Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #15
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
LOL
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks112 View Post
Allow me to shower you with more sarcasm, and my stream of consciousness. I'm sure that in the end, the truth will come out in the wash. At this point, it's water under the bridgestones as to whether or not the car is in ship-shape. Obviously the used car salesman got a little bogged down in attempting to drown out the truth. The facts are muddy at this point, but the guy probably took a bath on the purchase and may soon find himself washed up. After the storm is over, and the noise is drowned out, perhaps he'll realize he's done something a bit fishy, and scale his advertisement down to "boat anchor" for sale. From there, clear sailing!
Nice...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #17
Iroc at life

Drives: 70z, 79z, 87iroc, 06gto
I too was outbid on this car. I feel that the selling price was ok, kinda kicking myself for not bidding higher but that's how auctions go. I talked to big speed before it went up for sale and was informed that car wasn't too deep in the water because it was up on blocks. (you can see the water marks on the front bumper in the salvage pix) He also said that when they came to pick up the car he drove it out of the garage to the flat bed truck. The problem really was that it sat in his closed flooded garage in the texas heat with the windows open, so hence all the mold inside...
The real question becomes, how much did they actually clean the car? A little bleach mix would have cleaned most of the mold right out with ease but that's not all that was needed. Did they really take the carpet out? How much under the dash did they clean? Did they drop the headliner? How about the rest of the interior? Mold with creep anywhere so the entire interior (plastics and all) should have been removed. Even more important did they clean the heater and vents? Most dealerships over look parts/places like that because it's not cost effective to tear a dash apart or clean places you can't see. I'd be worried that whoever buys the car, could get sick from driving with the heat and/or ac on with the windows up. Nothing like trying to enjoy your car while breathing in a healthy dose of mold spores...
Iroc at life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
But hey, it at least they know that it has "Z/28 EMBRIODED SEATS!" and "premium audio system" and "sport exhaust".

On a serious note, I am not sure what they legally have to disclose exactly. If dealers were forced to disclose the full history of a car, would we need Car Fax? It's totally unethical. Just not sure it's illegal. Hopefully, folks will run a check on the car before purchasing. I considered buying a used Z/28, but when I ran the VIN, turned out that it had recently sold at auction and was classified as it's condition "below average". The car only 5K miles on it and paint was in good shape. Obviously something else was wrong. Did they disclose it? Hell no, but I am 1000% certain they knew about it. When buying used, buyers should always beware.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:23 PM   #19
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
A flood car is a flood car whether it was swamped or just was in a bad rain storm. There are no levels of what damage was done.

For a buyer they disclosed it as a flood car. That's all they have to do. Title brand and value are directly effected.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
Big Speed

Drives: 2015 Z28 #677 (totalled - flooded)
I'm still lurking the forum and yes it is still disheartening to go to the garage.

As far as the damage to the car goes, it was salvageable but definitely needed more than a vaccuum and wash. It only took 3 inches of water in the floorboard, but the main problem is the car sat in my garage in south Texas heat for almost a month before my insurance company came to look at it resulting in a fully molded interior. My house is surrounded by no less than 4 cow pastures so the water was fairly nasty. I actually thought they were going to fix it and return it to me. I did drive the car out of the garage but the clutch had rusted to the flywheel and the steering was really notchy like it was pulsing on and off from being fully submerged. The water did not reach the crankshaft pulley but it did fill the exhaust. By the insurance company's refusal to allow me to buy the car back, I was thinking it would receive a non-repairable title but it popped up for sale less than a month after being auctioned with a salvage flood title. I am curious what it auctioned for if someone was outbid at $24k. The asking price for that salvage should boost the value of all clean title Zs.

I do miss the car but I am glad I don't have it because of the possibility of future problems both with my health and the car.

Just as an FYI. If it had been returned to me, it would have been gutted and made into a race car as it would not be worth amything as stock.
Big Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #21
roost3r
@ElHefeZ28

Drives: 2015 White Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Speed View Post
I'm still lurking the forum and yes it is still disheartening to go to the garage.

As far as the damage to the car goes, it was salvageable but definitely needed more than a vaccuum and wash. It only took 3 inches of water in the floorboard, but the main problem is the car sat in my garage in south Texas heat for almost a month before my insurance company came to look at it resulting in a fully molded interior. My house is surrounded by no less than 4 cow pastures so the water was fairly nasty. I actually thought they were going to fix it and return it to me. I did drive the car out of the garage but the clutch had rusted to the flywheel and the steering was really notchy like it was pulsing on and off from being fully submerged. The water did not reach the crankshaft pulley but it did fill the exhaust. By the insurance company's refusal to allow me to buy the car back, I was thinking it would receive a non-repairable title but it popped up for sale less than a month after being auctioned with a salvage flood title. I am curious what it auctioned for if someone was outbid at $24k. The asking price for that salvage should boost the value of all clean title Zs.

I do miss the car but I am glad I don't have it because of the possibility of future problems both with my health and the car.

Just as an FYI. If it had been returned to me, it would have been gutted and made into a race car as it would not be worth amything as stock.
They got it for 24,500 if Im not mistaken, no more than 25. I watched it for awhile and went to 23K do do exactly what you said with it. From your post I knew you had taken care of it and that it was hard to let go of. That was part of the reason I wanted it. Ive went by there a couple of times to see if they still have it. I think they are way off the mark on price given the current market. Its good to see you on here and hope that you and your family have recovered from the devastating losses that Im sure you had.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #22
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Speed View Post

Have you replaced it with anything yet?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #23
Big Speed

Drives: 2015 Z28 #677 (totalled - flooded)
I have not replaced the Z yet. The closest I have come to buying anything is the new SS 1LE and that would need the new Katech LT427 with dry/wet sump and ZL1-1LE suspension and aero with ZO6 CCM brakes sprinkled on the side to be perfect. Though tempting, I can be into another Z for the same price as a stock SS 1LE. Until I find something else, my wife still lets me borrow her ATS.

That being said, we are still 6 months away from having the house back to where it was before the flood. We are carefully planning reconstruction because if I am spending $80k, I want no regrets when the last nail is driven. Come to think of it, I really should be hanging drywall right now.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.
Big Speed is offline   Reply With Quote