Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #155
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
I was told the same thing here in Cali by my dealership. I could take the car home for 3 days if I didnt like it return it, but i figured their was a catch to it.

I just think people need to really make sure its the car they want before doing the 3 day thing. Not sure why a dealership would offer that anyways if it doesnt pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Way to stick to your guns Deathmore. I'd rather be on the side of righteousness than be the guy who settles.

As to the folks who still say there is a 3 day law, link me. Show me where that's in writing on any government site.
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #156
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
If this is the worst thing that ever happened to the OP

he should be thanking god, not bitching on this thread.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #157
Buzman

Drives: 2010 LS Summit White
Good advice here:
Buzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #158
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
he should be thanking god, not bitching on this thread.
I don't think the OP was bitching as much as he was asking for some advice from others who may be older and wiser than he at 21 years old. I wish I would have had place like this forum to ask for advice when I was his age. My parents were not of much help as they were very unworldly on things like this and were themselves likely to be a victim of slimy salesmen. Remember the big bad world is still all shiny and new to him and he has plenty of time to catch up to the rest of us accumulating bad experiences.

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #159
Deathmore

Drives: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I don't think the OP was bitching as much as he was asking for some advice from others who may be older and wiser than he at 21 years old. I wish I would have had place like this forum to ask for advice when I was his age. My parents were not of much help as they were very unworldly on things like this and were themselves likely to be a victim of slimy salesmen. Remember the big bad world is still all shiny and new to him and he has plenty of time to catch up to the rest of us accumulating bad experiences.
This is true. I didn't make the thread to bitch. I was honestly at a loss of what to do, and figured what better place to ask then a forum full of people who have already done it. I really don't have anybody else to go to for advice on the matter. My family isn't exactly rich, and I am the first one to buy a car worth more then about $10,000 so they don't exactly know what to do on the matter either.

Also to everyone who says I should have taken the deal offered by the owner. From a strictly financial standpoint I definitely should have. However for me it's not about the money at this point. As I said my family was never that we'll off, and my dad got sick when I was really young, so I was raised to appreciate what I had. Ive been broke before and I'll probably be broke again at some point, but I try my best to treat people right, and that's how I want to be treated.

If I would have taken the deal I might have saved a couple thousand dollars, which would be great. But I feel like if I did the dealer would have never been able to understand the gravity of the situation. The bottom line is no matter how much money it's over you shouldn't treat people like s**t. I can always make more money, you can't always take back how you treat someone.
Deathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #160
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Looking for advice from someone older and experienced, so here it goes (I'm 51, bought and sold many cars in my life and learned some lessons). The dealer does not care whether he sold you a car or not. Even though the manager sat down with you and listened to your story, it doesn't matter, he will sell that car to someone else. As long as it is a car where there is a market for it, they won't care, principles or not. If it was a vehicle that no one wanted and they were having a hard time selling, then he might care a little. The fact is it just doesn't matter. He may have reemed out the sales guy in front of you and that may be valid as he doesn't want his people being jerks, but that guy will still have a job there.

I applaud the fact you have principles and you stuck by them, but in this case it just isn't going to matter one way or the other, its the unfortunate truth. Especially when you live in a large city, someone else will come along and buy the car. You have a good outlook, if you look out five years from now that couple of thousand bucks more you spend to buy a car from someone else really won't matter.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #161
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmore View Post
This is true. I didn't make the thread to bitch. I was honestly at a loss of what to do, and figured what better place to ask then a forum full of people who have already done it. I really don't have anybody else to go to for advice on the matter. My family isn't exactly rich, and I am the first one to buy a car worth more then about $10,000 so they don't exactly know what to do on the matter either.

Also to everyone who says I should have taken the deal offered by the owner. From a strictly financial standpoint I definitely should have. However for me it's not about the money at this point. As I said my family was never that we'll off, and my dad got sick when I was really young, so I was raised to appreciate what I had. Ive been broke before and I'll probably be broke again at some point, but I try my best to treat people right, and that's how I want to be treated.

If I would have taken the deal I might have saved a couple thousand dollars, which would be great. But I feel like if I did the dealer would have never been able to understand the gravity of the situation. The bottom line is no matter how much money it's over you shouldn't treat people like s**t. I can always make more money, you can't always take back how you treat someone.
I couldn't agree more! How have things played out so far, have you decided what to do with the Credit Card?
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #162
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
How long does the Buyers Remorse Law last?
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #163
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Another reason not to play games just call Becky D at Rodgers Chevrolet

Glad this worked out for the OP but the question is are you going to still buy a Camaro or go a different direction.
+1k for Becky!

Quote:
Deathmore, I worked in sales at a previous job, and losing an actual sale was what drove the entire organization - at the expense of every other managed & required thing - resulting in major problems. I commend the owner for respecting your principles, offering alternatives, and letting you go on your way, and you for your fortitude. Also the main reason I left to go work somewhere I could be happy, where sales are still very important but not at the expense of customers, or even the employees well-being!

Imvvho, you did the right thing. Also since you live so close to your job (wish I did!), you have a great idea to wait it out before getting your next car. Good luck!!

P.S. if it matters, I'm 51 but it still feels like I'm 21 sometimes. :-)
Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #164
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
Death, I've been following this with great interest. I have to tell you I think you did the right thing.

I'm 54 years old so I've bought quite a few cars over the years. I also worked as a GM Tech for ten years and my wife worked in the business offices of several Chevrolet dealers so we have a bit of insight on how things work, both good and bad, at dealers.

I used to think buying a new car was one of the most exciting things to do. I mean, really, a brand new car, maybe right off the showroom floor, what could be more exciting? Over the years I have come to look at buying cars more as a pain in the butt than a joy. Not that the prospect of getting a new car is not exciting but once you've been through the ringer a few times having to fend off the finance department's barrage it really takes the fun out of it for me.

Don't get me wrong... I have had some good buying experiences but they are not the norm. I think even the good salesmen and good finance guys/gals fight back their instincts to stick it to you so they can make more money. It's definitely an adversarial system... the more money they make the more you get screwed. It sucks but that's how it is.

Again, I commend you on your handling of this bad experience. I don't think I would have been as mature about it as you have been at 21 years of age.
I agree, too.

I think the best lesson that the buyer learned is about the difference between wanting something and needing something.

If you don't need it, and the conditions don't seem right to you, it doesn't hurt to walk away.

Even better, and hopefully next time, go into the dealer knowing what you are willing to pay, and having checked out some other financing options.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #165
Deathmore

Drives: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
I couldn't agree more! How have things played out so far, have you decided what to do with the Credit Card?
I guess I'm do for a little mini update to everyone.

I have decided to wait, save some more money, and try to build my credit up for at least a few months. I applied for a Chase Freedom card the other day, and am waiting to see if I get approved. If that doesn't work I will just get a secure credit card at my bank.

I think I might even wait to see what the new mustang, and the new SRT Baracudda will look like. Although I hate the current mustang im not going to count out the new one until I see it. Who knows maybe we will even get some previews of the 6th gen Camaro by then. I will also however be keeping my eye out for a good deal on another used SS. I actually made $4,000 when I totaled my first Camaro because I got such a good deal when I bought it.
Deathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #166
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
I guess I'm do for a little mini update to everyone.

I have decided to wait, save some more money, and try to build my credit up for at least a few months. I applied for a Chase Freedom card the other day, and am waiting to see if I get approved. If that doesn't work I will just get a secure credit card at my bank.

I think I might even wait to see what the new mustang, and the new SRT Baracudda will look like. Although I hate the current mustang im not going to count out the new one until I see it. Who knows maybe we will even get some previews of the 6th gen Camaro by then. I will also however be keeping my eye out for a good deal on another used SS. I actually made $4,000 when I totaled my first Camaro because I got such a good deal when I bought it.
Now that's using your noggin! Good idea to wait it out... and the credit card choice was the right one IMHO! Let me know if it didn't work out, I have another option. Good luck!
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #167
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I had a very similar experience as the OP. Maxie Price Chevrolet made me sit there and haggle for 6 hours - all because there was a door ding in the passenger door. They finally just straight up told me they were NOT going to fix the door ding. Not under any circumstances. They were ready for me to walk. I bought the car. If I knew the door ding was all that was holding us up, I would have told them not to worry about it.

There's no such thing as a positive experience at a Chevy dealer. I mean, I had complete approval, interest rate, and payments set up over the phone. I drove eight hours, got a hotel, and the next day when I walked in they didn't even know who I was. They said the guy I "claimed" I talked to was not there that day. So all the financing we had worked on was irrelevant. My plan had been to walk in, sign the terms, and drive away.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #168
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post

There's no such thing as a positive experience at a Chevy dealer.
Bad broad generalization....

I had never been to this dealership or bought a chevy before. 2 hours after walking in and telling the SM that I wanted a 2SS, they gave me clean auction money on my modded trade in, financed the difference with an outside credit union at slight above prime, found the car at another store 7 mile away and wrote it at invoice without dealer add-ons...I drove home happy.

There are good dealers and bad dealers, just like customers....

The Dealer is Lou Bachrodt Chev in Pompano Beach, Fl
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote