Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
But the question still stands does it "need" 3 to stay cool due to poor airflow or are they over building it for track days or future blower models?

Correct but those are separate from the radiator and 2 heat exchangers for "just" the coolant. Or have I read it all wrong and those extra 2 are for the oil and trans and gm just connected them all?
Considering some vettes are suffering from trans overheating on the track. I would think this is a good thing.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
Treefrog
U235 is fun!

Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
I remember reading something about the SS having brake cooling ducts?

edit: found it..

"Aerodynamic details include a subtle “air curtain” on the front fascia, which guides air around the wheels rather than into the wheelhouses, reducing drag. Also, the Camaro SS has a unique front fascia with integrated brake cooling ducts and a unique hood with functional air vents, which improve engine cooling and reduce front lift."
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #17
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalmass View Post
Considering some vettes are suffering from trans overheating on the track. I would think this is a good thing.
The three radiators are only for the engine. The Camaro also has additional radiators for the trans and oil coolers.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #18
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The three radiators are only for the engine. The Camaro also has additional radiators for the trans and oil coolers.
OK now that we have that covered let's talk lt4. If its taking "3" radiators to cool a n/a lt1 what would they have to do to cool the lt4? We don't need another heat soak prone "zl1". So are the 3 in place designed to cover the lt4 and be over kill on the lt1 or just enough for the lt1? Thats the BIG question IMO.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #19
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
OK now that we have that covered let's talk lt4. If its taking "3" radiators to cool a n/a lt1 what would they have to do to cool the lt4? We don't need another heat soak prone "zl1". So are the 3 in place designed to cover the lt4 and be over kill on the lt1 or just enough for the lt1? Thats the BIG question IMO.
The part about the LT1 running cooler than they thought tells me there might be some overkill.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
This car is a clean sheet design so it is unlikely this cooling strategy was an afterthought. Sufficient cooling for serious track use was a wish of the Camaro community and a priority for Chevy.

The gen5 1LE handled the new GT PP and Chevy is claiming the SS will run with it. What about cooling for a future LT4? I guarantee it is already designed.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Based on Aaron Link's statement, it sounds like the cooling system is way overbuilt for the LT1 and may be capable of supporting the LT4 already.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #22
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Either it was overbuilt to handle the LT4 or it was overbuilt to make sure it was 100% track capable.

Either way, I think the amount of cooling that has been built into the new Camaro is GM's tacit admission that the LT series and the A8 have had a bit of a overheating issue.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #23
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Either it was overbuilt to handle the LT4 or it was overbuilt to make sure it was 100% track capable.

Either way, I think the amount of cooling that has been built into the new Camaro is GM's tacit admission that the LT series and the A8 have had a bit of a overheating issue.
That's what I'm worried about.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #24
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Based on Aaron Link's statement, it sounds like the cooling system is way overbuilt for the LT1 and may be capable of supporting the LT4 already.
What statement from Aaron?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #25
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
What statement from Aaron?
This is the only one I'm aware of but it's a pretty strong statement.
Quote:
Link was excited to point out the amount of cooling across the board on the 2016 Camaro. The radiator did shrink compared to fifth-gen, but the addition of outboard coolers and a high-powered electric fan in combination with improved airflow resulted in an overall cooling package that’s very efficient. “Water temp on these cars is just phenomenal, we’ve been really pleased.” Even during hard driving, cooling is consistent with “zero spark retard.”
http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-...the-sixth-gen/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote