Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Does my top need work?

I have been reading about all the convertible top issues and problems. I know there are at least two distinct versions of the convertible top, and I suspect there are more variations because of small changes for continuous improvement. There are threads that talk about "fixes" for the older tops. From what I have read these fixes just seem to be making small adjustments or putting pieces of teflon tape in certain places. Is there more to it than that?

My car is a 2012 that was built in January 2012. I have the water management bag with just the two drains in the front. I took the customer service folks that cruise this site up on their offer to tell me if any TSBs applied to my car. I gave them my VIN but all they would tell me is that there are no recalls for my car.

I have had two leaks so far, both fixed by the dealer quickly. The first was the drain hose that was not pulled all the way through the sheet metal, and the second was missing body sealer in the trunk. I have not had any water leaks since. Also, I see what looks like normal rub marks on my top from putting it up and down. I put my top up and down a lot and I don't have any holes or rub marks that looks like the material is wearing away.

My question is should I pursue a new top or any TSB fixes since I don't seem to have any problems? Putting on a new top is major surgery and since I'm not having issues it could do more harm than good. Are there 2011 or 2012 owners out there who have their original tops and no problems?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
If it's working ok, I'd leave it alone...I had 2 pieces of material & 1 complete frame replacement. I finally found a dealer that had a body shop that KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING when they fixed it. 5 months & no more problems.

Finding a dealer that actually knows how to repair or perform TSB work on the tops CORRECTLY is the challenge...
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
If you have no existing problems or your top has no extensive wear on it like holes or fraying they won't replace anything.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
I'm not sure where Lake Orion is, but Rodgers Chevrolet is just south of Detroit.

While I have not had a top replaced by them, I hear wonderful things about their dealership. Becky is a regular on here and could probably tell you whether they are good with top swaps or not.

angrybird 12 is correct. Unless you have fraying or holes they will not replace the top as their is no formal recall (yet).

My '12 has had the top replacement. The top fabric was fraying as I cycle the top several times a day. The old top was rubbing against the frame on each cycle and then wind (top down) further rubs the fabric against the frame. If you put your top down and the fabric comes in contact with the frame it will eventually fray in that position. Others have had issues with rub marks over the doors which eventually fray and turn into holes.

So I'd suggest you drive the car a lot and cycle the top a lot. If you have a garage queen the top issues may not surface until you are out of warranty.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I'm not sure where Lake Orion is, but Rodgers Chevrolet is just south of Detroit.

While I have not had a top replaced by them, I hear wonderful things about their dealership. Becky is a regular on here and could probably tell you whether they are good with top swaps or not.

angrybird 12 is correct. Unless you have fraying or holes they will not replace the top as their is no formal recall (yet).

My '12 has had the top replacement. The top fabric was fraying as I cycle the top several times a day. The old top was rubbing against the frame on each cycle and then wind (top down) further rubs the fabric against the frame. If you put your top down and the fabric comes in contact with the frame it will eventually fray in that position. Others have had issues with rub marks over the doors which eventually fray and turn into holes.

So I'd suggest you drive the car a lot and cycle the top a lot. If you have a garage queen the top issues may not surface until you are out of warranty.
I'll keep Rogers Chevrolet in mind if I do have major work done. It would be too far for routine things, but I think it would be well worth the drive if I had a top replacement. I haven't had much luck with the local Chevy dealers. For my top leak I had to do the research and show them how to fix it.

What specifically do you mean when you talk about the fabric rubbing against the frame? Are you talking about the folding top frame, or the sheet metal in the convertible well that the top drops into?

I don't cycle my top a ton, but it is a daily driver and I use the top whenever the weather is nice. I bought the car on New Year's Eve, so there has been only 3 or 4 months of convertible weather in Michigan since then.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post

What specifically do you mean when you talk about the fabric rubbing against the frame? Are you talking about the folding top frame, or the sheet metal in the convertible well that the top drops into?
See how the fabric is not touching the rear frame with the top down? If it touches, you will have problems over time.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
JR 1

Quote:
See how the fabric is not touching the rear frame with the top down? If it touches, you will have problems over time.
I don't think the gap is that big on mine, but there is a space. Depending on how the fabric is positioned it may or may not touch the frame. Wouldn't using the tonneau cover prevent any rubbing? I always use the tonneau if I am going on the highway or for a long drive.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I don't think the gap is that big on mine, but there is a space. Depending on how the fabric is positioned it may or may not touch the frame. Wouldn't using the tonneau cover prevent any rubbing? I always use the tonneau if I am going on the highway or for a long drive.
Yes the tonneau will help if you put it on each and every time you have the top down. When you do put it on make sure to put a towel between the tonneau and the top fabric. The tonneau covers have been known to cause fraying as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
great info guys. i tested a new 2013 2LT vert last nite here in kansas city. has 58 miles. i notiecd road noise on hwy more than coupe. this car built sept. 2012 is year old. is that helpful it sat in elements all winter and summer, a good test? or make things worse that it has. it is all black. cycled top down, no scuff marks and i checked how it sat after folded. salesman along rreally appreciated how i check trunk cargo net and stuff while putting it down and up, my knowledge of it. anyway, its way below invoice and a nice car i am considering.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
great info guys. i tested a new 2013 2LT vert last nite here in kansas city. has 58 miles. i notiecd road noise on hwy more than coupe. this car built sept. 2012 is year old. is that helpful it sat in elements all winter and summer, a good test? or make things worse that it has. .
There will always be more road noise on a convertible because a fabric top will never block sound like a steel roof, headliner, and headliners acoustic pads.

I would say sitting out in the elements that long should at least tell you if there is a leak or not. Pull out the rear floor mats and get a good look at the carpet in the foot wells. See if there is any staining or odor. If there is a leak, 90% of the time this is where the water will be. Also, pull everything out of the trunk and check there for water or staining. It is uncommon for them to leak in the trunk, but mine did.

As far as other top issues, you just have to cycle the top to see if there are rub marks. There are a couple of easy things to look for though. When the top is down it should sit down inside the convertible well and ideally the fabric shouldn't touch the frame as intensifi mentioned. It sounds like a lot of people who had issues with rubbing had tops that sat higher in the folded position. You could put on the tonneau cover to see if it fits nicely. If the top is too high it won't fit right. Finally, make sure the seal at the base of the top under the rear window fits tightly against the body. People who have 5th bow issues usually see a gap there.

Don't get scared off by all this, just do your research and you should be fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
We have an '11 and no problems with the fabric itself. I did have the 5th bow and the right side tensioner relpaced and all is well.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
How did you get your top to be that far from the rear frame? Mine touches lightly on each side. After 2 years of mostly top down it has left 2 slightly shiny spots on the fabric, so it's not going to make holes for at least 10 or 15 years, but I'd like to make it stop at this point.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
How did you get your top to be that far from the rear frame? Mine touches lightly on each side. After 2 years of mostly top down it has left 2 slightly shiny spots on the fabric, so it's not going to make holes for at least 10 or 15 years, but I'd like to make it stop at this point.
It's all about who's installing it - if they know how to install it so that it doesn't touch the frame. My first 2 top replacements touched on both sides very lightly as soon as they were installed. Both of them began to have wear marks right where it touched, so don't say "10 to 15 years" because you don't know. My third top doesn't come close to touching anywhere, even after 5 months.

I wish I knew how to keep it tensioned so it never loosens & touches. Hopefully it never will.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
When my top was replaced, the fabric was far away from the frame when down.

I attribute that to the cords the new tops have.