Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Advice on MRT 2.0

Ok, I was looking to put together a custom magnaflow axle back exhaust but after doing the math I would be better off just getting the mrt 2.0s. My question is; how is the drone in over all driving and highway driving? Is it difficult to talk to your passenger? I don't always want obnoxious exhaust in my ear. Also I know this will be different for every shop but how much did you pay for install?
Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
MRT 2.0 is the most popular axle back set-up going for our V6.

Drone is a relative issue. Some don't mind it at all, while others found it annoying.

At 68 - 74 MPH on the highway is when I noticed it, even more so when on the throttle going up hill. Is it so bad that you can;t talk to the passenger, no.

As for the install, It can be done for approx. $75 - $100 welded in place.

I installed mine in my garage and 3 weeks later I went to MRT for them to weld them in place.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
Ok, I was looking to put together a custom magnaflow axle back exhaust but after doing the math I would be better off just getting the mrt 2.0s. My question is; how is the drone in over all driving and highway driving? Is it difficult to talk to your passenger? I don't always want obnoxious exhaust in my ear. Also I know this will be different for every shop but how much did you pay for install?
Thanks
Like rtcat said, the drone with the v2 is right in that interstate cruising window around 70. Drone is a subjective thing but to me while it is not intrusive and won't interrupt a conversation is is there. It is very common for MRT v2 owners to install a resonated x-pipe along with it. That kills the drone altogether.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Synergy women

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Like rtcat said, the drone with the v2 is right in that interstate cruising window around 70. Drone is a subjective thing but to me while it is not intrusive and won't interrupt a conversation is is there. It is very common for MRT v2 owners to install a resonated x-pipe along with it. That kills the drone altogether.
The drone is terrible. Removed mine after a couple hundred miles. Went back to stock.
Synergy women is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Thanks for the imput so far. I thought this might be a issue so I was thinking that I would put in this magnaflow X (11385) hopefully this gives it the right rumble outside and a mellow tone inside.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
Thanks for the imput so far. I thought this might be a issue so I was thinking that I would put in this magnaflow X (11385) hopefully this gives it the right rumble outside and a mellow tone inside.

If you go with a Magnaflow X pipe it is the 11386 that you want to buy.

Replace the H pipe.

Here are some photo's from my set-up.

The MRT's weigh 9.5 lbs each.

The stock ones weighed 25.5 lbs. each

This was a saving of 32 lbs of the back end.

Name:  a.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  c.JPG
Views: 611
Size:  198.0 KB

Name:  d.JPG
Views: 726
Size:  174.1 KB

Name:  post 1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  post.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  113.2 KB

Lastly here are a couple videos done a couple years ago, before I added the OBX headers and X pipe.

This one is one that SCRMNG filmed for me while we were at the dragstrip. the last 30 seconds is me on a single pass.

This*last clip is one that danrc28 put together when visiting me to hear a MRT 2.0 system. He went from Toronto to Florida and back stopping along the way picking up sound bytes. The video starts off with outside rev's, then an on ramp full throttle run, then an acceleration run from inside while talking about drone. Tape finishes with me passing the camera on the highway doing 3rd gear runs. Which has not been recorded by anyone else using the MRT (or at least I am not aware of anyone with this type of recording.) (rcat's)

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If you are worried about drone and considering hacking up the midpipe you might as well just go with a catback. A Solo catback sounds amazing on these cars and it 100% drone free.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
If you are worried about drone and considering hacking up the midpipe you might as well just go with a catback. A Solo catback sounds amazing on these cars and it 100% drone free.
Again, drone is subjective.... I've ridden in V6 Camaros with the Solo catback systems... It was NOT 100% drone free... there was drone... certainly not enough to bother me at all, but it was there...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
If you go with a Magnaflow X pipe it is the 11386 that you want to buy.

Replace the H pipe.

Here are some photo's from my set-up.

The MRT's weigh 9.5 lbs each.

The stock ones weighed 25.5 lbs. each

This was a saving of 32 lbs of the back end.

Attachment 586729

Attachment 586730

Attachment 586731

Attachment 586732

Attachment 586733

Attachment 586734

Lastly here are a couple videos done a couple years ago, before I added the OBX headers and X pipe.

This one is one that SCRMNG filmed for me while we were at the dragstrip. the last 30 seconds is me on a single pass.

This*last clip is one that danrc28 put together when visiting me to hear a MRT 2.0 system. He went from Toronto to Florida and back stopping along the way picking up sound bytes. The video starts off with outside rev's, then an on ramp full throttle run, then an acceleration run from inside while talking about drone. Tape finishes with me passing the camera on the highway doing 3rd gear runs. Which has not been recorded by anyone else using the MRT (or at least I am not aware of anyone with this type of recording.) (rcat's)

Thanks for the pix. I'm going to do this exact setup except the mrt mufflers. I went to an exhaust shop today and he gave me a good deal on the setup like yours. Instead of the mrt mufflers im using oval magnaflow mufflers, hopefully this setup turns out how I want it to. As a just in case I'm keeping the stock trash cans for a month lol

Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
ccalderon210

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Ls
Cool

i currently have the mrt v2 w/ black cerakote tips paired with a bbk x pipe. although it was REALLY raspy and loud at first, as the computer learned the new exhaust, things started toning down. my set up does NOT have resonators and it is something i am looking to get, do yourself a favor and get the resonated x pipe from magnaflow, itll cut down on rasp. as for drone, i get the worst drone at 80mph, but its all relative. the drone from this current set up isnt that bad. but of course, to each his own; if the drone ends up being too much to live with you can always have a j pipe fab'd up at your local muffler shop. here's a link that has helped me http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182467.
good luck
ccalderon210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Misty

Drives: 11 SGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Again, drone is subjective.... I've ridden in V6 Camaros with the Solo catback systems... It was NOT 100% drone free... there was drone... certainly not enough to bother me at all, but it was there...
I have to agree. I have a solo catback on my V6 and there is definately some drone when cruising around 70 mph. I find it annoying. I find the resonance noise is also a problem when I step on the throttle and hit the 2200-2400 rpm range. This is even more annoying. I have adjusted the j-pipes to several settings with no change to the inside cabin noise. The exhaust tone on the outside sounds excellent. So I guess, it depends on your tolerance for different frequency of tones the exhaust system puts out.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote