Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #71
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
I have to say, reading these posts and seeing the newly emerged Sub-Forum all dedicated to the Z/28 give me goose bumps.

It's so awesome to hear that they are finally bringing this beast back to life. I will own one of these. I'm glad I waited. I hope to see an LSA in the Z but what I'm concerned with is price. A base vette with an LS3 is 48K and a base SS is 31k so you have a it's a 35/65 price difference. A base (if you can call it that) CTS-V is 59,500. Using the same model, are we looking at a 39K base sticker price for the Z. Does that sound right? I mean that would be great now wouldn't it? Back to the engine itself. I would like to see the engine as it is now in the car with a few eco tweeks to keep Guzzler tax at bay. That's asking for a lot I know. I'm just thinking, if they deside to make a more superior CTS-V coupe, enhance the engine for the CTS-V for that evolution to continue. Who knows. I'm just excited to see the Z is coming back. All we have to do is wait.

Meanwhile, we can misinform each other and speculate on this car as much as we did as pre-pubesent kids misinforming each other on the opposite sex. Good times, good times.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #72
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
lsa's are awesome.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #73
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer View Post
I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I think this might not have been brought up before. I was wondering if from a model offering and marketing standpoint, if it would make more sense for the Z/28 to have the LS7 from the Z06, and the LSA supercharged engine could then be used as a limited edition ZL-1. An LSA Camaro should be somewhat limited and expensive...the LS7 Z/28 would make a great interim step to that.
I'd encourage you to read the posts It's been posted that LS7 is on the way out, and regardless of what people's preferrences are between it and LSA, I think that, on the whole, it's cheaper to build and stick LSA in Z28. That's my opinion, but it's been pretty widely accepted for a while now that LS7 is going out of production in the next near years; I can't see GM putting an engine with that limited a future, and add all the tooling and engineering costs, in Z28.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #74
BDA

Drives: GMC Acadia, F250
LSA would be great - LS9 for under 45 K even better

Either way, the day it is announced I will order.

Thanks GM
BDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #75
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'd encourage you to read the posts It's been posted that LS7 is on the way out, and regardless of what people's preferrences are between it and LSA, I think that, on the whole, it's cheaper to build and stick LSA in Z28. That's my opinion, but it's been pretty widely accepted for a while now that LS7 is going out of production in the next near years; I can't see GM putting an engine with that limited a future, and add all the tooling and engineering costs, in Z28.

Plus the LS7 wouldn't hold up to a supercharger. That's why the LSA is based off the LS3, due to the LS3 having thicker walls. I overall think that the LSA would be the best option as well.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #76
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Anyone got a S/c'd camaro in Las Vegas Nevada???

I wanna race.....(like always)
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #77
mxracer_72

Drives: 71 Z/28, 02 CR 250R, 06 Yamaha R6
+1 for whoever mentioned GM switching cams in the LSA for the Z/28 release. What I'd like to see (and am holding out for, you might say) is a cam profile that pulled higher in the RPM band, similar to the Z of old. Seems to me the heads, and hopefully the pistons, would be able to hold up. Combine the higher-revving LSA with suspension and gearing... oh man! On that note, there hasn't been any news about possible suspension mods?
mxracer_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #78
2010ssraper
2010camaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
LSA is 550+ pounds, LS3 is low 400's.

They would be adding a lot of weight to the nose of the car with the LSA.

'reduce weight elsewhere' is a common call for this problem, but that adds up to dollars that people are unwilling to spend in today's economy.

If the LSA does really make it into a Camaro 2 years from now, look for the car to top 4100 pounds.
lets just hope GM does something to make that front end LIGHT! Just so that LSA or LS7 with a nice upgrade in power will make it into the camaro, but on Motor Trend's site they said the LSA was already planned to go into the Z28 but hell I wouldnt mind... just some carbon fiber fenders and a carbon fiber hood and make a carbon fiber front end if someone will make that
It continues to amaze me. Ford guys think their shit is so great. Why then do you need DOHC and 4 valves per cyl. plus forced air to beat a production pushrod engine with 2 valves per cyl. Face it, when it comes down to it Ford just can't compete. New slogan for the Mustang. "You can't fix stupid"!
2010ssraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #79
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The LSA seems to be a complete forged bottom end engine except for the pistons which are still stronger than normal LS3 pistons but not the forged ones from the LS9. The LSA has a 1.9 cu in supercharger compared to the LS9's 2.3 cu in supercharger and increased cooling bricks in the intercooler, which when coupled with the forged pistons require's a slight increase in hp to operate compared to the LSA.

This is what i take away from the info provided and input from "Uncle Robin Lawrence" on the benefits of the LSA.

I remember the "Fbod Father" mention at the Indy gathering saying that GM would never loose a hp race nor a performance race with Ford's mustang.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #80
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Drives: 2013 Ashen Grey 2SS/RS M6
I see talks about LSA, but what about the LS9? I thought that was the exciting corvette engine ina Camaro for $125k
Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #81
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven Morehead View Post
I see talks about LSA, but what about the LS9? I thought that was the exciting corvette engine ina Camaro for $125k
Because the engine itself is north of 50 grand .... I don't know bout some of you guys but I aint rich lol

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #82
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
If the LSA is going to be the motor going in the Z/28 GM needs to go ahead and add forged pistons.

The hypereutectic pistons are not going to cut it.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #83
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
If the LSA is going to be the motor going in the Z/28 GM needs to go ahead and add forged pistons.

The hypereutectic pistons are not going to cut it.
Then expect the price to be equal or greater than the GT5000

GM mite as well make a whole new engine for the Camaro if they decide to do that

... What about the dry-sump LS3 that's in the Grand Sport ?

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #84
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Then expect the price to be equal or greater than the GT5000

GM mite as well make a whole new engine for the Camaro if they decide to do that

... What about the dry-sump LS3 that's in the Grand Sport ?
I would expect a LSA powered Z/28 to be priced very close to a GT500. That is what they are going after with the Z/28 in the first place, or at least that is how I understand it.

Don't know much about the dry-sump LS3 in the Grand Sport.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote