Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #71
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
I think the safest, at least, would be the that L92, then GM wouldnt have to do a whole lot of designing to slip in a new Z-28 only motor. Cant we hire a spy or something??

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #72
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm sure it'll either be a Gen IV (i.e. LS3-based) or Gen V. I remember seeing images of a 6.2L L92 head a few years ago that had a DI injector in the combustion chamber, and with all the DI engines there are out there now, I could definately see that by the time Z28 returns. I think a 4.XL engine may just be a bit too small for a serious performance Camaro because of the "lack" of torque. I was reading a 1st Gen Camaro reference book last night (because I was curious where the Hell I came up with the LS6 454 possibly being available, COPO-style, in a '69) and saw some track numbers for the DZ Z28. To say the lack-luster 15-second 1320' time was a little slow is an understatement, but that dang thing trapped at 101 MPH at the end of the 1320'! All horsepower, and not a lot of low-end torque... It's not a great analogy, but that's kinda' what I'm seeing in my mellon. VVT would be great in any engine though, if you ask me
Better ETs from back in the day aren't hard to find, Hot Rod magazine's test of a '69 DZ302 in Jan. of '69 was 14.34/101.35. And that was a bone stock single 4v Holley. Typical little mods made by owners also improved things easily, the standard single point distributor was often replaced with a Delco-Remy dual point distributor made for the Vette, carb re-jetting, less restrictive exhaust (unless you already had the factory chambered exhaust), lots of little things could be done to help that DZ302. To add a little perspective, in May '69 Car Life tested a Camaro SS 396cid/375 HP at 14.77/98.72.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 09-24-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: text addition
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #73
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Definitely the LSA, which is great so long as this car does not weigh more than 4000
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #74
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Better ETs from back in the day aren't hard to find, Hot Rod magazine's test of a '69 DZ302 in Jan. of '69 was 14.34/101.35. And that was a bone stock single 4v Holley. Typical little mods made by owners also improved things easily, the standard single point distributor was often replaced with a Delco-Remy dual point distributor made for the Vette, carb re-jetting, less restrictive exhaust (unless you already had the factory chambered exhaust), lots of little things could be done to help that DZ302. To add a little perspective, in May '69 Car Life tested a Camaro SS 396cid/375 HP at 14.77/98.72.
Clyde
Would the Cross-Ram and headers in the trunk still be considered "factory" parts even though the dealer installed them? After seeing that 396 (?L78?) time, that little 302 didn't do so bad after all I have a neighbor, that I just happened to stumble across, that has a '67 or '68 Z28, and though it has a 383 now, he said it ran REALLY good back in the day with the 302 (1320').

Good stuff. Thanks Clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Definitely the LSA, which is great so long as this car does not weigh more than 4000
... I wish

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #75
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
it should come with a gold chain...

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #76
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Think of it this way, there are "other" cars out there that weigh more. But on the flip side there are others that weigh less Lets hope GM gives her some CTS-V leggs to help it out.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #77
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
People can dog it all they want i still preffer the LS7. First its a 505hp engine, the lowest of the three but easily can be bumped above 560hp with just cam and heads, also i preffer an all motor car over a supercharged car its just that much more impressive, on top of that the LS7 is built with a lot more durable materials than the LSA, and last but not least, how f*ckin cool would it be to be able to say "yeah, my Z/28 came stock with a 427" ^_^ Im just not a fan of the LSA, its just a de-tuned LS9 with cheaper parts, so i say why half-ass it ya know?

If not the LS7 or the LS9 then i say GM develope an entirely new engine for the Z/28, a lighter, higher revving, higher output version of the LS3 with more durable parts, that'd be pretty awsome to have a Z/28 specific engine like the Z/28s of yore haha...also they should put an emphasis on building the Z with lighter parts, shave as much as you can by using the lightest materials possible while keeping it extremely durable, i think we can all agree to that yeah?
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #78
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
People can dog it all they want i still preffer the LS7. First its a 505hp engine, the lowest of the three but easily can be bumped above 560hp with just cam and heads, also i preffer an all motor car over a supercharged car its just that much more impressive, on top of that the LS7 is built with a lot more durable materials than the LSA, and last but not least, how f*ckin cool would it be to be able to say "yeah, my Z/28 came stock with a 427" ^_^ Im just not a fan of the LSA, its just a de-tuned LS9 with cheaper parts, so i say why half-ass it ya know?

If not the LS7 or the LS9 then i say GM develope an entirely new engine for the Z/28, a lighter, higher revving, higher output version of the LS3 with more durable parts, that'd be pretty awsome to have a Z/28 specific engine like the Z/28s of yore haha...also they should put an emphasis on building the Z with lighter parts, shave as much as you can by using the lightest materials possible while keeping it extremely durable, i think we can all agree to that yeah?
How's that LS7 going to do emissions and fuel economy-wise? I believe LS7 does have better economy than LS9, but LS9 has more than 120 horses on top of LS7. LS7 heads are already CNC'd and flow like 360+ cfm at like .600" lift. This side of going with some canted valve ETPs or something, I'm not sure there's going to be many more cylinder heads that would even compare to those ETPs; and they look like they need cams with .700" of lift in order to take advantage of their design and probably just as radical duration, and that probably won't fall in-line with smog regulations, let alone the drivability/pleasability standards GM sticks to for their prospective 'Vette drivers. I believe even the 6-bolt GMPP heads they use on the LSX454 are based right off of LS7 heads. I'm sorry - it's strictly my opinion that GM can not make a 427 Gen IV that would be of comparable performance to LSA, not to mention cost. I wish they could, but I think Z06 is the last big-displacement car we're going to see in a car from GM. There are too many more advancements with DI and FI on smaller engines that do at least as good a job as a big displacement engine.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #79
Vega

Yeah i didnt even think about emissions and stuff, idk its just my prefference of N/A cars speaking mostly :P

How about a new Z/28 specific engine? A smaller displacement, higher revving engine than the LS3 which would also help on weight savings and give a nice throwback to the old Z/28s (thats another thing i didnt take into account, weight of the LS7 verses weight of the LSA)

In the end all LS engines are true marvels of modern engineering anyways xD
Old 09-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #80
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Yeah i didnt even think about emissions and stuff, idk its just my prefference of N/A cars speaking mostly :P

How about a new Z/28 specific engine? A smaller displacement, higher revving engine than the LS3 which would also help on weight savings and give a nice throwback to the old Z/28s (thats another thing i didnt take into account, weight of the LS7 verses weight of the LSA)

In the end all LS engines are true marvels of modern engineering anyways xD
I TOTALLY hear you on the emissions/economy BS I love how LS7s sound. It'd be cool if we didn't have to worry about that crap and just drop a 620+ horse' LS7 in Z28 and have Ford put that in their pipe

I'm all for a specific engine. I just want the performance of LSA/LS9 Okay - I'd prefer a V8, but won't cry too lound

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #81
Vega

haha yeah, i think itd be great to have all the old principles of the Z/28 back, the lighter higher revving engine with major emphasis on weight and handling, which would make a Z/28 specific engine amazing...i just doubt GM would put the time and money into it just to have it in one trim level of one car in their whole fleet =/ laaame lol

the LS7 is my favorite of the three proposed but id be in favor of any of the three, especially if it keeps costs down id like to see weight comparisons for all three engines
Old 09-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #82
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yeah - I bet that LS7 is mid-400s, and isn't LSA like 550, and I bet LS9 is closer to 600 with that bigger SC and such.

What happened to the "Good 'old days" I've read/heard so much about, lol

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #83
Vega

haha ohhh yes, the old 302s in the 69' Z/28s were reported to get around 450hp from customer experience (GM rated at around 290hp LOL)...hmm, now im interested, i gotta find these weight comparisons xD
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #84
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
haha ohhh yes, the old 302s in the 69' Z/28s were reported to get around 450hp from customer experience (GM rated at around 290hp LOL)...hmm, now im interested, i gotta find these weight comparisons xD
One of Chevy's own dyno tests for their 302 Z/28 engine dated 8/2/67 showed a single four barrel version with 440 HP @ 7400 RPM and the two four barrel version with 468 HP @ 7400 RPM, the fuel injection version (which was never put into production) was 470 HP @ 7400 RPM. According to the data sheets accompanying these tests, they were using Traco Racing prepared heads rather than the stock heads, otherwise the engines appeared to be stock.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote