Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Transporting My Camaro

Next month I'm moving from Phoenix to Denver and for obvious reasons I don't want to drive my car there. I've been looking into auto transport services but I've never done this before so I have no experience with them.

Anyone have experience shipping a vehicle? Should I pay more for enclosed shipping or is it not worth it?

Any advice is appreciated!
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
ponywars

Drives: 2012 V6
fred flintstone that bitch and you'll be there in no time
ponywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I don't understand the comment "for obvious reasons". I'm all for road trips and there are some great roads enroute to your destination. Drive the thing!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
I don't understand the comment "for obvious reasons". I'm all for road trips and there are some great roads enroute to your destination. Drive the thing!

I have to drive the Suburban with my dogs and wife in it.

I also drove it there and back a month ago and quickly came to the conclusion if you want to keep anything nice you don't take it on 900 mile road trips. I had car run over a tired tread it shot that sucker straight at the grill of my car and I hit it dead. I ended up running it over and it ripped off the lower air deflector. Not to mention all the nice new rock chips.

I could rent a car trailer and tow it, but I'm pretty certain with the cost of the car hauler and the extra gas I'd use to tow it there it wouldn't be much more to ship it.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
I have to drive the Suburban with my dogs and wife in it.

I also drove it there and back a month ago and quickly came to the conclusion if you want to keep anything nice you don't take it on 900 mile road trips. I had car run over a tired tread it shot that sucker straight at the grill of my car and I hit it dead. I ended up running it over and it ripped off the lower air deflector. Not to mention all the nice new rock chips.

I could rent a car trailer and tow it, but I'm pretty certain with the cost of the car hauler and the extra gas I'd use to tow it there it wouldn't be much more to ship it.

i would check this option out. probably cheaper than having someone else move it.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Now I understand.

I shipped a car from central Texas to my daughter in S. Carolina a couple months ago. It wasn't enclosed, just your regular car-transporter trailer. Cost just over $700 drive way to drive way. Took five days. We were very satisfied with the company. The company was "Montway Auto Transport"; I contacted them thru their website. Potential drawback for you--they are out of Georgia and may not operate as far west as Arizona/Colorado areas. There are other transport companies out there as well. Google pulls up a lot; plenty of on-line reviews as well.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Towing worked for me years ago when moving from California to Florida. Used a '69 Malibu w/350 to tow a '70 VW Beetle. Not much different than pulling a vacation/travel trailer.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Rent a Uhaul trailer for 45 bucks a day and tow it. You MPG may drop 2-3 but on the highway once you get the weight moving it doesn't take much to keep it going.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Rent a Uhaul trailer for 45 bucks a day and tow it. You MPG may drop 2-3 but on the highway once you get the weight moving it doesn't take much to keep it going.
U-Haul, I did, pulled my 71' El Camino for about 250 miles, mileage suffered slightly but well worth it.
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
I had my car shipped from Niagara Falls Ontario to Ottawa Ontario when I bought it. It was shipped open carriage for $200. It arrived dirty as hell and could have gained extra rock chips but I wouldn't know cause I bought it blind. ( No regrets btw I love my car )

If shipping I'd definitely opt for covered. Or at least put a car cover on it.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Tow the car. What good is the Suburban if you don't actually tow something with it?

You have to drive the Suburban anyhow, might as well hook up a trailer and put the car on it. You'll have the peace of mind knowing exactly where everyone and everything is rather than wondering if you'll ever see your car again, and/or why there are scuffs/scratches in places you hadn't seen before.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I had my car shipped from Monterey, CA to NC a few years back... used AAA Transport. It was just a tad above $700 driveway to driveway. I paid partial payment when they picked it up, and the rest on delivery. Took 5 days to deliver it, and the trailer was not enclosed, but I was very pleased.

I caution about putting a cover on it... the flapping of the cover will definately scratch the paint! Don't ask me how I know, but experience is the best teacher.

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
I had my Camaro shipped from Norfolk Va to Orange Ca. Went online and found a place that does it. It cost about $800. A flat bed came and picked it up and took it to a loading area to be put on a trailer with other cars. Car arrived in Cali and a flat bed brought it to my house. I had no issues and nothing wrong with the car.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
To add a counterpoint: I had my car shipped from Connecticut to Maryland through the dealer's courier. The car was on an open car carrier with other vehicles. The fee was also about $800. The courier managed to scuff one of the rims (mind you, the car was brand new), and the interior had some dirt and such from the courier not taking care. It was worth it to me rather than have the car driven from CT, but if I had the choice and a vehicle to do so, I would have trailered it myself.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote