Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #71
Lord Ryan

Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
I don't want onstar. Almost didn't buy because it. If Camaro wasn't my dream car there is no way I would have.

Don't want anyone tracking, recording or selling any information about me. Even if it's not an invasion of my privacy it's a scam/ripoff. Why doesn't my mylink have navigation, probably because of onstar's monthly sub. Had to buy a garmin even though I have this bigass screen in my dashboard. I know Sync get a lot of bad review, but my wife as an Edge and I love it. I'm a hater of all things microsuck but the Sync is just easy to use(once you get used to it) and nicely organized. Also has navigation and doesn't have onstar.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
I don't want onstar. Almost didn't buy because it. If Camaro wasn't my dream car there is no way I would have.

Don't want anyone tracking, recording or selling any information about me. Even if it's not an invasion of my privacy it's a scam/ripoff. Why doesn't my mylink have navigation, probably because of onstar's monthly sub. Had to buy a garmin even though I have this bigass screen in my dashboard. I know Sync get a lot of bad review, but my wife as an Edge and I love it. I'm a hater of all things microsuck but the Sync is just easy to use(once you get used to it) and nicely organized. Also has navigation and doesn't have onstar.
Right On!
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #73
RavenZL1

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post

MyLink does have the Navigation option. I believe it was around $700.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #74
orange-infernoSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Bluetooth is part of Onstar, if you pull the onstar box you lose BT. You might be able to just disconnect the antenna, though, but if you love BT and hate Onstar, your bets bet is costar/bluestar.

I love how everybody always defends Onstar on here and think that those that have a problem with it are tin foil hat nutjobs. I don't want to hear any of you complain when your warranty is denied because Onstar noticed you accidentally overreved your engine, or you insurance goes up because you drove 1000 miles more than you said you would, or you have to pay a road tax because you drove x amount of miles on your local roads, etc.

The problem you all don't understand is that its a slippery slope, and the further the sled goes down the slope, the more momentum it builds up and the more difficult to stop. Sure, maybe right now they aren't going to give your information to the cops for an automatic speeding ticket because they know your car did 90 in a 65, however, give it a few years as they keep sharing more and more info. They'll keep sending out new privacy notices as you get used to it little by little, by the time you wake up, its too late.

Exactly, if you aren't concerned about this then you are either naive or lucky youv'e never experienced power abuses by insurance companies or police powers. There has been documented cases where I believe it was the FBI that listened to someone through the car microphones. Corporations will do everything they can to steal from your wallet, CEO's are the most unfeeling SOB's on the planet (ever been layed off?)

Like others the information I have seen out there is spotty. Some say that if you just unplug the unit, you will get codes and the fuel system will not work. I also saw a post that said if you unplug the antenna that it will still transmit to a cell tower through the bluetooth.

I'm not a tin-foil crazy, I've just worked in the computer/ electronics industry for a lot of years and have a Masters degree in Cyber-Security.

Drive free or don't drive at all!
orange-infernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #75
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
This didn't even occur to me until today. I didn't give Onstar my credit card when i bought the car, but they can still track me. Not a fan of that.

Im probably going to set aside a weekend to tear apart the dash and will put up pictures of what i do. Makes you really long for times when cars were simple. They had what you needed, horsepower and torque and an 8-track

And im not tin foil wearing guy...but, i worked in the government, and in law enforcement and while there may be laws and regulations, that doesnt mean somebody CANT use your info.

I dont trust onstar, or any corporation. So ill be yanking this out of my car. And if they give me hell for it because im still in warranty then, i guess this will be my last GM...ill be going back to my 73 Lincoln as a daily driver.
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #76
BitchenCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss2
I like to point out even if you disconnect the antenna, it can still broadcast and receive if close enough to a transmitter. What you want to do its open the OnStar box and remove the IDE connector bridge from the Antenna module to the Main motherboard. This IDE connector looks a lot like a Hard drive ribbon connector.

I will post later a picture of this when I remove this from my Camaro.

Thanks
BitchenCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #77
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I'll be keeping My Onstar thanks. I don't really care what they do. If you use a gps or smart phone your always being tracked anyway. Its just a matter of which system you want to be the most paranoid with and what color tin foil hat you need to wear.
Ford just admitted they track cars thru gps so you can't get away from it.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101323703#.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #78
JayTee2014

Drives: '95 Impala SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchenCamaro View Post
I like to point out even if you disconnect the antenna, it can still broadcast and receive if close enough to a transmitter. What you want to do its open the OnStar box and remove the IDE connector bridge from the Antenna module to the Main motherboard. This IDE connector looks a lot like a Hard drive ribbon connector.

Thanks
This is good info! Thanks and looking forward to the pics!
JayTee2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #79
Castrosua

Well, some of us dont have smart phones LOL...and I have three other cars that cant be tracked..hell two of them only have transistors in the radio, no "electronics", electrics and vacuum baby! No tin foil hat, just a steel roof over my head with a vinyl top!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #80

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchenCamaro View Post

Thanks
Did you manage to get the pictures?
I think I see a trend here....
4510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #81
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd like to completely disable OnStar as well. That ribbon cable idea sounds promising.

I don't care about them tracking me or anything. I just want to make it a little bit harder for thieves to steal the car. Thieves are now using the OnStar electronics to unlock and start Camaros and other GM vehicles remotely to steal them.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #82
Vader2011v6

Drives: 2014 custom blue ZL1
In also interested in trying to find out how to disable Onstar completely. I get parinoid about my car being stolen with the Onstar electronics.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #83
springer03

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1lt BRM
From what I have read(not sure what year they started it on) they tied the fuel injection into it, so they can cut off the car if its stolen. So you can't just remove the box.

I have found a company that makes a replacement box(you keep your bluetooth also) only downside is it costs $300. That being the reason I haven't ordered it yet. To many other mods I want first.

Not sure about posting links. The companys name is costartech if you want to check it out.

Ps. I have nothing to do with the company, just found them when I was researching how to disable Onstar myself.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #84
Castrosua

I think that once my car is paid off and warranty is all gone, Im going to rip out all the electric stuff...and I think im crazy enough to yank the engine (the LFX is a good motor, but its missing two cylinders!)

Yes, its nuts, yes, so many people talk about putting an LS3 or L99 in their 1LS's but im thinking going big block, carbureted, no computers at all!

Tags
onstar