Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords. The original clips snapped downward over the posts, and easily popped up under high speed and windy conditions. The clips are also very thin and wear out over time. There are several discussions on the risk and liability of a cover blowing off into highway traffic. I found during the redesign of my clips, that the originals were not always sewn straight on the cover so they lined up with the posts. Mine were misaligned by more than an inch. This caused the clips to pull inward from the post even sitting still. I also learned that the original clip design intent allowed the cover to "disengage" from the posts should the driver try raising the top with the cover still installed. This would avoid damage to both the top and the cover. Obviously, this was cheaper than a safety cut-off switch for an installed cover.
My concern for the '12 solution was the fact that bungee cords wear out rather quickly, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. The nice thing about Cruuzin LV's solution is they can be easily changed (not so with GM's solution).

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords. The original clips snapped downward over the posts, and easily popped up under high speed and windy conditions. The clips are also very thin and wear out over time. There are several discussions on the risk and liability of a cover blowing off into highway traffic. I found during the redesign of my clips, that the originals were not always sewn straight on the cover so they lined up with the posts. Mine were misaligned by more than an inch. This caused the clips to pull inward from the post even sitting still. I also learned that the original clip design intent allowed the cover to "disengage" from the posts should the driver try raising the top with the cover still installed. This would avoid damage to both the top and the cover. Obviously, this was cheaper than a safety cut-off switch for an installed cover.
My concern for the '12 solution was the fact that bungee cords wear out rather quickly, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. The nice thing about Cruuzin LV's solution is they can be easily changed (not so with GM's solution).

I have '12 with the GM bungie's and the added protection of two more bungies that I added using my eyelet method. So I'm using 4 bungies and it doesnt pop up in the middle or flap at all.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords.
I'm not sure if my dealer will just replace it. Since I'm not sure it will stay on, I don't use it much and it looks new.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I'm not sure if my dealer will just replace it. Since I'm not sure it will stay on, I don't use it much and it looks new.
It's hard for them to refuse since they're the one's that engineered a solution to the clip problem in the first place...

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
My dealer had a upholstery shop sew another bungee loop onto my cover - but instead of in the center, they did it on the left edge of the center flap. Once they have the shop put the bungee loop in the middle of the center flap, they are going to mount another one of the factory bolts in the center of the wall. This wway, it will look like the factory did it.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
My dealer had a upholstery shop sew another bungee loop onto my cover - but instead of in the center, they did it on the left edge of the center flap. Once they have the shop put the bungee loop in the middle of the center flap, they are going to mount another one of the factory bolts in the center of the wall. This wway, it will look like the factory did it.
Nice let us know how it works out... My only concern is the long term use of the same bungie.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
Throw it upside down on your driveway, scrape it up really good then take it in and tell them it flew off while you were driving and they will probably get you the new style...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I have yet to have a problem losing my tonneau cover. And I've had that sucker up to over 100. I have the elastic lanyard-type loops on it. Do you people that have issues have the two retainer bolts installed that go on the back of the rear seat?
I have the 12 style cover and had zero issues either...
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #23
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I have a 2011 and my vert has cheapo plastic tabs to snap on to the metal posts. I think that Cruuzin LV's method is a lot more secure then these tabs.

As soon as it is nice enough out I plan on modifying mine cover the same way. However ... Let me give some tips to anyone who might also want to try this.

First. I went to our local sporting goods store and got a Grommet kit. You will need the KIT not just the eyelets because you will need tools that come with the kit. Below is a picture of the Grommet kit I picked up the other day for $8.99.

Next, here is a really good basic and short video on HOW TO actually add a Grommet to something. You need to punch a hole, then use the tools in the grommet kit. I will be using a grommet and washer when I do mine.

How to add a grommet video:

Here is a picture of what my grommet kit looked like and the contents. 20 grommets and washers, the punch, the anvil (round thing) and the hammer tool.

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
Corsair keyboard? (way offtopic)
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRain View Post
Corsair keyboard? (way offtopic)
Yes! K90! I love the keyboard, once of the best I have ever had. On #2, they don't like swimming in Rye & Ginger! ROFL!

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #27
Ssjames

Drives: 2012 camaro ss rally Yellow vert
Hello camaro owners I have a 12 SS convert no tonneua cover I want one but with the new design, does anyone know the part number of the 2012 one.( Tia)
Ssjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #28
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Does anyone go without the cover? What are the repercussions from doing so?
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote