Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
WOW cheap panals near the fuel tank

So I was at the gas station filling up, Im pumping my gas, holding the nozzle with my left hand, facing away from the car, and leaning back on the car like a mini seat (dont worry i had sweat pants on, nothing to scratch it)... i was relaxing because this fuel pump was exceptionally slow, took like 7 minutes to fill up...

so im leaning against hte back part of the side of the car and all of a sudden the panel bends inward, i feel it in my ass (no pun intended) and i immediatly jump up off it ... i was in disbelief thinking i was day dreaming, so i lean against it again with slight pressure and it dips in again and snaps back to normal.... it didnt damage it in anyway, looks fine, no wrinkle, but WHAT THE HELL????????????? im only 200lbs and 6'3... is this really made that cheap in that part that the panal will fold in under such little pressure? i wasnt even putting a 1/5 of my body weight on it

has this happened to anyone else?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
i did the same thing, my elbow even made the part where the concept filler was bend. I felt like i was leaning on a honda. Lol never again.
You know what im talking about right, the part where the concept filler was originally? that dam part bended down with just my elbow.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
Rocky, I'm real sorry you've had such a bad experience with your car so far. The scratched rim at the automated car wash, young people not staring at your awsome ride and now thin body panels........:(

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
in all honesty though, what are you expecting? those panels are made to be cheap to replace and cheap to manufacture...

not for leaning on. you want something to lean on, go find a car that was made back in the 70's.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE U NV View Post
Rocky, I'm real sorry you've had such a bad experience with your car so far. The scratched rim at the automated car wash, young people not staring at your awsome ride and now thin body panels........:(
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
guys, you dont need to get rude, i can lean on my brothers mustang or my fusion and none of the panels bend. Dont start chirping the mustang either. Camaro is a great car, but not one i would lean on.
Try touching the bumper with your finger, the whole thing bends lol Top Gear joked aabout that with the vette
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I would suggest you go to your Chevy dealer, your Buick-GMC dealer, your Cadillac dealer, your Ford dealer, your CJD dealer, your toyota dealer, and push on the panels of any of the cars...and I'm sure you'll find at least one panel on each car that does exactly that.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
guys, you dont need to get rude, i can lean on my brothers mustang or my fusion and none of the panels bend. Dont start chirping the mustang either. Camaro is a great car, but not one i would lean on.
Try touching the bumper with your finger, the whole thing bends lol Top Gear joked aabout that with the vette
haha i was actually about to say that i hope top gear doesnt notice this if they ever test it
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Ghost Rider
I'm one bad Mamma Jamma

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I must confess to the same experience. I was washing my Camaro and leaned on the "shoulder" as I bent down to wash the rear wheel and felt it give. No damage done. Who knew.

DELIVERED on August 25, 2009- 2010 2SS/RS, Yellow, A6, VIN # 34902

DELIVERED on September 9, 2009 -Custom Bumblebee Stripes and engine cover.

DELIVERED on September 10, 2009 - Painted GFX
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
That's your federal safety standards at work. Welcome to the world of "front and rear crumple zones"

Seriously. Most any car today has soft metal panels designed with impact absorbtion as the main function. They will flex quite a bit if you just push them with a moderate amount of force.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
in all honesty though, what are you expecting? those panels are made to be cheap to replace and cheap to manufacture...

not for leaning on. you want something to lean on, go find a car that was made back in the 70's.

It's just a body. A cosmetic shroud to look good over a high performance chasis. You see it rippling in the wind, then you got a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I would suggest you go to your Chevy dealer, your Buick-GMC dealer, your Cadillac dealer, your Ford dealer, your CJD dealer, your toyota dealer, and push on the panels of any of the cars...and I'm sure you'll find at least one panel on each car that does exactly that.

Some designs won't as badly and some will even worse.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
No way, I LOVEEEEE my car with a passion... I scratched rims are just bad luck, lesson learned the hard way.... idc if people dont look, i was just a little suprised, it looks awesom to me and thats what matters... and i just didnt know the panels were so thin, excuse me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Seriously. Most any car today has soft metal panels designed with impact absorbtion as the main function. They will flex quite a bit if you just push them with a moderate amount of force.
I had no idea about this, my old benz never flexed in once.... ive filled up many other cars as well and also leaned on a bunch of my friends cars over the years (only wihtout jeans or a belt) and I have never had the car bend inward like that in my life... it was a new experience... so once again... EXCUSEEEE ME, i didnt know... no need to be dicks about it for the other people who were
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
My dads 05 ram is the same way.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post
No way, I LOVEEEEE my car with a passion... I scratched rims are just bad luck, lesson learned the hard way.... idc if people dont look, i was just a little suprised, it looks awesom to me and thats what matters... and i just didnt know the panels were so thin, excuse me

I had no idea about this, my old benz never flexed in once.... ive filled up many other cars as well and also leaned on a bunch of my friends cars over the years (only wihtout jeans or a belt) and I have never had the car bend inward like that in my life... it was a new experience... so once again... EXCUSEEEE ME, i didnt know... no need to be dicks about it for the other people who were
It's all good. No one is being a dick. Some just don't use smilies much.