Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #57
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
A6 or M6?
A6
68/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #58
carguy50

Drives: 2SS/RS, Sequntials,Tune,Flomstr,CAI
we my need to add ZMAX, it worked on my 06 Vett.
carguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #59
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/2010 View Post
A6
That may be the solenoids in the tranny your hearing

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #60
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
This noise is the AFM lifters. When I installed my cam, I got rid of the AFM lifters and installed LS7 lifters, and the noise is 100% gone now.
I figured it had something to do with the AFM + lifters. Good deal!

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #61
Missile Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Jesus....really?

Ever notice how it takes dodge 2 extra cylinders to accomplish what GM does with 8? If there was a design flaw in the valve train....dont you think they would of caught on to it in 13 years?

Please explain how nothing breaking in high milage high hp motors is a problem?

Because you dont like how it sounds its a problem?
First - You've never experienced a Viper so a stock Viper vs a stock V8, please.
Second - Were not speaking in generalities. I'm speaking of my 2010 Camaro.
Third - Isn't it past your bed time.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #62
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
First - You've never experienced a Viper so a stock Viper vs a stock V8, please.
Second - Were not speaking in generalities. I'm speaking of my 2010 Camaro.
Third - Isn't it past your bed time.
Your right. I forgot they only made 1 viper through all the years and apparently you owned it. Stock Viper vs Stock Z06...please.

Its just a comparison. Ill explain. Differently built motors.......wait for it.......wait for it.........differntly built motors may have different sound characteristics.

You asked if valve train noise was normal on the l99. Everyone said yes, but you dont like it because of all the dodge viper (apparently you had the only one) produced it didnt make any noise and was quiet as a sleeping baby.)

And what if it is past my bed time?

10 out of 10 lsx motors have noisy valve trains. But its only noticable to people who are not used to aluminum block lsx motors.

Google ls1 noisy valve train.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #63
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Your right. I forgot they only made 1 viper through all the years and apparently you owned it. Stock Viper vs Stock Z06...please.

Its just a comparison. Ill explain. Differently built motors.......wait for it.......wait for it.........differntly built motors may have different sound characteristics.

You asked if valve train noise was normal on the l99. Everyone said yes, but you dont like it because of all the dodge viper (apparently you had the only one) produced it didnt make any noise and was quiet as a sleeping baby.)

10 out of 10 lsx motors have noisy valve trains. But its only noticable to people who are not used to aluminum block lsx motors.

Can't we all just get along

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #64
Missile Man

Quote:

You asked if valve train noise was normal on the L. Everyone said yes, but you don't like it because of all the dodge viper (apparently you had the only one) produced it didn't make any noise and was quiet as a sleeping baby.)

10 out of 10 lsx motors have noisy valve trains. But its only noticeable to people who are not used to aluminum block lsx motors.

Based on you're conclusion everyone who has a L99 experiences valve noise. What percentage of L99 owners have posted on this thread compared to the L99's that have been sold to date, 1% to be optimistic. Is it just a small percentage so time will tell. My 1993 Z28 had a LT1 and no valve noise. My point was not all HP engines have valve noise and is there an issue with my Camaro.

Were both entitled to our opinions and have the right to disagree. One of the benefits of living in a free society.................. USA

Mods:
* CAI Intake
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #65
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Based on you're conclusion everyone who has a L99 experiences valve noise.
Pretty much what I said. Throw in all stock valvetrain lsx motors to boot.

Quote:
What percentage of L99 owners have posted on this thread compared to the L99's that have been sold to date, 1% to be optimistic. Is it just a small percentage so time will tell.
I wouldnt even say a 1/2%. But that doesnt mean the noise isnt there. Like I said, some people will complain about it, others will never notice it. But its there. Especially those not familiar with lsx engines.

Quote:
My 1993 Z28 had a LT1 and no valve noise. My point was not all HP engines have valve noise and is there an issue with my Camaro.
Hmmm lt1....genII...lsx...gen III/IV. Not even close to the same engine. Your point was that not all HP engines have valve noise(its not valves). You then threw a viper in for an example. I then threw in the viper for an example that not all hp engines have valvetrain noise by saying "of course it doesnt sound like your l99, its not an lsx motor". So obviously its not going to sound the same. Im not trying to argue. Im just telling you that all lsx motors are noisy like that. Be it ls1/ls2/ls3/l99 ect ect. Some it will bother the shit out of, and some are used to it. Odds are your hearing the same noise that has been produced since 1997 and nothing is wrong with your motor.

Quote:
Were both entitled to our opinions and have the right to disagree. One of the benefits of living in a free society.................. USA
Your right, we are. However as having been around a few lsx motors over the last 5 years, I can tell that pretty much every one I heard all have the same valvetrain noise when stock. So enjoy it.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #66
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
My LS1 never had valve noise. Neither did the L98 I used to have. This is the first I've heard since I had a Ford.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #67
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
I drove a Dodge Viper for a while, no engine or valve noise. Because GM says it's normal does that make it OK? If it's only normal for GM, well that's a problem.
Dude, Toyota makes noisy engines, Nissan has their share, plenty of Chrysler motors are noisy too. At the price point you're at, and the power level you're at, its to be expected. It is a machine, they make noises. No one has ever had a problem related to it with the same type of motor you have. And guess what? If you are one of the tiny, tiny few people that gets a L99 with a bum lifter or a casting flaw, you have a pretty damn nice warranty to take care of it.

I mean seriously, you're complaining your 400 hp Camaro SS is too noisy?

Hell dude, my LS1 has a noisy valve train, its cammed, dual valvesprings, dynoed ~390rwhp, and I'm spinning it 700 over stock redline everytime I take it out, and havent had a single related issue. And mine is tame compared to most LS1's.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #68
Missile Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
Dude, Toyota makes noisy engines, Nissan has their share, plenty of Chrysler motors are noisy too. At the price point you're at, and the power level you're at, its to be expected. It is a machine, they make noises. No one has ever had a problem related to it with the same type of motor you have. And guess what? If you are one of the tiny, tiny few people that gets a L99 with a bum lifter or a casting flaw, you have a pretty damn nice warranty to take care of it.

I mean seriously, you're complaining your 400 hp Camaro SS is too noisy?

Hell dude, my LS1 has a noisy valve train, its cammed, dual valvesprings, dynoed ~390rwhp, and I'm spinning it 700 over stock redline everytime I take it out, and havent had a single related issue. And mine is tame compared to most LS1's.
Dude.....................

I'm not the one complaining. I stated an observation about my Camaro that I don't believe is normal for my Camaro. That's it...............

Mods:
* CAI Intake