Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
6 weeks off

Currently recovering from Umbilical Hernia surgery so I have the next 6 weeks or so off from work, the weather this time of year is perfect,not too hot and not too cold.

And I'm stuck here in the house, perfect weather to be out roadtrippin but driving the car is totally out of the question

I used to joke about how nice it would be to be off for a few months in the summer,this isn't quite what I had in mind.

Anyone here go through this? how long until i can reasonably be out and about and back to driving my baby again?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Haven't gone through it but just want say "wow, that sucks!" Hope it's sooner than later that you're up and around.

But maybe we'll see your post count go from 216 to near Adams in the next 6 weeks!
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
alanhurst
Master Chief

Thanks.
haha, you just might. I look at some of the post counts on here and I can't believe some of them.

Honestly I'm here pretty much everyday but usually I'm digging through all the info on this site from over the years as most questions a person might have about the camaro have been addressed already.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Must be torture!!

Good luck, hope you recover fast!
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
alanhurst
Master Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Must be torture!!

Good luck, hope you recover fast!
thank you
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
alanhurst
Master Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
My hernia surgery was ~10 days until I could sit comfortably. Once you can sit I think you can drive. I did.

Walking took longer before I wasn't in pain so depending on your plans you have to consider that.

Best to ask your surgeon though. Are you scheduled for a post-op?
Ya I go back in on tuesday for my post-op, they called me yesterday to check in with me,make sure I was doing ok.

I can sit fine and walking is kinda ok,not great but not horrible. But so far sleeping (laying down) is impossible. I've had to sleep on my couch because it has a slanted back not unlike a hospital bed.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i have not had that but i my dad has had several back and neck surgeries that were supposed to keep him from driving. unfortunately he is stubborn at not doing things.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
I had the same surgery a year ago and I was pain free after 2 days. I had it done in a hospital that only does hernia surgeries, you could tell *who had groin hernias because they were all bent over walking very slowly. I would say I was 100% after a week, best of luck in your recovery.

PS, I was driving the day I got home after my 4 day stay in the hospital.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I had the same surgery a year ago and I was pain free after 2 days. I had it done in a hospital that only does hernia surgeries, you could tell *who had groin hernias because they were all bent over walking very slowly. I would say I was 100% after a week, best of luck in your recovery.

PS, I was driving the day I got home after my 4 day stay in the hospital.
Similiar experience, out-patient surgery, couple of days of laying around at home and I was good to go.....

Good luck .......!!!

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I don't know about that in particular, but I was out for 2 months with a back injury once. I literally saw everything there was to see on TV. It was about 4 years before a TV program or movie came on that I hadn't seen.

My advice, find some hobbies, books, whatever to keep you from going insane
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhurst View Post
Currently recovering from Umbilical Hernia surgery so I have the next 6 weeks or so off from work, the weather this time of year is perfect,not too hot and not too cold.

And I'm stuck here in the house, perfect weather to be out roadtrippin but driving the car is totally out of the question

I used to joke about how nice it would be to be off for a few months in the summer,this isn't quite what I had in mind.

Anyone here go through this? how long until i can reasonably be out and about and back to driving my baby again?
The main factor for when you can be back to driving depends on how long you stay on pain meds. I had the same umbilical hernia surgery around 6-7 years ago ... was out-patient, though was pretty well zonked out for the next day or two. It was a few more days before I slept in bed (probably a total of 5-6 days from surgery - was too difficult to try to lay down or to sit up). I slept in the recliner. Think I took meds for 2-3 days and then shifted to Advil).

Around 4th day, I was good on steps.

One word of caution ... do NOT sneeze if at all possible! I did on day after surgery and thought that pieces of me might be wedged into the vaulted ceiling in the living room in spite of attempting to grab and hold all my stomach together prior to it.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Yep a year ago. 2 wks for ACL reconstruction.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
DoubleARS

Drives: 2010 Dodge Challenger
I had umbilical hernia repair last October. I was in bed for 2 days and back to work (mechanical design engineer so desk job) on the 6th day after surgery.
DoubleARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
alanhurst
Master Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
The main factor for when you can be back to driving depends on how long you stay on pain meds. I had the same umbilical hernia surgery around 6-7 years ago ... was out-patient, though was pretty well zonked out for the next day or two. It was a few more days before I slept in bed (probably a total of 5-6 days from surgery - was too difficult to try to lay down or to sit up). I slept in the recliner. Think I took meds for 2-3 days and then shifted to Advil).

Around 4th day, I was good on steps.

One word of caution ... do NOT sneeze if at all possible! I did on day after surgery and thought that pieces of me might be wedged into the vaulted ceiling in the living room in spite of attempting to grab and hold all my stomach together prior to it.
Ya good advice. Don't have to worry about that so much, they are making me wear this strech brace-belt kinda thing until I go back for my follow up visit. (can only remove to shower)
The meds they have me on are oxycodone w/apap (basically percocet)
so the pain isnt so bad but they have made using the bathroom kinda interesting to say the least.