Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Camaro vs Mustang profit

We all know Camaro is the volume leader in this segment but I'd be willing to bet Ford has more margin on the Mustang than GM on the Camaro or Dodge on the Challenger. Thoughts?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I don't have any real facts only speculation but I think that It might be true that ford has a little more room for profit on the mustang than the camaro especially with ford still using a live rear end. When it comes to the most profit per car I would have to say challenger they cost alot more than the camaro or mustang and I don't see why. What merits the extra cost.
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon View Post
I don't have any real facts only speculation but I think that It might be true that ford has a little more room for profit on the mustang than the camaro especially with ford still using a live rear end. When it comes to the most profit per car I would have to say challenger they cost alot more than the camaro or mustang and I don't see why. What merits the extra cost.
Well actually the Solid Axle (for the Mustang at least) ended up costing more than the IRS did. As for the Challenger, I imagine that the R&D still hasn't been paid off simply due to the lack of sales, though the same could be said about the Camaro, not lack of sales wise but R&D being paid off. I seriously doubt at the Camaro's R&D has been paid off yet but that being said due to the fact that so many of the Camaro's drivetrain are off of another vehicle it wouldn't surprise me in the least...

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 04-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon View Post
I don't have any real facts only speculation but I think that It might be true that ford has a little more room for profit on the mustang than the camaro especially with ford still using a live rear end.
Ford also uses a DOHC V8, while GM is using OHV. LS3s are cheaper to produce than Coyotes, and are more than likely cheaper to produce than even the V6 in the LTs.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
Ford also uses a DOHC V8, while GM is using OHV. LS3s are cheaper to produce than Coyotes, and are more than likely cheaper to produce than even the V6 in the LTs.
This is true... Just look at the price of the 5.4 and 5.8 they are drastically more expensive than the LSA. They of course don't have the advantage of being in multiple vehicles but the point remains. The Mustangs main cost is its engine.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
This is true... Just look at the price of the 5.4 and 5.8 they are drastically more expensive than the LSA. They of course don't have the advantage of being in multiple vehicles but the point remains. The Mustangs main cost is its engine.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Well actually the Solid Axle (for the Mustang at least) ended up costing more than the IRS did. As for the Challenger, I imagine that the R&D still hasn't been paid off simply due to the lack of sales, though the same could be said about the Camaro, not lack of sales wise but R&D being paid off. I seriously doubt at the Camaro's R&D has been paid off yet but that being said due to the fact that so many of the Camaro's drivetrain are off of another vehicle it wouldn't surprise me in the least...
I didn't know that the solid rear axel costs more and I guess it does make since about the R&D for the challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
I didn't think about that the LS3 would be cheaper to make than the coyotes maybe GM has a higher profit margin.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Actually for the Challenger to break even it only has to sell 25k per year which it has far exceeded every year. Remember, the R&D for the Challenger also counts for it's platform mates the 300 and Charger, so the output for the Challenger isn't that high.

Same can be said with the Camaro too. it shares platforms with a number of cars from Austrailia, the SS, shares drivetrain components with the Vette, the TR6060 with everyone (lol).

Last edited by Stew; 04-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
I would imagine that the OP's assertation is most likely true. Ford has been producing essentially the same car for a long time now. Their R&D costs were probably recouped a long time ago.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
I would imagine that the OP's assertation is most likely true. Ford has been producing essentially the same car for a long time now. Their R&D costs were probably recouped a long time ago.
Hopefully, although someone pointed out the benefits of chassis sharing, something I believe the current Mustang has done without.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
A lot of different factors come into play tooling, platform sharing etc. personally I believe that the camaro costs more on average to make since it rides on a new platform and the tooling costs might not of been paid of yet. I think the mustangs engine costs more than the LS3 since its more complex and is not shared as much as the LS3. I belive I read someway that the v6 camaro engine (llt,Lfx) cost more to make than an LS3 !
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
PrincessLoveMustangs
Mustang Sally

Drives: 04 GT Mustang and 93 Nissan 240SX
It's nothing better than that horse power

PrincessLoveMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLoveMustangs View Post
It's nothing better than that horse power
yea, actually putting down the horsepower.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
PrincessLoveMustangs
Mustang Sally

Drives: 04 GT Mustang and 93 Nissan 240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
yea, actually putting down the horsepower.

Lets race ...

PrincessLoveMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote