Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 12-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #1
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Carburetor for manual transmission

Slowly approaching the purchase of a 5 speed TKO 600 kit for my 2 gen. Now it have TH 350.
Now I drive a square bore Holley 750 cfm vacuum secondary with an enlarged accelerator pump and a larger injector.
The car drives absolutely divinely!

But I read that for manual transmissions it is better to switch to a carb with a mechanical secondary.

I was thinking of buying a Holly 650 cfm double pumper.
I tried to find even more information about it, but so far not much. So I try it here as well.

Does anyone have experience?

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
For street use you will be fine with the vacuum secondary's they are more forgiving. A mechanical secondary that's perfectly adjusted would be a little more responsive but for street use its hard to go wrong with vacuum secondary's.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
For street use you will be fine with the vacuum secondary's they are more forgiving. A mechanical secondary that's perfectly adjusted would be a little more responsive but for street use its hard to go wrong with vacuum secondary's.
Thanks for the reply.

So basically I wouldn't improve on anything. Just a more sensitive accelerator pedal response?

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
Zspoiler
Zspoiler

Drives: 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro
On my 1979 Z-28 Camaro I changed from a Turbo 350 to a Super T-10 4 speed transmission .And other than not using any linkage for the Turbo 350 .since its gone .I just ran it as is. It wouldnt make any sense to Chevrolet to do the same.
Zspoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:54 AM   #5
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspoiler View Post
On my 1979 Z-28 Camaro I changed from a Turbo 350 to a Super T-10 4 speed transmission .And other than not using any linkage for the Turbo 350 .since its gone .I just ran it as is. It wouldnt make any sense to Chevrolet to do the same.
Thank you for reply...

I understand...
Of course, I don't expect the car to stop suddenly after converting to a manual, beacuse carburetor.

But I'm a perfectionist and I like it when everything is finished and perfected.
So if change to a double pumper would be a benefit, I would go for it.

I searched the internet and read that the double pumper mechanical secondary is suitable for light cars with a manual transmission. But what is a light car? Where is the limit of a light / heavy car?

Old 01-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #6
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Thank you for reply...

I understand...
Of course, I don't expect the car to stop suddenly after converting to a manual, beacuse carburetor.

But I'm a perfectionist and I like it when everything is finished and perfected.
So if change to a double pumper would be a benefit, I would go for it.

I searched the internet and read that the double pumper mechanical secondary is suitable for light cars with a manual transmission. But what is a light car? Where is the limit of a light / heavy car?
Just something I googled George.
“According to Holley's website, they say "use of a mechanical secondary carburetor should be used on a vehicle less than 3100 lbs full weight.”
Old 01-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #7
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Just something I googled George.
“According to Holley's website, they say "use of a mechanical secondary carburetor should be used on a vehicle less than 3100 lbs full weight.”
Thanks, thanks a lot!!!
That's exactly what I needed to know

...less than 3100 lbs full weight
Camaro have full weight more than 3607 lbs

So there, the double pumper would not work properly.

I owe you beer

Old 01-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Thanks, thanks a lot!!!
That's exactly what I needed to know

...less than 3100 lbs full weight
Camaro have full weight more than 3607 lbs

So there, the double pumper would not work properly.

I owe you beer
You are welcome sir! No beer necessary.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
Zspoiler
Zspoiler

Drives: 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro
On the street a vacuum secondary works better than a double .Especially with today gas prices you get better fuel mileage as well.
Zspoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspoiler View Post
On the street a vacuum secondary works better than a double .Especially with today gas prices you get better fuel mileage as well.
If it was a noticeable benefit, I would not mind higher consumption.
I drove only 450 miles with him last year.