Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #57
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
Right on Mike! Well there you go Jess! Its a party now! Ask & you shall receive! I forgot to mention something Jess, I have a tranny at RPM right now being built to handle the 1400 rwhp my motor & turbos have been begging for, just gotta install it & push the little screen in the glove box to 30 psi & keep it straight. I think an automatic ZL1 is gonna keep the crown!
But then there's Robert... we should have a great Camaro Pit...

Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #58
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
Robert is my buddy, he's a very cool dude but drives an SS, were talking ZL1 records here. Not a thread jack, my car is an automatic & holds the title, Jess has a manual & wants it, this thread is about which transmission to go with. Automatic ZL1's hold the 1/4 mile record, 1/2 mile record & the 1 mile record, the manual boys need to get their sticks in their hands & figure out how to use them better!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #59
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Robert is my buddy, he's a very cool dude but drives an SS, were talking ZL1 records here. Not a thread jack, my car is an automatic & holds the title, Jess has a manual & wants it, this thread is about which transmission to go with. Automatic ZL1's hold the 1/4 mile record, 1/2 mile record & the 1 mile record, the manual boys need to get their sticks in their hands & figure out how to use them better!
Yeah, that's right the entire Gen 5 half mile record is belongs to Robert in a manual.... Snappy has an auto and still holds it for the full mile (but if my understanding is correct, he grenade'd 2 auto transmissions in March trying unsuccessfully to up his record). I like to keep our little ZL1 records separate though.

So, without jacking the thread, if raw speed is your objective and you have more than a 1/4 mile to play with, then transmission choice can be considered a draw....Looking forward to seeing everyone at Texas mile for a bunch of new Gen 5 and ZL1 records.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #60
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Yeah, that's right the entire Gen 5 half mile record is belongs to Robert in a manual.... Snappy has an auto and still holds it for the full mile (but if my understanding is correct, he grenade'd 2 auto transmissions in March trying unsuccessfully to up his record). I like to keep our little ZL1 records separate though.

So, without jacking the thread, if raw speed is your objective and you have more than a 1/4 mile to play with, then transmission choice can be considered a draw....Looking forward to seeing everyone at Texas mile for a bunch of new Gen 5 and ZL1 records.
I'm thinking a Manual would be better for the mile since power loss is less but then at the power levels you big dogs are talking about it's more about durability than anything else.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #61
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
If you want to drive the car and have fun, manual. If you want the car to drive you and you steer, get the auto. People are more impressed when you run the fast times at the track, not hating but everyones going to ask if its stick and if you say no then you can see the displeasure amongst the masses lol
I bought mine for me, not the masses. But I get your point. I put mine in a lot of shows and see a frown every once in a while when they peer inside. But I never frown when I drive away in it.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #62
mylftft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm thinking a Manual would be better for the mile since power loss is less but then at the power levels you big dogs are talking about it's more about durability than anything else.
Andy told me my car would be instantly good for another 10 mph if it was a manual, with my leg a manual is not an option though, I can still drive one but its not much fun & I won't be winning any races. I just like giving Jess a hard time!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #63
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Andy told me my car would be instantly good for another 10 mph if it was a manual, with my leg a manual is not an option though, I can still drive one but its not much fun & I won't be winning any races. I just like giving Jess a hard time!
You've won some races?
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #64
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Ha Ha... he deserves a hard time every now and then to keep him in line.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #65
mylftft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
You've won some races?
Thanks for noticing Dan! I meant if I raced a manual all the time it would be hard to be consistent racing it with my foot to clutch speed!