Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
malvarez

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro Silver
Front Brakes not Fitting?

So I went to autozone to buy new brakes for my 2010 V6 RS Camaro. They sold me Duralast Gold DGC1001 ceramic brakes and when I got home and tried to put them on, the ceramic was too wide for the rotor! Does anyone know of a brand that will actually work or a part number? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
malvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Firebreed
Got Boost?

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6 SLP TVS 2300
did you push the calipar piston back into the caliper?
Future Mods: 416ci stroker.
Firebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Too wide in what regard? Too thick? Too tall?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Sounds like someone's first brake job, lol.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
malvarez

To wide as in if the pads are sitting on the rotor, they stick out. So I compared them to the factory brake pads and they were about half an inch wider. I did push it back. I have changed the brakes on a dodge challenger so not my first brake job ever, just first one on this car. Thanks again for any advice u can give me.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
PICS of the 2 together will help.

It does sound like the pistons are not pushed all the way in.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
well, considering the Duralast brake pads are the exact same part number between the v6 and the v8 models, I'd say you have the incorrect pads, sir. Lesson to be learned here: don't buy from advanced auto. Carquest is much better, if you have one near you.

2010 Camaro SS #123444 - K&N Typhoon CAI, Muffler Delete, MPD-1 Spoiler, Headlight Armor Blackouts. Mods to come: longtubes/tune/flux capacitor

Understeer
is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The pads should be the exact same size as the ones you took off, just a little thicker obviously from not being worn down.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
You got the brake pads for an SS model, which have Brembo calipers. They are not going to fit your car.

The V6 and SS brake pads look and fit completely different. The fact that you are trying to install the SS pads on your V6 scares me, seeing as there is a hugely obvious difference between the two. I mean seriously, they don't even look remotely similar. You should not be servicing brakes and jeopardizing everyone else's safety on the road because you have no clue what you are doing.

Take the pads back to Autozone and bring the car to the dealer and have them service the brakes for you.

I also checked the Autozone website, it shows the V6 and SS use the same pads, which is incorrect. This is why you got the wrong pads, their system lists it incorrectly.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
blueallie

Drives: Abm 1ss/rs 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
You got the brake pads for an SS model, which have Brembo calipers. They are not going to fit your car.

The V6 and SS brake pads look and fit completely different. The fact that you are trying to install the SS pads on your V6 scares me, seeing as there is a hugely obvious difference between the two. I mean seriously, they don't even look remotely similar. You should not be servicing brakes and jeopardizing everyone else's safety on the road because you have no clue what you are doing.

Take the pads back to Autozone and bring the car to the dealer and have them service the brakes for you.

I also checked the Autozone website, it shows the V6 and SS use the same pads, which is incorrect. This is why you got the wrong pads, their system lists it incorrectly.
You dont need to be a dick about it. The guy is on here asking for help. We all started somewhere.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueallie View Post
You dont need to be a dick about it. The guy is on here asking for help. We all started somewhere.
And brakes aren't the place to start.

If he was changing his air filter or doing a tune up it wouldn't be a big deal, but when you are putting other people's lives at risk because of your inexperience and lack of knowledge in servicing brake systems, that isn't right.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Ya...I don't want that test drive behind me.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Well A you went to autozone. They sell nothing but garbage and I have yet to find somebody that works there that has any clue at all about anything they sell unless its listed on the computer. Its like walmart for cars. And yea. Dont do any more brake jobs til you are taught. The brake pads you purchased are physically completely different than the old ones off the car. If you cant pick up on that you shouldnt be working on cars. Especially brakes.

First pic is a genric pic of what your factory brake pads look like.
2nd pic is what you bought. Clearly a difference.
Attached Images

C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
malvarez

I am aware that the brakes r completly different, which is why I am asking if anyone knows where I can get the correct ones. I bought the pads before actually taking the ones on the car off. After removing the factory brakes I realized the new ones where different so I put factory ones back on. I have done this before with no problem before but the pads r the problem. Kragen/ Oreily also tried selling me the same size pads so I left and decided to check on here if anyone knew where I would find the correct size.

Tags
brakes