Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
92 Octane is fine. These things run pig rich so most of us have just gotten used to cleaning the tips often . If you end up finding some other issue (like a vaccum leak or lose pipes), then just go back to 87 and see if it runs okay.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
First of all, 92 octane won't hurt your engine. Period.

Check all the fittings for the CAI. It sounds like you have a leak. Not sure why the octane of the gas makes a difference, but if you had enough real engine knock for you to hear, you would also have a CEL and it would probably go into reduced power mode.
THIS!

Higher octane will not hurt your car at all, so don't listen to that.

These V6s are extremely sensitive to knock, and so if what you are hearing is actually knock, then something is wrong. Its not like the old days when you could hear an engine knocking when lugging around or something like that. The sensors will pick up that knock long before you should be able to hear it.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I will add from what Gretchen mentioned earlier...are you aware of the ticking noise from the high pressure fuel pump on these engines? From what I have read, it is not quite as noticeable on the 2012+ models as the 10s, and 11s, but it is still there I'm sure of it. You can easily hear it at idle...just pop the hood and check it out sometime while the car is running. This ticking sound increases once you raise the rpms past idle, but while driving you probably wouldn't be able to hear the HPFP.

Also the timing chains. They may not be as much of an issue on youe 2012 as earlier models, but your dealer is an idiot if nobody there in the service department knows of it issues with the timing chains in the LLT and other similar V6 engines.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
Running 92 won't hurt your engine. That's what I'm using from the time I bought it. The idling issue I did have and it turned out the vacuum hose on my catch can came loose. If you have a catch can check your hoses to make sure there tight.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Cmon guys 3 bucks a fill up isnt asking much if you love your Camaro put good gas in it. And yes I drive 30k a year. (20 cents times 15 gallons) I dont run it empty in tank fuel pumps dont like fuel starvation
Old 05-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
LS1346CID
Enjoying the lil things

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Loaded - Lil Red
I would say the dropping below 500rpms and the belt squeaking sound could be symptoms of a vacuum leak...
Have you tried spraying some carb cleaner/starting fluid around your vacuum fittings while the car is idling?? It will make the engine rev a bit higher than idle if you have a leak.
The belt squealing could be the alternator trying to keep up with the load from the sub speed idle and it is causing the belt to slip.
As for the knock, if a vacuum leak is the cause then the rest of the engine control system isn't running correctly either - causing the timing to be off and making pre/post cylinder fire detonation...
Just my .02 cents

With the exception of : BrakePerformance slotted and drilled rotors, K&N filter, other misc bolt on's, Tint, Clear Bra, WhiteOut emblems, Painted Calipers
LS1346CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1346CID View Post
Have you tried spraying some carb cleaner/starting fluid around your vacuum fittings while the car is idling?? It will make the engine rev a bit higher than idle if you have a leak.
Use an unlit propane torch instead. It's a lot cleaner.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Your Camaro should not ping period, except MAYBE momentarily under high load, low rpm situations. The engine has knock sensors to prevent this. It you can hear it knocking repeatedly something is wrong. Try clearing the spider webs out of your wallet and putting in 91/92/93 octane gas first.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Wollmank

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Your Camaro should not ping period, except MAYBE momentarily under high load, low rpm situations. The engine has knock sensors to prevent this. It you can hear it knocking repeatedly something is wrong. Try clearing the spider webs out of your wallet and putting in 91/92/93 octane gas first.
Well... I guess I did clean the spider webs out my pocket and traded that thing in for new 2SS/RS.... No more engine knock.. Problem solved.. Thanks all
Wollmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wollmank View Post
Well... I guess I did clean the spider webs out my pocket and traded that thing in for new 2SS/RS.... No more engine knock.. Problem solved.. Thanks all
That's one way to deal with it!
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #25
Sanaabriamartin1991

Drives: 2011 ls3 camaro silver ice
I have engine knock on my ls3 m6 the I pop the valve cover and found metals it seem to me like roller bearings don’t know where they came from engine block is ding up to [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Sanaabriamartin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #26
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
I am not sure this is the issue but this is common on our cars. look into this^
It's not Common in the LFX engines. It was an issue with the LLT engines from what I've read.