Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
We stock the LS specific Joe Gibbs oil here.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
TheBandit18

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss M6
Ill more than likely use the ls30 on the oil change. How is the penzoil platnium 5w30? Heard a little about it
TheBandit18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/dealer-search/
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
summit racing has the driven oil in stock. there ground shipping is over night to me. from OH to NY. Comp Cams recommends break in oil with Hi ZDDP on their roller cams. doesnt matter if engine is new or not.
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/showt...6611#post56611 Joe Gibbs is Driven oil
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Using Mobil 1, but switched to 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. Despite other opinions, high ZDDP has no real benefit for a roller cam. Flat tappet, yes...roller, no. While not crucial to our engines, high ZDDP won't hurt anything either, as long as you are running without catalytic converters. High ZDDP with ruin them.

Mobil 1 has an excellent film strength rating, which is very important for high-RPM engines that have racing valve springs. The high valve-spring pressures can ruin a cam if your oil has a weaker film-strength rating. Pennzoil Ultra is also an excellent "over-the-counter" choice. You can compare ratings in an older thread I started here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304435
As for ZPPD not being helpful to roller cams, I seem to think other wise new cams have been eating them self up at a staggering rate. With the higher spring pressures on the lobes the zinc is a very welcome thing. Since oil manufacturers started lower the levels of ZPPD in oil, comp and other company's have seen an increase in failures on there roller cams. Take this for what you want but a little research on the topic will uncover the truth. For this reason I use Amsoil Z-rod.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I got my driven racing oil for the break in through a local auto parts store ....baxter, they show the dealers on the driven website, and I have 8 qts of br30 sitting on 8qts of ls30 waiting for the install. And I hope you are going to break in the engine properly and have a tuner lined up. And have pre selected the proper rod length, and have gone over the ls2 dampener thing.... And hopefully your 2010 is not one of the early builds that had more oil pump failures than any other Camaros..they all are melling even stock so it should be o.k. however if the relief valve ever sticks and you go to no oil pressure turn it off in a micro second. Ands I hope you have all the specialty tools lined up to do the job.

Heres stuff on synthetics.... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf
Old 02-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #21
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat988h View Post
As for ZPPD not being helpful to roller cams, I seem to think other wise new cams have been eating them self up at a staggering rate. With the higher spring pressures on the lobes the zinc is a very welcome thing. Since oil manufacturers started lower the levels of ZPPD in oil, comp and other company's have seen an increase in failures on there roller cams. Take this for what you want but a little research on the topic will uncover the truth. For this reason I use Amsoil Z-rod.
If anyone wants proof, I'm one of the said victims. Learn from my mistake!...
Attached Images

Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote