Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Beginning my first build in the Austin area

Hey all, I think I introduced myself a looong time ago when I ordered my car, and it's been only recently that I've got the itch and I think the means to go about doing some of the stuff I want to get done. This will be my first car I've really done anything to, and living in an apartment complex will make doing pretty much anything myself too difficult.

I've got a 2010 2SS/RS IBM Camaro (pic attached), and so far I've come up with the following:

Flat black out bowtie (just the vynil insert)
Flat black bumblebee rally stripes
Resonator delete

On the resonator delete, I'm stuck on what I really want to do.
1) I have the dealer installed ground effects, which I love, so any tips I think are pretty much out... unless I'm not finding the right info.
2) I'm not really sure on what sound I want, but I know I want more of it than I have. It's hard for me to watch youtube videos and really get much out of it. I feel like it's completely different from what it'd sound like in person.
3) Any ideas? This is a very new area for me, I've read a lot on cat backs, x pipes and a whole bunch of other things I haven't quite wrapped my head around. Is there an exhaust 101 I can take a look at somewhere to get a better idea of what I'm getting myself into?

So the question now is somewhere to get that stuff done in Austin. The only thing I've done so far is window tint (holy hell was that necessary in central texas with black leather...), what are some good shops where can I get the stripes applied and the exhaust done (once I figure out the entire plan)?

Other than those three things, I'm not real sure on what to do. I haven't seen many IBM Camaro's at all, I've seen the Nightmare thread with a TON of stuff done to it, I'm not going to take it that far though I think that's enough for now, as I move on with getting some of this stuff done I'd love some suggestions!
Attached Images

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Rounki

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS IO Int.
Hey Bthomp I'm in Austin as well. I basically started off with some of those same upgrades and been slowly working up the ladder.

If you've worked with vinyl before it's pretty easy to put the vinyl on the bowtie yourself. If you haven't I could probably help you out with that. I would suggest just buying a sample square enough the cover the whole bowtie, stretching it on and razoring it out. The pre-cut ones are more difficult to work with.
Stripes are a little more difficult but still doable.

I wanted more sound as well and went with muffler deletes, resonator deletes, and x pipe. It wasn't too loud and sounded decent (lot of popping at deceleration, but i didn't mind it) got a lot of compliments. Sound is so subjective though so it's hard to explain. I got all of the muffler and pipe work done in tyler, tx but they used a lot of crush bending not mandrel bending but it was cheap, haha.

I've recently upgraded to lt headers and full catback. The sound is quieter in the cabin with less drone but louder at wide open throttle with a bit more raspy tone. There are a lot of C5 guys here in the Austin area and San Antonio area and they're all really cool and helpful and get together regularly. (Sorry I haven't been out guys, been a little busy with work). Go to one of their regular meetups and you'll get to see just about everything from stock to mild to wild.

XS Power 1 7/8 LT Headers
XS Power 3" Cat Back
Vmax TB
ADM Street Intake
H&R Springs
Forgestar F14s
Tuned by HPT
Rounki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
Go to cabelas on sat, ill be there. I have all suspension done and could take you through that depo.
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
I just realised they're is 3 of us in austin. With the same car. Where are u guys?
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
you might what to come on down to san antonio with kyle and robert.
we get together every friday.
congrat and welcome to the family.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Any and all,

The San Antonio Friday night meet this week is at Biffs if any of you are interested... It's about the closest run for us... ...

Post up if y'all are interested, op, good luck with the mods, let me know if you need any help, if I'm in town and available, I'll help where I can...

Junk, if you're gonna be at Cabelas, I may join you for a little while...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
bthomp01

I'm in South Austin in the Stassney area, and I work downtown. Still sporting my Michigan plates too, haha. Going to try to avoid that front plate as long as I can...

It'd be great to meet up and hash out some ideas! I don't know if I'll be able to make anything this week but a trip down to San Antonio every once in a while sounds like a good idea Is there an official thread for meetups or should I just keep checking the boards? EDIT: Maybe I should look at the stickies, heh.

I already bought the precut bowtie inserts, and for the stripes I really want a professional to do it... I've watched some videos and I could probably handle it, but I'm terrified of taking on such a huge cosmetic mod myself right off the bat.

And lastly... any thoughts on stripe vendor? There are a whole bunch out there, but these are the best price I've found:

http://www.rjwmotorsports.com/p/cama...blebee-stripes

Looking forward to getting this underway, thanks for the responses and can't wait to meet up soon!

Last edited by bthomp01; 04-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Hope this helps, and you are about 20 minutes from me.. I live down in Kyle...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62053

There may be a few of us meeting at Cabelas this Saturday eve... Let me know if you're interested...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Happy Pappy
Sam & Marsha

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Black
I'm up for Cabelas Saturday evening........ See yall there..... It would be nice to see some new Austin faces there..
Happy Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Austin and the whole hill country is our playground
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
bthomp01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Hope this helps, and you are about 20 minutes from me.. I live down in Kyle...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62053

There may be a few of us meeting at Cabelas this Saturday eve... Let me know if you're interested...
I'm interested, but I think my work work just got extended through the weekend... backup restoration can't restore backups, so I get to rebuild from scratch, awesome!

What time are you all meeting up? I have plans Saturday night and depending on how the rest of the day goes today I might be able to swing it.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp01 View Post
I'm interested, but I think my work work just got extended through the weekend... backup restoration can't restore backups, so I get to rebuild from scratch, awesome!

What time are you all meeting up? I have plans Saturday night and depending on how the rest of the day goes today I might be able to swing it.
I'll try to be there around 7:00 but no promises...

Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
bthomp01

Work is really doing a number on me, probably won't be able to meet up for a couple weeks... ugh. Hopefully I can at least get my bowtie blackout done this weekend.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Happy Pappy
Sam & Marsha

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Black
We should be there after 7:00.....
Happy Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote