Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
mwayne7571

Drives: White 2lt rs
ClayBar a Must!

OK I have been surfing these forums for about 5-6 months now, And I have learned a lot of things on here. But this is by far the best thing I have learned! I listen to a lot of folks on here talking about Mods! Well this is all good, to each there on right? Well let me tell you if your going to own a car of this caliber you need to Clay it! I just had my done three weeks out of the Dealership. And all I can say is WOW! This is the best decision I have ever made owning a Vehicle. Its so AWESOME I don't have the words except......Just do it!!!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
LOL. Yup. Gets all the nasty off the car w/o a scratch.
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Doing this as soon as I leave work today, going to get it washed (just confirmed there's nowhere for me to do it myself at the apartment complex, ugh), stop by autozone to pick up a clay kit and do it myself when it cools down a bit out there. I can't wait!

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I would suggest the Turtle Wax Ice clay kit. It comes with a liquid clay that is used on step one, and it works great for removing any type of stains.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
Is it okay getting the clay kit from Autozone as opposed to buying the expensive stuff from Adam's?
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Adam's Polishes.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
bthomp01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdapilmoto View Post
Is it okay getting the clay kit from Autozone as opposed to buying the expensive stuff from Adam's?
I'd love to get the adams stuff, but by the time I made the decision to clay this week it would have been too long to wait for delivery. In the maintenance forum there's a list of suggested products and I've heard lots of good things about a few different bar manufacturers. I'll probably just end up going with whatever is recommended, and has the most complete kit (most detail spray, best towel)

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I use ardex detailing chemicals and they sell a real nice clay bar. I recently clayed an entire honda crv that was covered in rust specs from being towed behind an RV. car looked like new once done. it wears your wrists bad when you have a car that needs alot of stuff removed though. carpel tunnel city
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Dasein

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT
Can you clay the stripes? What about washing and waxing? I heard from someone that you need to tape the edges down but idk how accurate that is
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Have any before/after pics?????
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
Can you clay the stripes? What about washing and waxing? I heard from someone that you need to tape the edges down but idk how accurate that is
you could clay glossy stripes but i wouldnt do anything to flat ones
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
bthomp01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
I was told not to clay the stripes, and for taking care of them otherwise I think most people just wash them and leave them alone. I do have flat black stripes though so I don't want them to have a wax or polish sheen to them.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwayne7571 View Post
OK I have been surfing these forums for about 5-6 months now, And I have learned a lot of things on here. But this is by far the best thing I have learned! I listen to a lot of folks on here talking about Mods! Well this is all good, to each there on right? Well let me tell you if your going to own a car of this caliber you need to Clay it! I just had my done three weeks out of the Dealership. And all I can say is WOW! This is the best decision I have ever made owning a Vehicle. Its so AWESOME I don't have the words except......Just do it!!!!!
So, you had the dealership clay your car. Can you tell me what they charged you for the service?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Makes the paint surface feel like smooth glass. A must do prior to polishing/waxing for sure. You don't need the dealer to do it. Takes 1 hour tops to do it on your own.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote