module.
4.2. Test for less than 1  V between the control circuit and ground.
If 1  V or greater, repair the short to voltage in the circuit.
If less than 1  V, replace the K20  Engine Control Module.
Ignition OFF, install a 3  A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal  C and ground, engine Running.
Verify the appropriate scan tool Ignition Coil Control Circuit Low Voltage Test Status displays Malfunction.
6.1. Ignition OFF, remove the fused jumper, and disconnect the X2  harness connector at the K20  Engine Control Module.
6.2. Test for less than 2  Ω in the control circuit end to end.
If 2  Ω or greater, repair the open/high resistance in the circuit.
If less than 2  Ω, replace the K20  Engine Control Module.
Test or replace the T8  Ignition Coil.
Component Test
Note: You must perform the Circuit/System Testing before proceeding with Component Testing.

Ignition OFF, connect the EL 26792HEI Spark Tester to the appropriate T8  Ignition Coil.
Engine Running.
Verify the spark output of the T8  Ignition Coil.
If no output or the output is weak
Replace the T8  Ignition Coil.

If the output is normal
All OK.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
StealingCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
Looks like the drivers side coils #1, #5 and #7 are not firing properly.

Maybe a pinched wiring harness or PCM fault.

Open the harness on the drivers side from each coil and trace it back to the computer as far as possible looking for break in the harness or pinch. Check connectors at PCM for pin drag or corrosion.

If harness check is good, I would suspect a PCM issue.

Circuit/System Description
The ignition system on this engine uses an individual coil for each cylinder. The engine control module (ECM) controls the spark event for each cylinder through the 8  individual ignition control circuits. When the ECM commands the ignition control circuit ON, electrical current will flow through the primary winding of the ignition coil, creating a magnetic field. When a spark event is requested, the ECM will command the ignition control circuit OFF, interrupting current flow through the primary winding. The magnetic field created by the primary winding will collapse across the secondary coil windings, producing a high voltage across the spark plug electrodes. The ECM uses information from the crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor for sequencing and timing of the spark events. The ECM monitors each ignition control circuit for improper voltage levels.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The engine is running.
Ignition voltage is greater than 5  V.
The DTCs run continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The engine control module detects that the voltage command state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

Engine Running.
Verify the scan tool parameters listed below do not display Malfunction:
Ignition Coil 1–8 Control Circuit High Voltage Test Status
Ignition Coil 1–8 Control Circuit Low Voltage Test Status
Ignition Coil 1–8 Control Circuit Open Test Status

Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Verify the DTC does not set.
If the DTC sets

If the DTC does not set
All OK.
Circuit/System Testing
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate T8  Ignition Coil.
Engine Running.
Verify the appropriate scan tool Ignition Coil Control Circuit Low Voltage Test Status does not display Malfunction.
3.1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X2  harness connector at the K20  Engine Control Module.
3.2. Test for infinite resistance between the control circuit and ground.
If less than infinite resistance, repair the short to ground on the control circuit.
If infinite resistance, replace the K20  Engine Control Module.
Verify the appropriate scan tool Ignition Coil Control Circuit High Voltage Test Status does not display Malfunction.
4.1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X2  harness connector at the K20  Engine Control Module.
4.2. Test for less than 1  V between the control circuit and ground.
If 1  V or greater, repair the short to voltage in the circuit.
If less than 1  V, replace the K20  Engine Control Module.
Ignition OFF, install a 3  A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal  C and ground, engine Running.
Verify the appropriate scan tool Ignition Coil Control Circuit Low Voltage Test Status displays Malfunction.
6.1. Ignition OFF, remove the fused jumper, and disconnect the X2  harness connector at the K20  Engine Control Module.
6.2. Test for less than 2  Ω in the control circuit end to end.
If 2  Ω or greater, repair the open/high resistance in the circuit.
If less than 2  Ω, replace the K20  Engine Control Module.
Test or replace the T8  Ignition Coil.
Component Test
Note: You must perform the Circuit/System Testing before proceeding with Component Testing.

Ignition OFF, connect the EL 26792HEI Spark Tester to the appropriate T8  Ignition Coil.
Engine Running.
Verify the spark output of the T8  Ignition Coil.
If no output or the output is weak
Replace the T8  Ignition Coil.

If the output is normal
All OK.

You’re a beast. Thank you very much

Old 02-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Let us know what you find!!

canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
StealingCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
Let us know what you find!!

Harness check went good. I think I have a pcm issue

Old 03-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #8
StealingCactus

Dealership now says I have a bad ecm on a 50k mile car. What are everyone’s thoughts?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
StealingCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingCactus View Post
Dealership now says I have a bad ecm on a 50k mile car. What are everyone’s thoughts?
Okay so I just picked the car up today from the dealership, after paying a nice amount for having an ecm replaced.

They wiped my ecm and my tune, so I have to get it retune. car has LTH no cats and a CAI.

I figured the check engine light was on because of no cats. I went to the auto parts store down the street and I pulled the same Engine Coil Codes. Dealer said they fixed it. Its not fixed. Im extremely frustrated at this point
Old 03-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
StealingCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingCactus View Post
Okay so I just picked the car up today from the dealership, after paying a nice amount for having an ecm replaced.

They wiped my ecm and my tune, so I have to get it retune. car has LTH no cats and a CAI.

I figured the check engine light was on because of no cats. I went to the auto parts store down the street and I pulled the same Engine Coil Codes. Dealer said they fixed it. Its not fixed. Im extremely frustrated at this point
Old 09-04-2023, 03:33 AM   #11
DarthVader_SS

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Old thread but what ended up being your issue, I’m having the same problem.
DarthVader_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
If it was mine and you covered the normal things I'd be check cold and hot compression for cracked broken rings-ring lands and looking at the wave forms concerning the crank sensor. Another thing to consider is can you feel it missing or are you just getting the codes.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 08:09 PM   #13
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_SS View Post
Old thread but what ended up being your issue, I’m having the same problem.
Last activity was over 3 years ago, might not hear anything.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #14
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I had a issue where I, a seasoned wrench, could not fix. Whipple Blown with a cam. Ran rough and very difficult to start. After blowing $$$ on parts like a new TB, Pedal, cleaning grounds, etc, got serious and engaged Pro Tuner Mr Ted Jannety. His approach is meticulious, analytical, knows what parts to update/change, and his tunes are based on proven applications and DL analysis. You will follow a strict regemine. Prepare for data logging and interaction until problem solved. My car is not only fixed, but is a amazing transformation, and worth every $$ spent on his tune and analysis.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote