Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Any regrets with an Auto ZL1?

I am looking at a ZL1 that is an Auto. All my Z06 Vette's and Camaro's I've owned have been manuals.
So this would be a first for me.

Is there any negatives to an Auto vs Manual in a ZL1? I know the differences in LS3 & L99 cars. But are the Z's different between the two?

I seen the ZL1 Verts have speed limiters and no PTM modes. SO there not all created equal so to speak.

Thanks for the info guy's!
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
2doorrocket

Drives: Gas Guzzlers
Yes. Modding it proves difficult, it learns bad habits sometimes.
2doorrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
DrDJ

Drives: 2013 ZL1 White A6
As far as the auto goes, its really a preference above all else. The auto in the ZL1 is really a great trans, smooth clean shifts, great performance, I enjoy paddle shifters on occasion. Some will say auto is fine "if you want the car to drive you" , but really its this: Auto is nice as a daily driver, great drag performance, and just more practical for some people...Manual provides a more violent feel for the car, more focused driver control which for some means a lot. I certainly don't have anything negative toward the manual crowd as I love a manual trans in sports cars, but this time around an auto was just the best choice for me. I wanted the daily driver benefits with the auto. I could go either way myself on the trans and enjoy the benefits of either, but mine is and auto and I have no regrets.
DrDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDJ View Post
As far as the auto goes, its really a preference above all else. The auto in the ZL1 is really a great trans, smooth clean shifts, great performance, I enjoy paddle shifters on occasion. Some will say auto is fine "if you want the car to drive you" , but really its this: Auto is nice as a daily driver, great drag performance, and just more practical for some people...Manual provides a more violent feel for the car, more focused driver control which for some means a lot. I certainly don't have anything negative toward the manual crowd as I love a manual trans in sports cars, but this time around an auto was just the best choice for me. I wanted the daily driver benefits with the auto. I could go either way myself on the trans and enjoy the benefits of either, but mine is and auto and I have no regrets.

You know my opinion, but this post is a great summary of my reason for getting an auto as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
It's an interesting question and DrDJ really nailed it with his post.

The consensus from what I've read is that if it's a daily driver or in traffic a lot... You will want an auto. The auto in these cars is awfully responsive and I read very good things about it. It would be a great car to have as your first auto. You love manuals, so it's hard to get away from that. It will take adjustment to get used to... The question is: do u want to adjust?

For me, I like either. The love the feel of cruising with the auto (not in a ZL1....yet) and I am totally adjusted to an auto after having a manual BMW for several years. I do miss it sometimes, but now if I went to a manual, I'd miss my auto.... Lol

Honestly, you need to try out a ZL1 auto for a day or two and put it through its paces. Then you will know.

Here's a good thread with some honest opinions on the subject.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=Regret+auto
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Here we go again with another manual mafia thread... lol.

The Auto is a pretty good transmission but...... I don't how anyone that has spent any significant amount of time actually driving a sports car with a manual transmission would be fully happy moving the lever into drive and drinking their coffee of whatever else people were talking about on the last manual vs. auto thread.

The manual is more challenging and engaging. Some people like that, some do not. This is the question you have to ask your self.

The only performance knocks I have heard about it are, if you drive some of the newer DCT, dual clutch autos, the GM auto shifting seems delayed when shifted in the manual mode compared to the high end competition. And the ZL1 auto is only good to 1000whp, at least that is what I have been told when I inquire about putting one in my car. Manual handles 1200whp fine if you can keep a clutch in it. Of course not many ZL1's are dynoing over 1000whp.

Oh, an it is a slushbox, a wet gearset with a torque converter so you lose more power to the driveline inefficiency when compared to the manual. The auto cars will always dyno with less power because that transmission sucks more power that the tires will never see. But, most of the auto guys can't shift a manual well enough to capitalize on the improved driveline efficiency and will be much faster in an auto car. (J.Kidding,.... I had to rib you auto guys a little....lol)

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Just get the manual. Thank me later!

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Manual in my ZL1 and love it Auto in my Chevelle and love it. I do completely different things with the cars, one for drag racing one for street hi performance driving.
Now, my wife has a european car with a dual clutch. If you have ever been to a top end open wheel race and heard the shifts, that is what her car does, amazing. And the computer operating it, apart from paddle shifting yourself is truly amazing too, learning your every shift point.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
BumblebeeQ8

Drives: '14 ZL1 Ashen Gray Metallic
i have an auto an i love it, as far as modding goes you will lose some HP

the reason i got an auto , is because ive never driven a manual before

for day to day use, the auto is the better choice. plus where i live traffic jams are an issue, you will hate driving a manual car in Kuwait
Old 05-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro, 2015 C7 A6 Z51
Love my Auto. raced some mustangs with it and I had to switch to the paddles because they got out in front of my on the roll ons. Other then that no problems what so ever. Here is a perk, you don't have to replace the clutch in an Auto...lol
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
I love my tuned auto! I like to go drag racing every week which is why I went from a modded SS manual to a modded ZL1 auto. I also drive my car every day, 27,000 miles in one year, and love my auto when I get caught in traffic. It all comes down to how you intend to use your car. I'm sure you will love your Z either way!
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
auto is great...no regrets
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I'm not going to race the car or track it or even daily drive it. A manual would typically be my first choice but it's such a great deal on this car with every other option I want I just don't know if it's worth passing up.

I will say this I'm not overly impressed with the clutch in our Camaros and the driveline is also jerky with the manual. My Z06's have been much smoother.

My biggest concern is if I will become bored with it?
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #14
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
No regrets with the auto. The paddle shifters take some practice, especially using them on a curvy road. But they are fun once you master them. I drove an auto and manual during my test drives. Loved the manual but realized it would be a pain if you drive in traffic much. (which I do)

You wont go wrong either way.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote