Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #71
Beck

Drives: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Does increased downforce, which helps decrease drag, improve fuel economy?
Increased downforce will improve traction, but reduce fuel economy. Reduced drag will improve fuel economy, but it may not be enough to compensate for the increased downforce.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #72
'StangBlaster5000

Drives: Waiting for the 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I don't understand how that makes a difference. They're always trying to make tomorrow better than today. ATS is Alpha based and next generation, while the 2012 ZL1 will be Zeta based. There could very well be both a -V and ZL1 on the Alpha platform as well, but I still see the -V as the ZL1 of the Caddy.
I really don't think the platform matters as much as the market they are aiming for.
All I know, is what I have heard straight from the horses mouth. And after watching a few of the ATS videos, I think the ZL1 is in for some STIFF competition from Cadillac from the CTS-V AND the ATS.
'StangBlaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #73
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'StangBlaster5000 View Post
I really don't think the platform matters as much as the market they are aiming for.
All I know, is what I have heard straight from the horses mouth. And after watching a few of the ATS videos, I think the ZL1 is in for some STIFF competition from Cadillac from the CTS-V AND the ATS.
I can't argue with information I've not heard myself.. So, I have no comment there..

On the CTS-V and ATS being competition for the ZL1 -- I don't see it as too big of an issue.. They're different cars for different reasons.. All very nice, but still have different markets themselves. Though, I am glad that CTS/ATS are taking up the 4 Door segment.. I can only imagine the erruption of threads here if GM announced a Camaro Sedan..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #74
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Yeah, he is a GM engineer. I knew his name but forgot it. Its on here somewhere though
Aaron Link
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #75
'StangBlaster5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I can't argue with information I've not heard myself.. So, I have no comment there..

On the CTS-V and ATS being competition for the ZL1 -- I don't see it as too big of an issue.. They're different cars for different reasons.. All very nice, but still have different markets themselves. Though, I am glad that CTS/ATS are taking up the 4 Door segment.. I can only imagine the erruption of threads here if GM announced a Camaro Sedan..
The CTS-V also comes in a two door.
As I understand it, the ATS will be under the CTS but is based on performance, with a Turbo 2.0L a V6 and a V8.
And last I heard the 2.0L ran a Nurburgring time of 8:28. The V8's time has not been released yet.
I think the real importance of what is going on at Cadillac, is that the people who were expecting the ZL1's price to be high, will be wrong.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #76
'StangBlaster5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
Aaron Link
Lots of people were saying it was Mark Reuss himself, but I think it actually was Kevin Zelenka who can be seen @0:37 in the video.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #77
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
Aaron Link

"General Motors Engineer Aaron Link was the driver; he made 40 laps in three days."
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #78
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'StangBlaster5000 View Post
Lots of people were saying it was Mark Reuss himself, but I think it actually was Kevin Zelenka who can be seen @0:37 in the video.
The Camaro ZL1 used for the lap was a production-intent model, with no performance modifications, driven by Camaro Performance Engineer Aaron Link. The Camaro ZL1 recorded its time of 7:41.27 from a flying start.

From: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...ct/1006_camaro

Mark made some laps, I'd be interested in knowing what his best time was.. I think it's great that he is so involved with the car.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #79
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabul SS View Post
I was watching the video and noticed this can, does anyone have any idea as to what it is (catch can, test equipment?).

Attachment 304449
I noticed that too! Looks a lot like a catch can, but with all that test equipment it is probably a housing for data collection hardware.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #80
'StangBlaster5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

"General Motors Engineer Aaron Link was the driver; he made 40 laps in three days."
Your right! I remember reading the part about running laps over 3 days, but couldn't remember the name. I really did think it was the other guy, maybe they all switch around?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #81
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
GREAT INFORMATION!!! Im' trying to figure out how to incorperate it into the FAQ

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #82
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
GREAT INFORMATION!!! Im' trying to figure out how to incorperate it into the FAQ
Under Drivetrain & Performance make another red bold section labeled "Aerodynamics" or just add a media reference link labeled aerodynamics and downforce?

Just thinking in print. Great info.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #83
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Aha.....
Now it makes sense.
Thanks.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #84
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Does anybody know the Cd of the Camaro?

Tags
2012 camaro zl1, 2012 zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, 2013 zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 video, camaro zl1 videos, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 video, zl1 videos