Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #43
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
actually the sticker on the inside of my door jam says for my tires it is 32psi cold,

32psi cold is 36-37 psi under normal driving temps.. 36psi cold would put the tires above 40psi under normal driving, which would result in over inflated wear patterns..
Strange. Same sticker on my 2012 SS states 36 psi cold tire pressure.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #44
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
At 29k now, and at the wear bars.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #45
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
Strange. Same sticker on my 2012 SS states 36 psi cold tire pressure.
LS3 vs. L99?

not that a difference in motor should make a difference.. but who knows..

bottom line is I should have been able to get at least 25K from them, and won't even get 18K. It's just frustrating.. Performance vehicle or not..
Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #46
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Seen this a lot..
The roads in your area have a LOT to do with tire wear.. On motorcycle fourms we always had guys complaining about tire wear and others that got 100% more than most..
For example, in PA roads are fairly smooth finish and a rear tire on a Sport bike might last 15k where the same exact tire/bike in NY state might be totally done in 8k.. Road surface is totally different and eats tires!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #47
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I have the p zeros but only about 3k miles on them. Hopefully I get 30,000 out of them but you should know these tires are meant to be extra sticky and dont last long. Tread rating is only like 220?

If you want long lasting tires get the new falcons, tread rating for the camaro was about 580 last I checked and they're about half the price of pirellis.

I work at a shop so I'm sticking with the nicer looking pirellis due to extra discounts
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #48
Dexter9522

Drives: SS
I envy you guys getting high mileage out of your rear p zeros. 13k and mine are done actually at discount as we speak. Went with nitto motivo in stock size until I garage this thing. It's my daily driver until tax time so I'm pretty sure the motivos will last
2013 ss M6 471 / 428 adm intake / texas speed 1 7/8 long tubes no cats / npp / slp underdive pulley / cordes performance defibrillator cam / ported throttle body, intake manifold by CPR tuning by nic D

Last edited by Dexter9522; 05-27-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Dexter9522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #49
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
Seen this a lot..
The roads in your area have a LOT to do with tire wear.. On motorcycle fourms we always had guys complaining about tire wear and others that got 100% more than most..
For example, in PA roads are fairly smooth finish and a rear tire on a Sport bike might last 15k where the same exact tire/bike in NY state might be totally done in 8k.. Road surface is totally different and eats tires!
I accept this to a point.

The roads I travel are crap, a LOT of trucks around where I work as it is an industrial city (hell the name is City of Industry). and the roads are just pure hell..

I can't even drive in the right 3 lanes on the 60 freeway because they are torn up so bad, definitely teeth jarring. Even in my 4x4 truck the ride those lanes is painful.

however roads aren't 100% to blame.

I stand by my statement, that all car manufacturers should put tires on their vehicles designed to last at minimum the length of the warranty, and for vehicles sold as daily drivers there should be a option for all use/season tires.

I get that it is a performance vehicle, but for 90% or more of their buyers it is will never be used in that capacity.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #50
FastGranny

Drives: 45th 2LTRS Vert
My rear P-Zeros are toast at 13,000. I had trouble with the pressures the first few months, but when I switched to nitrogen, the pressures have stayed very consistent.
My daily commute is only 6-7 miles and because I drive in nightmare tourist traffic, I rarely get above 45 mph.
Frustrating... indeed.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #51
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
High Horse Power + Rear wheel drive + staggered tires (no rotation) + High performance Summer rubber = very fast wear. Tread life depends on the driver and what the roads are made of. Some roads are more abrasive. For example in FL they use sea shells in the concrete mix. It helps with wet traction but is harder on tires.

I am not saying you were doing burnouts but you were doing it sounds like you were do some aggressive driving. I understand you are upset with the tire but it's not the tires fault. Just go with a harder compound all season style tire in the future.

It's not realistic to expect tires to last the warranty period on Muscle/Sports cars. I do understand your frustration and if coming from a normal sedan/car i would be shocked by the quick wear also.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #52
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
I just put some ZL1 tires on at 27k mikes, 14k of those miles is with a Whipple, and a fee road coarses. Not smooth bald, but down to the wear bars... Sounds like someone somewhere was doing burnouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #53
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
High Horse Power + Rear wheel drive + staggered tires (no rotation) + High performance Summer rubber = very fast wear. Tread life depends on the driver and what the roads are made of. Some roads are more abrasive. For example in FL they use sea shells in the concrete mix. It helps with wet traction but is harder on tires.

I am not saying you were doing burnouts but you were doing it sounds like you were do some aggressive driving. I understand you are upset with the tire but it's not the tires fault. Just go with a harder compound all season style tire in the future.

It's not realistic to expect tires to last the warranty period on Muscle/Sports cars. I do understand your frustration and if coming from a normal sedan/car i would be shocked by the quick wear also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie454 View Post
I just put some ZL1 tires on at 27k mikes, 14k of those miles is with a Whipple, and a fee road coarses. Not smooth bald, but down to the wear bars... Sounds like someone somewhere was doing burnouts?

no burn outs and no aggressive driving from me..

the car was with the dealer and their outsourced upholstery people for nearly 9 weeks back between Nov and Jan, and they did manage to curb one of my wheels at that time.

but I do not drive aggressive nor do burnouts.. if you knew me you would know.. I am that guy you hate in the right lane doing 55-60 and just cruising, I am never in a hurry to get anywhere.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #54
Jims73z

Drives: 1973 z28 Rs , 2012 SS/Rs Blk/Blk M6
I just turned over 40000 on my original pirellis. Dragstrip 3 times, mountains and mulholland.. Lots of freeway miles but still great for soft tires.

Jims73z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 AM   #55
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
my car is almost 2 years old and its a DD with 56K and my tires are still golden. next year I might switch them up depends how drag season goes. o and no burnouts on these tires either so. your tires might be defective
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote