Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Finally--VMS Stage 2.5 cam Dynojet results, nice gains!

After several scheduling conflicts, I finally got the car on the dyno after more than a month since the cam was installed and I am real pleased! I got the results I was looking for. I took it to my man Thomas at Precision Dyno in Belmont, NC (near Charlotte). The weather was great, cooler and drier than it has been, temps ranging from low 70's through low 80's during tuning. We had a total of 13 runs with my 12th being the best. We did some moderate tuning on it. Below is some background runs from my first dyno numbers through my current so you can see the progression all the way up to the cam dyno tune:

First dyno pull ever 3/19/10 on AWD dyno at 3SX Performance (K&N intake, 3" Magnaflow catback, no tune):

378.3 RWHP
373.5 RWTQ

Dyno run on 5/7/10 on Dynojet dyno at Total Performance (K&N intake, 3" Magnaflow catback, no tune):

376.84 RWHP
367.38 RWTQ
Temp 89F

Best dyno run on 6/26/10 on Dynojet dyno at Total Performance (K&N intake, Doug Thorley 1 3/4" shorty headers, SOLO hiflow cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, HP tune):

404.03 RWHP
393.47 RWTQ
Temp 100.5F

Gain of 27.19 RWHP and 26.09 RWTQ from 5/7/10 Dynojet run

NOW, for today's results: First dyno pull today after warmup 9/4/10 on Dynojet at Precision Dyno (K&N intake, Doug Thorley 1 3/4" shorty headers, SOLO hiflow cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, VMS Stage 2.5 cam kit (LSA Comp Cam 227/239 on 114 .613 .623), no tuning):

423.9 RWHP
404.2 RWTQ
Approx Temp 72F

Gain of 19.87 RWHP and 10.73 RWTQ from previous 6/26/10 dyno run prior to cam.

So after this, we started tuning and doing more runs. I was in the driver's seat which was a blast!! Thomas was tuning on the HP. First main thing was to increase the idle speed, it was idling at 500 rpm. We started high adjusting it to 900 rpm, but was too high, couldn't hear the lope. We ended up bringing it down to 775 rpm and was perfect. We ended up running the a/c later, and ran great, we drove around town, never stalled once. Just the right amount of lope, not shaking nearly as much, alot smoother and sounded awesome (will do a video tomorrow). I couldnt' take but 2 photos and no video since my batteries died in the camera.

Next thing we noticed was that car was running rich. I noticed a stout gas smell after the cam was installed. The a/f mix was at around 11.8. We leaned it out up to 13.8, it didn't really like it and we found the best spot the car liked was around 12.7 to 13.1 a/f ratio. So that's where we kept it.

Next we checked the temps when the coolant fans would come on and adjusted them to come on at 45% power at 175F, up through 90% power at 215F (Thomas, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

We started running into problems hitting the rev and/or speed limiter so we raised the electronic speed limiter to 170 mph. We were getting the car kicking into safe mode after getting the high speed warning and reducing engine power. It would come on right around 6400-6500 rpm. So after that was fixed, we didn't get the dash messages anymore.

Torque management was shut off from before, so no change there.

The last thing was modifying the timing. We started with -2 degrees of timing and the car liked it and responded well. We ended up taking out 1 more degree, total of -3 degrees of timing and that's where we ended up and had our best dyno pull of the day:

450.4 RWHP
422.5 RWTQ
Approx temp 80F

Now based on the actual conditions at that time, it was 460 RWHP (STD), but I know people freak out when you don't use SAE!

That was a gain of and additional 26.5 RWHP and 18.3 RWTQ in just tuning from the first pull earlier in the morning. So overall, from before the cam was installed, we saw gains of 46.37 RWHP and 29.03 RWTQ with the cam tuned! I'm very happy with the numbers. I was hoping for 450 and got it So with an average 15% drivetrain loss considered, I should safely be in the 500 bhp club (~518 hp at the crank and ~486 tq). It's a good feeling.

So with all mods (do not have a run w/o the intake or catback exhaust), based on the 5/7/10 "baseline" dyno, I've seen gains of 73.56 RWHP and 55.12 RWTQ, so likely a few more ponies prior to the intake and exhaust. I can't complain about that!

Overall I'm really happy with the cam tuning results and performance gains. Thanks to Thomas at Precision Dyno for the fantastic tuning job and much thanks to the guys at Vector and Comp Cams.

Now to get to the track and put these numbers to the test!

Graphs are below in chronological order with today's last.
Attached Images

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 09-09-2010 at 04:28 PM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Drives: Anything thats fast
Plus its sounds way better idling after the tune!! I have the same package in mine!
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
Tuned at Vector Motorsports
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.
coptzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
tp_preformance

Drives: 2006 gt500 super snake
We had a great time today we made good power saw a lamb Bo go 249.3mph and had some great tea. And I really appreciate you hanging in there with all the BS I enjoyed doing the car.
tp_preformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Hmmm!.....I was told by 3 different shops that I couldn't hit 450rwhp with a build similar to yours, they all keep trying to talk me into a supercharger that I don't want and would be more money obviously.

Thanks for posting, now I know for sure it can be done!
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
NoMercy

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Congrats!! They couldnt get to mine to tune it today!! Hopefully Monday they say. Ill be sure to post the Dyno results also. Great numbers!
Magnuson TVS 2300, 16% OD rear pullies(stock 3.8 on front jackshaft), Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, patriot gold double springs, Dynatech 1 7/8 Longtube headers, gutted cats, F.A.S.T. 90lb. injectors, Lonnie's double pumper fuel pump, ZR1 Plugs, Airade cai, HP tuned by East Texas Musclecars. 660 rwhp / 611 rwtq
NoMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coptzr View Post
Plus its sounds way better idling after the tune!! I have the same package in mine!
You aren't kidding!! yes, much better. I really like the cam kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevman View Post
Hmmm!.....I was told by 3 different shops that I couldn't hit 450rwhp with a build similar to yours, they all keep trying to talk me into a supercharger that I don't want and would be more money obviously.

Thanks for posting, now I know for sure it can be done!
Well tell those guys that it's definitely possible and there are at least 2 other people on here with the same cam and have over 450! yeah $1K vs. maybe 7-10K on the s/c. I'm planning on staying N/A Just need a good tuning guy who knows what he's doing. good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy View Post
Congrats!! They couldnt get to mine to tune it today!! Hopefully Monday they say. Ill be sure to post the Dyno results also. Great numbers!

Man, I was so glad to finally get it done. Hope you can get yours in monday, you'll be happier I know. look forward to seeing the results. thanks for the praise!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Great numbers
Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
tp_preformance

Drives: 2006 gt500 super snake
Well I had a blast doing it.
tp_preformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Sweet.

Cam, headers, intake, exhaust, tune, 450rwh is perfect.

And I bet that cam and headers REALLY make it sound AWESOME.

Much better then a supercharger only.

NICE.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
topgun1

I did a video today on my crappy digital camera (can't wait for my new video camera for a wedding gift!) with the sound after the cam was tuned. Idling at 775 rpm. Sorry for the cutting in and out when too close to the exhaust pipes. Here are the before and after videos. I kinda like the lope prior to the tune idling at 500 rpm, but was a little too much on the street, engine shook alot, and would stall out. After was smoother and can turn on a/c, take tight turns, come up to stop light, etc. without stalling out. and I like the sound of it better. sounds alot better in person of course.

i'll try a video with my new camera when it comes in. should make a difference.

Before:

After tune:

Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
Sweet.

Cam, headers, intake, exhaust, tune, 450rwh is perfect.

And I bet that cam and headers REALLY make it sound AWESOME.

Much better then a supercharger only.

NICE.

thanks Jeff. Yes, I'm very happy where I am now. Only other power adder I may consider would be a Snow meth-injection kit. Definitely sounds awesome in person, at idle, cruising, and of course at WOT!!

I'll likely never do a s/c. i'm pretty content for now

maybe a turbo down the road
Old 09-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Congrats topgun1! Sounds great, perfect idle and exhaust note! This is the exact setup I will do eventually, no need for a high price s/c when you can get 450 rwhp out of a cam, tune, and some bolt ons! Very cool!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
topgun1

thanks. yes, you should be right close to me with your similar set up if you get a tuned cam!

BTW, my brother-in-law may be purchasing real soon a 2011 2SS/RS RJT with black stripes like yours!! he loves mine and he just sold a truck of his.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
NoMercy

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Did you notice a power increase after tuning for the cam verses just the cam and and no tune.
Magnuson TVS 2300, 16% OD rear pullies(stock 3.8 on front jackshaft), Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, patriot gold double springs, Dynatech 1 7/8 Longtube headers, gutted cats, F.A.S.T. 90lb. injectors, Lonnie's double pumper fuel pump, ZR1 Plugs, Airade cai, HP tuned by East Texas Musclecars. 660 rwhp / 611 rwtq
NoMercy is offline   Reply With Quote