Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #43
Mike YBTG

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Thanks for the taking your time to make the video in order to provide us with some insight.
You're very welcome.
Mike YBTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #44
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Thats what I call janky and lazy..

They really just took the key out and called it a day.. SMH never knew GM was lazy like this

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #45
Mike YBTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I appreciate the videos, Mike, but what a crock of crap. Both you and the young lady had to contort your leg/knee to change the key position. It is still my belief that it is the poundage of crap people attach to their car keys that causes the problem - NOT the switchblade FOB. If they had FOBs that have no way to attach crap to it - problem solved.
You're welcome. I think it's going to push the industry to transponder/prox keys and push to start.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #46
Mike YBTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
Thats what I call janky and lazy..

They really just took the key out and called it a day.. SMH never knew GM was lazy like this
I don't know if I'd call recalling nearly half a million vehicles because four people manged to knee the car off "lazy", I think its hyper-vigilance. Keep in mind my opinions are my own and not that of GM, Chevrolet or Bob Stall Chevrolet - but I think GM is in the middle of setting a golden standard for manufacture responsibility and attention to safety.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #47
pcrdude

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 M6
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-hard...n-i-1590538077

Quote:

"Alright, onto those caveats I mentioned. At least based on where I have my steering wheel situated, I don't think this problem is easy to replicate in normal driving. I was sitting a little lower than normal when the car was parked, and I was also deliberately trying to hit the key fob with my knee — how often is that going to happen to you when you're on the road? Probably not often, if ever.
I also had to hit it pretty hard. A few lighter attempts at first didn't do anything, so I don't think it's going to get knocked loose if you just tap it. Also, I've driven several cars where the fob is long like this and sticks out; it may not be a GM-specific issue.
In normal driving, my knee was about four or five inches from the fob itself, so I feel like you're unlikely to hit it if you run over a bump or something like that. I kept asking myself, would this have happened if I didn't know about the issue and wasn't trying to do it on purpose? I don't believe so. But in the event of a bad crash, maybe your leg could fly up and hit it."

There is a video on that page as well......
Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #48
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike YBTG View Post
I don't know if I'd call recalling nearly half a million vehicles because four people manged to knee the car off "lazy", I think its hyper-vigilance. Keep in mind my opinions are my own and not that of GM, Chevrolet or Bob Stall Chevrolet - but I think GM is in the middle of setting a golden standard for manufacture responsibility and attention to safety.
I think if GM's target goal in this case was safety first and profit second, there would be an ignition cylinder in the making that required pushing in or some similar design that would prevent an inadvertent bump of the key to rotate the switch as part of this recall and not just a removal of the key from the fob. Instead a few obscure cases coupled with attorneys and politicians seem to be driving this issue and a quick, easy, and cheap fix was the answer. At least so far.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
lol, fob looks like they just cut the key off. that's horrible.
That's exactly what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
This is so stupid. Wouldn't the dangling fob be closer to your knee?
Exactly.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #50
SkipHit

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Has anyone else noticed that it is not the Fob that is faulty but the position the key is in after you have started the car? The removal of the key from the Fob does not change this fact. It is still possible to hit the key especially with the new dangled key Fob with your knee if to close. Check for yourself
SkipHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #51
Ryan1975
Pretty Fly

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Just took delivery a few minutes ago and I was able to sign a waiver to retain the fob
Ryan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #52
Mersades
Web Geek Chick & NHRA fan

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike YBTG View Post
I know a few people who drive with their knees on the dash. It's very unsafe and weird, but some people like their cucumbers pickled.

In my video where Laura and I demonstrate killing the ignition with a knee it's clear that both of us have to put significant effort into switching it. It's not something that'll likely happen as an accident.
Thank you for taking the time to make and post these videos! I'm shorter than Laura... When I first heard of the recall, I sat in my car and tried to hit the fob with my knee. It was impossible with my seat in driving position... I actually had to scoot my butt to make my knee reach. I guess this is one time it's good to be a shortie!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #53
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersades View Post
Thank you for taking the time to make and post these videos! I'm shorter than Laura... When I first heard of the recall, I sat in my car and tried to hit the fob with my knee. It was impossible with my seat in driving position... I actually had to scoot my butt to make my knee reach. I guess this is one time it's good to be a shortie!
I'm 6'2" and my knee comes no where near the fob while driving.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #54
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
I heard on the Z-28 podcast that Gm does not make you get the new keys If you get your car seviced at a GM dealer you will have sign a form stating you do not want the new keys and understand the risk involved , then drive away with your switchblade . So worry not everyone
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #55
Notorious Bob

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
Just say no!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #56
mcbeth15

Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Just a knee jerk reaction I guess.

Tags
key, recall