Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
a lesson on automatic transmission

I have allot of people on this forums and people i talk to that dont seem to understand the different between - --- manual mode ----- and -- manual

so i thought i could help the people who need a lesson

basic facts ***
ok a manual, means that a person manually shifts the gears, and uses a clutch to slide the gears into place. or how ever you wanna word it.

a auto is made to automatically change the gears for the driver with it built in technology.

a Nissan gtr, it has paddle shifting. most paddle shifters have double clutch systems. which make unbelievable fast shifts. ( most super cars are going this way)

when u have a auto, and you put you car into the "M" and you think its manual mode is just as effective as having a manual or even better when people tell me that there auto has paddle shifters and says its faster because Ferraris have them. well they are both wrong

if you have a auto then you have a system called "tiptronic"
tiptronic is not a double clutch system

it is not as effective as a manual or paddle shifters
but one day they will only make paddle shifters, because a mans hand can not out speed a supercomputer.

do some homework . hope this helps
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Not to disagree with you too much, because I believe your facts are straight about the differences between tiptronic and double clutch systems...but I've done my homework. I drove manual transmission Camaros for over 25 years.

Over that time, I became very accomplished at shifting quickly and smoothly, but there is no way I could manually beat the shift times of my new 2SS L99 with its tiptronic. Just pulling away from a stop light is even faster in the L99, because to beat it with a manual shifter, I would have to hold the clutch in while waiting for the light to turn green (terrible for the throwout bearing and pressure plate, to my understanding).

And then, while each manual gear shift requires that I push in the clutch and let off the gas while changing gears (even if only for a split second), The L99 shifts by itself (very quickly) without me having to lift off the accelerator at all!

I know very experienced manual drivers might beat your average auto driver in a 0-60 or 1/4 mile race, but I think that would be mainly due to experience and not the transmissions of their respective cars.

Now...all of this is just my opinion...and I don't know engines or trannys well enough to state any of this as fact. I'm just posting my thoughts here to continue the conversation. I'd love to learn more about factors I might not have considered here--like the differences in the L99 vs LS3 engines (valves, lifters, etc.).

Bottom line...please help me understand (with all other things being equal), how a manual can beat the shift times of an auto.

Thanks!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
In GM's official stated 0-60 and quarter mile times, the auto is equal to or slightly faster than the manual. Something to chew on, for anyone with a manual superiority complex.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
i have the l99 and i know for a fact the trans shifts quicker on its own compared to using the paddle shifter there is a slight hesitation when you paddle shift. the quickest shift possible is dropping the shifter into manual or s on the dash but dont touch the paddles just hold the gas peddal to the floor and let it shift by itself then theres no chance of hitting the rev limiter which will make it bog and slow down.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
for quickest shifts stick it in M (sport mode) and let the computer figure out when to shift. If you want it even quicker still then get a tune and have it shift quicker, I have a tune with aggressive auto shifting and a supercharger/headers and it's damn quick.

Using manual mode (tap shifters) is not to speed up the shifts but rather have you decide when to shift and when to just hold onto a gear, or down shift. If you are racing around a track then this might be useful, not useful at all for drag racing as it's slower the computer shifting and in every day driving only useful for occasional fun but I rarely use it. A DCT might be nice for the camaro for lightening fast shifts around a track but still for drag racing you would want the computer to shift for you.

Bottom line is it just comes down to what you want to do with the car and if you like to manually shift or not. The performance is very comparable with both, how fast you want to go in the 1/4 mile is mainly an issue with how much money you want to spend on mods.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
mikedcmf
Mike

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
who cares... u bought an automatic because you wanted to drive an automatic. with the camaro it has the paddle shifter option. it also runs on 4 cyleners on the highway, ow cool is that? I bought the stick shift because its fun... mere preference. you might take me off the line, you might take me 0-60, you might take me in the 1/4 mile, i really don't care. I do know that the 850 miles i have put on my slick 2ss have been incredibly fun This car rocks the socks and the looks.... I stop traffic like a hot blonde going topless
jmho guys, i guess i am bored
mikedcmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Where the manual transmission succeeds is that it's always in the gear YOU want. Some autos with the shift it yourself option are better than others but some will force an upshift before you want it. Also autos require more attention over time. Manuals mainly just have to worry about clutch wear. Autos can offer far faster shifts but in my opinion manuals offer a far more enjoyable experience.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Where the manual transmission succeeds is that it's always in the gear YOU want. Some autos with the shift it yourself option are better than others but some will force an upshift before you want it. Also autos require more attention over time. Manuals mainly just have to worry about clutch wear. Autos can offer far faster shifts but in my opinion manuals offer a far more enjoyable experience.
The tranny on the A6 does not upshift automatically. It will bounce of the rev limiter
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedcmf View Post
who cares... u bought an automatic because you wanted to drive an automatic. with the camaro it has the paddle shifter option. it also runs on 4 cyleners on the highway, ow cool is that? I bought the stick shift because its fun... mere preference. you might take me off the line, you might take me 0-60, you might take me in the 1/4 mile, i really don't care. I do know that the 850 miles i have put on my slick 2ss have been incredibly fun This car rocks the socks and the looks.... I stop traffic like a hot blonde going topless
jmho guys, i guess i am bored
Don't sound like a sore loser. There is nothing wrong with getting a manual and you don't have to defend yourself. Everyone knows why people get the manual...
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
klatterblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
The tranny on the A6 does not upshift automatically. It will bounce of the rev limiter
yes it does upshift automaticaly but in man.tap shift mode it will hit the rev limiter ,several options with the L99.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
klatterblast

ultimatly for serious drag racing everyone knows automatics are king. mostly powerglides, th350 and th400