Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Stalkker66

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue Metallic
Radio interference through speakers

Hey guys, Just curious if anyone else has noticed any radio type interference when the engine is running? Even when i turn the radio off it is still there. Sounds like when you have electronic interference with the rpm to the speakers. I just installed the diablo predator tune for 93 octane. runs good but now have this squeeling noise while engine runing. just seeing if anyone else has a radio type interference.
Thanks guys,
jeff
Stalkker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
EDWEIRD

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Send a message via Skype™ to EDWEIRD
That sounds like a ground loop problem. Anything new that you wired up probably needs to have a new ground run to a different point on the chassis.

Ed
EDWEIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Stalkker66

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue Metallic
Little bit more update. I took the radio fuse out and the noise was still there. So i was looking around some more. It sounds like its under the dash at the wheel. When i turn the steering wheel it changes tone and even almost goes away. This is making me think that it is something to do with the power steering pump. Maybe its just normal? I think my truck did that too.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
Stalkker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
EDWEIRD

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Send a message via Skype™ to EDWEIRD
If the sound is coming from the speakers - it will be a ground loop. Depending on the type of stereo system you had in the car (Boston vs. not) there is an amplifier that provides the signal to the speakers, so removing the head unit fuse won't defeat the buzz sound.

Does the diablo thing have power hooked to it? A pos and neg connection? If so - thats the easy culprit. If not, a ground loop has opened up in your system. Typically, you would see these when an aftermarket device has been added and it is not grounding properly to the chassis, causing the buzzy drone sound on the radio that matches with the RPM's.

Here's the good way of getting rid of it: The solution is to ensure that all metal chassis are interconnected, then connected to the electrical distribution system at one point (often referred to as a "single-point ground").

Beyond that, they sell ground loop isolators at Radio Shack - but that's the not so good way of fixing the issue.

Good luck man, chasing down ground loops can be a bear. Start with anything you added new that hooks up to a sensor, or the chassis.

Ed
EDWEIRD is offline   Reply With Quote