Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
LEDGlow Footwell Lighting Help

Which power source should I hook up the red wire to? My thing came with a control box so I guess I can turn it off and on whenever but only if its to a 12 v Source
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
J_Vibe92

All that came with my kit is the red and black wire which runs through the LEDGlow control box which runs 4 wires to the 4 ledglow lights.

Website of what they look like is here.
I really need help lol

http://instructions.ledunderbody.com...terior-Kit.pdf
http://www.ledunderbody.com/7-Color-...hting-Kit.aspx
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
KMAN114

Drives: 2010 Black LS
what don't you understand? on the first page of the instructions it shows you to connect red to power and black to ground.
KMAN114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
I think he is asking where to hook the red wire (hot lead) up to.

The red wire can tap into any hot lead you want, whether it be a switched power source or a constant hot. Since you have a power box for the lights themselves you can hook the red wire straight to a constant hot since you can turn the lights off and on from the power box. A good spot for a constant hot is under the hood in the main fuse box.

If you want switched power (key needs to be turned to on position) you can tap into the grey wire coming out of the main wiring harness for the BCM which is under the drivers side dash right above the brake pedal.

The black wire (ground) can hook up to any metal bolt under the dash.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
Which power source should I hook up the red wire to? My thing came with a control box so I guess I can turn it off and on whenever but only if its to a 12 v Source

I used this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s01_i00

Plugged it into the outlet in the center console.

All of the lights are under the seats - 2 in front and 2 in back instead of footwells. Lights up front and back nicely!
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I wired mine into a switch and then into a spare constant 12v fuse in the drivers side fuse box. I wanted to be able to turn mine on and off as I wanted.

I can't see how that cigarette lighter power supply would give you a clean and finished look. I understand that it may do the job, but I wouldn't want visible wires running out of the console to my light strips.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
I wired mine into a switch and then into a spare constant 12v fuse in the drivers side fuse box. I wanted to be able to turn mine on and off as I wanted.

I can't see how that cigarette lighter power supply would give you a clean and finished look. I understand that it may do the job, but I wouldn't want visible wires running out of the console to my light strips.

The control box that these lights come with allows you to turn them on and off among other options. Also, with the cigarette lighter power supply option, if you leave it plugged in and the control box on, the lights come on when you turn the key and/or start the car.

It is a clean and finished look. Wires feed through the holes in the bottom of the console. There are no visible wires running out of the console to the light strips.

I will try and post pics tomorrow of the install.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
J_Vibe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
I think he is asking where to hook the red wire (hot lead) up to.

The red wire can tap into any hot lead you want, whether it be a switched power source or a constant hot. Since you have a power box for the lights themselves you can hook the red wire straight to a constant hot since you can turn the lights off and on from the power box. A good spot for a constant hot is under the hood in the main fuse box.

If you want switched power (key needs to be turned to on position) you can tap into the grey wire coming out of the main wiring harness for the BCM which is under the drivers side dash right above the brake pedal.

The black wire (ground) can hook up to any metal bolt under the dash.
How do I tap into the grey wire? And which one in the driver side fuse box do I plug the wire into??
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
J_Vibe92

Electrical stuff confuses me more then anything under the hood lol
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
J_Vibe92

Bump. Anybody lol
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I wired mine to the drivers side fuse box and then to a toggle switch. I show my car in shows so I wanted it wired hot that way I can turn it on and off without the car running. There are a few spare fuses that are hot you can easily hook up too.

Edited: I wouldnt even try to run it to the main fuse box under the hood. Getting thru the firewall would be a nightmare. The drivers side fuse box works great for the hookup. Open the door, the panel on the side of the dash pops off. Start with the bottom and pull. I found 3 or 4 (cant remember) constant hot empty fuses you can hook your hot up too. And there is plenty of places to ground too as well all in the same place. Very simple. You can also go to your local auto parts store and pick up whats called a "piggy back" it plugs into the hot fuse and has a wire off the end that you can wire your hot lead too.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I wired mine to the drivers side fuse box and then to a toggle switch. I show my car in shows so I wanted it wired hot that way I can turn it on and off without the car running. There are a few spare fuses that are hot you can easily hook up too.

Edited: I wouldnt even try to run it to the main fuse box under the hood. Getting thru the firewall would be a nightmare. The drivers side fuse box works great for the hookup. Open the door, the panel on the side of the dash pops off. Start with the bottom and pull. I found 3 or 4 (cant remember) constant hot empty fuses you can hook your hot up too. And there is plenty of places to ground too as well all in the same place. Very simple. You can also go to your local auto parts store and pick up whats called a "piggy back" it plugs into the hot fuse and has a wire off the end that you can wire your hot lead too.
That's exactly what I did. I added a fuse to a 12v constant spare in the drivers side fuse box that is on a switch so I can run it at shows or whenever I want.

I will say that the wiring from the engine compartment is not as difficult as you say. In most models, there is a hole in the firewall already that has noting running through it, it is just plugged up with a rubber plug. If you reach up in there behind the brake master system, you will feel it. The only cars I have found without it are some 2010 models.

I will see if I can find a diagram of the fuse panel to show the constant 12v spots.

EDIT: See the pic below (it is not my pic). The blank spaces are what I used to run switched power for my footwells. I used the same "add-a-fuse" that is shown. If you want a switched source, it is also detailed. I used this for my radar detector to power on with the ignition.

Here is a link to the "add-a-fuse" that I picked up at my local AutoZone for like $4.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...entifier=32416

I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmink View Post
The control box that these lights come with allows you to turn them on and off among other options. Also, with the cigarette lighter power supply option, if you leave it plugged in and the control box on, the lights come on when you turn the key and/or start the car.

It is a clean and finished look. Wires feed through the holes in the bottom of the console. There are no visible wires running out of the console to the light strips.

I will try and post pics tomorrow of the install.
I guess I was thinking that a cig lighter plug would take up even more space than necessary in the already small console, especially when there are plenty of wires nearby that can be tapped very easily. As long as it works for you, then that's all that matters. I'd be interested in seeing pics of your install though, if you are able to get some.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I wired my control box directly to the positive cable under the hood. I put an inline fuse in the power wire to protect it.

I can turn them on/off whenever I want.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote