Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #43
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Price just a set of titanium rods and valves for any V8. Then any dry sump system.

There is a reason the cheaper cars did not get these. Very little gain per dollar, but a gain none-the-less.

I get those parts are expensive but it doesn't change the fact that Ford was able to put a similarly expensive engine in the GT500 and not price it around the Z06.

The BOSS 302 got a fully forged bottom end, CNC ported heads and a deep breathing intake in a mid $40s car.

Why is Ford capable of doing that and GM isn't?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #44
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I get those parts are expensive but it doesn't change the fact that Ford was able to put a similarly expensive engine in the GT500 and not price it around the Z06.

The BOSS 302 got a fully forged bottom end, CNC ported heads and a deep breathing intake in a mid $40s car.

The Boss 302 is larger, heavier, less power, less torque, narrower powerband, than it's competition, the LS7, so that's apples to oranges.

On the GT500 powerplant, which is excellent:

How much would it have cost to remove >100lb from the GT500 engine? I think the LS9 has more area under the curve?
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #45
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The Boss 302 is larger, heavier, less power, less torque, narrower powerband, than it's competition, the LS7, so that's apples to oranges.

On the GT500 powerplant, which is excellent:

How much would it have cost to remove >100lb from the GT500 engine? I think the LS9 has more area under the curve?
How is the Roadrunner 302 to LS7 apples to oranges? They both are specialty N/A engines. The only thing the LS7 has that the BOSS doesn't is the titanium parts, which it doesn't need.

As for the Trinity vs LS9 dyno charts, I can't find any comparisons that show the two, but I find it hard to believe the LS9 would have more area under the curve. The Trinity makes more power and torque plus is running higher boost.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #46
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
The Alpha seems to be a well received platform but, with so many cars and power trains being used on the Alpha, couldn't the Camaro benefit from having its own platform that isn't so compromised? As far as I know, the Mustang rides on its own platform and is priced competitively to the Camaro. What are the benefits of the Camaro using a corporate platform? It can't be cost related because the Camaro isn't any cheaper than the Mustang.

Maybe my understanding of this is way off base but I just was thinking about it and curious to what other people think.

If your question was, would it be good for GM? Probably no, as many have mentioned it is not cost effective. Also, the next gen platform will be a nice fit, but that's it.

Now, regardless of what all of the GM groupies say, the Camaro would greatly benefit from having its own platform. Just look at the well received FR-S. Ignoring cost, there is no reason why the Camaro would not benefit.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
If your question was, would it be good for GM? Probably no, as many have mentioned it is not cost effective. Also, the next gen platform will be a nice fit, but that's it.

Now, regardless of what all of the GM groupies say, the Camaro would greatly benefit from having its own platform. Just look at the well received FR-S. Ignoring cost, there is no reason why the Camaro would not benefit.
FR-S isn't a unique platform. Ever heard of the Subaru BRZ [or Toyota (GT)86]?

Also ... look at the sales of the BRZ/FR-S/(GT)86 vs Camaro and tell me again how successful its been.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #48
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
FR-S/BRZ have been well received by enthusiasts and the automotive media. The buying public, not so much.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
FR-S/BRZ have been well received by enthusiasts and the automotive media. The buying public, not so much.
True. But its the same story with diesels & wagons* ... meanwhile, who holds more actual influence over the automakers: the ones who get a free car for a day before moving onto the next freebie (and drive a classic from the 50's or 60's to & from work) or the ones who plunk down tens of thousands of dollars for a new car and get something else several years down the road? Plus, most enthusiasts are encouraging their friends, neighbors, and co-workers to buy those cars so that in a couple of years they can get one cheap & lightly used. But they don't want to buy one new from the dealership.

Anyway, as corporations, the goal of every car company is to make money first and foremost. Everything else (including appeasing enthusiasts) is secondary -unless it makes them more money, in which case refer to rule #1.

*which reminds me ... a CTW-DV, (that is, Diesel High Performance CTS Wagon) with a manual would be practically guaranteed to be the best reviewed car in the history of automotive journalism. GM might sell 5 such vehicles, to the executive editors of MotorTrend, R&T, and 3 others ... but still, rave reviews would be guaranteed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #50
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Yes, but essentially the BRZ and the GT86 are the same car minus a few cosmetic changes. The Zeta platform has everything from coupes to wagons, so the platform is tuned to try and fit all in one, which is good since it makes money. However, for the car itself, a platform of its own would definitely give it a big change.

But yes, at the end sales are the main thing. So while the FR-S (BRZ) took advantage of having its own platform, it is not exactly a money maker for Toyota/Subaru. But you can't deny that the FR-S is a great car because of its specific platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Also ... look at the sales of the BRZ/FR-S/(GT)86 vs Camaro and tell me again how successful its been.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #51
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The argument for the Camaro having a unique chassis it that there would be less compromise....but...the G5 set the standard for its segment.

Given Chevrolets success with the ZL1 and Z/28, why would you expect less from the G6?

Bhobbs view the Camaro as the red headed stepchild rather than the sibling benefiting from the experience of its big brother

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 08-01-2014 at 07:55 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:

I just noticed that I come across as an ass in that post.

My apologies

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #53
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Do you honestly believe the GT500 was sold at a loss? How about the BOSS 302? It had a low production, specialty engine.
No...but you're getting some "insight" as to just how inexpensive a Mustang was to produce after being unchanged (relatively) from MY '05 through '12-'13-'14. 10 years of tooling amortization benefitted the MSRP of the BOSS and the 500. THAT'S how they could "afford" (no pun) to splurge on a couple of engines.

Did the Base V6 and GT prices drop? No. They subsidized a relative handful of "haloes". FACT.

Quote:

See above...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #54
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
I just noticed that I come across as an ass in that post.

My apologies
You weren't wrong. I'm disappointed that it's sales aren't good, though. That's an area that I think the automotive industry sorely needs to expand. They're cheap "performance" cars. You might even call them starter sports cars. The guys that buy those play with them, and then they move on to bigger, real performance cars, like Camaros. It's a much stronger start for a car guy to hop into a BRZ/FR-S than to get a half-broken Honda Civic and start talking about the importance of stance.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
You weren't wrong. I'm disappointed that it's sales aren't good, though
The wrong part was how I said it, not what was said.

Camaro Fest sub-forum