Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The future of hybrids

http://news.discovery.com/autos/new-...ry-110405.html

this is exciting stuff folks. A car could have electric motors (in other words, no lithium batteries) that run off gas and have triple the gas mileage whilst having incredible torque/hp and lack of gears and transmission. It is the perfect solution because right now batteries are too heavy, too expensive to buy and too expensive to replace. This engine does away with the need for batteries!!
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
Sounds awesome. However I fear it will take many years to implement this kind of technology. For now I'll buy a new generation Fusion Hybrid.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Considering the article is a year and a half old and I haven't read much about it since then, I don't think it really sent Shock Waves anywhere. Later articles are a rehash of the same stuff, and still predicting something that works a year out.

This is a wait and see. And likely a long wait. There is a long road between a demonstration of principle and practicality.

Also, I would love to see how they think this will save 1,000 pounds.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Considering the article is a year and a half old and I haven't read much about it since then, I don't think it really sent Shock Waves anywhere. Later articles are a rehash of the same stuff, and still predicting something that works a year out.

This is a wait and see. And likely a long wait. There is a long road between a demonstration of principle and practicality.

It COULD save that much weight. On average it would probably save around 600 I'd say.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I caught that too. They claimed it could save 1000 lbs vs 'current engine systems'. What the heck weighs that much in a normal car? Engines tend to weigh somewhere between what, 250 and 500 lbs (I4-V8)? Even if this could somehow eliminate the need for a transmission, thats only another ... 150-250? Where could the rest even come from?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
Analysis by Nic Halverson
Wed Apr 6, 2011

Apparently they discovered this new technology on mars because its a year and a half later and the shockwave still hasn't reached earth yet.
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote