Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Manual shift - 1-4 ?

What exactly is 1 - 4 shift ? According to the Quick Refernce Manual on this site, it is for MPG and when the shift light comes on, shift only from 1st to 4th or damage the tranny ? Have I read this right ?
What is the shift sequence looking at and why could'nt I go from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th ?
Anyone shed some light on this and what is trying to achieve ?
Thanks
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
What exactly is 1 - 4 shift ? According to the Quick Refernce Manual on this site, it is for MPG and when the shift light comes on, shift only from 1st to 4th or damage the tranny ? Have I read this right ?
What is the shift sequence looking at and why could'nt I go from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th ?
Anyone shed some light on this and what is trying to achieve ?
Thanks
Probably won't apply to the LLT cars. the 1-4 is a skip-shift mechanism that forces, at low speeds, a 1 to 4 shift in order to save fuel. Concept has been around for quite some time.

No one has received a 6spd manual V6 yet.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
V6 cars DO NOT HAVE skip-shift, only the V8's ... per many previous posts on this subject.

As far as what is "SKIP-SHIFT", it is an electrically operated "mechanical gate" that forces you to shift from 1st to 4th under light accelleration ... basically blocks 2nd gear.

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's a very dumb idea, I don't think GM's fault.

Did anyone bother to look at damage it does by forcing a super high load on the engine components?

That's why gears exist lower to higher so that the load on the flywheel from is lighter and it can rev up. This is like more stress on the crankshaft and bearings.

It's just wrong.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
so when would you use this? just when daily driving? it blocks you from running through the gears?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Some ****hole that drives a black prius and is a politician not a scientist came up with the idea. It's those *****ing hypermilers and the like.

They don't care if you have to rebuilt the bottom earlier. As long as your not killing the polar bears they are just content as can be getting into your car and keeping you from shifting gears on YOUR OWN *****ING transmission hehe.

Can you tell it get's under my skin a tad??
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

So let's clear up a few things:

CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Shift - what it used to be known as) has been present for almost 2 decades now. I had it on my f-bodies, I had it on my viper. It's not a new concept.

It *ONLY* is in effect at low speeds and part throttle conditions. It does NOT prevent you from shifting into gear under load, and thus there is *NO* stressful impact. It does however, drop the rev's between shifts (obviously). Now, if you're doing slow starts and crusing, this isn't a problem.

You may ask who invented it? Engineers who wanted to reach a specified MPG number using as many tricks as they can. It also reduces the stress on the 2nd gear syncro -- one of the most stressed out and abused pieces in a manual gearbox.

If anyone is seriously stressed about having this feature on their manual (to which V6 guys do not need worry), then there are ways to bypass it. Short of that... quit whining about it

Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
So let's clear up a few things:

CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Shift - what it used to be known as) has been present for almost 2 decades now. I had it on my f-bodies, I had it on my viper. It's not a new concept.

It *ONLY* is in effect at low speeds and part throttle conditions. It does NOT prevent you from shifting into gear under load, and thus there is *NO* stressful impact. It does however, drop the rev's between shifts (obviously). Now, if you're doing slow starts and crusing, this isn't a problem.

You may ask who invented it? Engineers who wanted to reach a specified MPG number using as many tricks as they can. It also reduces the stress on the 2nd gear syncro -- one of the most stressed out and abused pieces in a manual gearbox.

If anyone is seriously stressed about having this feature on their manual (to which V6 guys do not need worry), then there are ways to bypass it. Short of that... quit whining about it

Hope that helps.

i don't think many people have been driving manuals very long or just have no clue about cars and how they work or working on them

seriously have nobody skipped gears to save gas, you do not need all the gears all the time, as long as you aren't stalling the engine or riding the clutch your fine

and skipping gears does absolutely zero damage, it actually helps by causing less wear
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Thanks alot guys, my mistake not reading better. I did'nt note it is V8 only. I'm getting a V6.
Not sure I like the idea of the 1 - 4 though. You'd think going from 1 to 4, especially under low loaded condtions as they imply - for better MPG - would tend to create ore bogged down conditions, less torque and carbon up injectors and spark plugs. No thanks, but I suppose the V8 will burn it off better than the 6 and avoid this.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

^ There is no difference from a buildup perspective (or displacement perspective). Really, folks are blowing this far out of proportion
Old 11-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
MMX_SS

Drives: 2010 1SS All Black
One to Four shifts

I have a 1SS with the six speed manual. The one to four "computer aided" shift is a pain. A couple of times per day this "feature" kicks in when I am least expecting it. Usually when some idiot with a 4x4 is tailgating me.

This is my sixth Camaro. And it is the best car I have ever owned.
But playing guessing games with a computer when I am in heavy traffic takes a lot away from the experience. Trying to out-guess the other drivers on the road is enough of a challenge.
MMX_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX_SS View Post
I have a 1SS with the six speed manual. The one to four "computer aided" shift is a pain. A couple of times per day this "feature" kicks in when I am least expecting it. Usually when some idiot with a 4x4 is tailgating me.

This is my sixth Camaro. And it is the best car I have ever owned.
But playing guessing games with a computer when I am in heavy traffic takes a lot away from the experience. Trying to out-guess the other drivers on the road is enough of a challenge.

There is a cheap fix available for only a few bucks. Do a seach on this site as it has been discussed before. It's a resister type of gizmo that attaches to the transmission tunnel under the car. Fools the computor and doesn't throw codes. Just make sure you attach it to the correct spot and not the reverse-lockout connector.
Had it on my 4th gen and is a royal pain in the butt, as you found out, it seems to happen mostly when you are not expecting it. Then you end up with the gear lever floating around in neutral trying to find fourth.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
btf331

Drives: new:2014 BLK 2SS/RS, NPP, Short Thr
Send a message via AIM to btf331 Send a message via Skype™ to btf331
my 1995 corvette has it
ps. its for sale
btf331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
the cheap fix is slp skip shift eliminator you can get it from jegs, summit or off of slp's site. i just ordered one for mine tonight from jegs.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote