Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I want a new clutch, you too????? Sign here

It may not be too much to ask, I went to the camarofest, and on my first and only run down the drag strip, my camaro embarrased me. I had turned off the competition mode and the traction control. I did a fairly agressive launch, thought my wheels were spinning for the first 25 feet. I looked down and saw my clutch pedal was stuck half way down. I let off the gas and cycled the clutch petal and it returned to normal and I finished the run but I was not about to try it again. I have never been tough on my Camaro and have never tried a aggressive launch before, I like to take care of my baby and make the tires last. My clutch is now rough feeling when I start out easy now. It occured to me on the way home, what if an emergency situation came up and you needed to get out of the way quickly from a dead stop???? I am home now, in my garage I can still smell my stinky clutch. I am going to the dealer on Monday to see if I can't get a decent replacement. :(

April 23,2010
AS Requested: Rather than hunt through pages of posts trying to find what you need to do if you have experienced a half engaged clutch pedal, I will post it right here.

#1 Go to your dealer and get them to acess your car.

#2 If they are going to remedy the problem, it will be using a new redesigned pressure plate kit, part # 24255748. This will be the clutch and the pressure plate. That is the part number you will want to see that is being installed.

#3 Time is of the essence, you need to take care of this ASAP. I have heard a cut off warranty for a clutch is 10,000 miles, I also heard 12,000. I don't know which is correct, but you need to get your car to the dealer.

Note: my car had 3000 miles when I took mine in, they checked the ECM, looked for intentional abuse (worn tires, rubber in the wheelwells) they looked at remaing clutch thickness, major modifications. All this went into play before GM agreed to warrant the issue. The dealer service tech noted my flywheel showed traces of blue and replaced that as well. My Camaro clutch pedal feels stiffer now and clutch engagement is positive. Is it fixed???? I can only say it feels good starting off easy and getting on it in later gears. A semi agressive launch... I have not tried it yet, I want it broke in somewhat before I do. But when I do, I will post it here, fingers crossed..... Post 51 had some good info too. TJ http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=78079&page=3

July28th,2010
With 500 easy miles on the new pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel I deceided
to give it a go.... Traction and stability off, I launched from a stand still only to see the pedal stick near the floor, this time I was ready and watching and quickly got off the gas, cycled the clutch and it popped back up. I took it to the dealer service dept. They say it needs a slave/ master brake cylinder, parts on order. To be continued....

Aug 20th, 2010
Back out of the shop today!!!!!

They replaced the clutch slave cylinder/ brake reservoir cylinder and the clutch actuator. On the way home, I had to know, will it take off semi aggressive????
I stopped on a section of 2 lane with no one in sight, reved up slighty above normal and eased the clutch out. Barked both tires and it launched thru a couple gears just like I expect it to. No sticking clutch pedal and thats all I really care about, should be a done deal with my issue. The clutch pedal tension is much greater than I have ever experienced before. Thanks to GM and my dealer service dept to make my Camaro take off like a high performance car should.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F

Last edited by tjbusa; 09-29-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: updated
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
How long did you stage it for or you thought you staged it for?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

It only took about 20-30 seconds for both lanes to prestage and stage. Once we got the green, it took me 1 1/2 to 2 seconds that yes I am slowly moving forward not because of wheel spin but a half engaged clutch petal. If I had stayed on the gas, it would have came apart and I'd be riding in a tow truck. Maybe this is an isolated incident and my car just had a bad clutch.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Many threads on this issue :( Join the group! Taking mine in to have them go through the clutch ;(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I replaced my clutch with the LPE dual disc ZR-1...

Well worth the money.

All the dealer will do is put another sorry ass stock replacement in there.. You can go through a bunch of free ones, having the dealer take it apart over and over, or just buy a QUALITY built clutch and have it installed.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

I will see if my dealer won't let me upgrade to a zr-1 clutch and I will pay the difference. A high performance division camaro should be able to take off aggressively when asked without making a stink about it.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Damn TJ......I remember you tellin me about that. Good luck at the dealer's.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
This happened to several cars on Saturday. One guy from New York had ot be towed off the track. Smoked it at the staging line and about 1/4 the way down the track before the car stopped. I saw him being towed back to paddock by the 4 wheeler... the driver and his wife did not look too happy.

I also heard of a few axels snapping.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
the 90% of the time i see that on the track or in my personal experience is because of owner error.

- You slipped the clutch a bit TOO MUCH or a bit TOO SLOW...

and well, you like it or not, you have to take care of your clutch/brake fluid...
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
This happened to several cars on Saturday. One guy from New York had ot be towed off the track. Smoked it at the staging line and about 1/4 the way down the track before the car stopped. I saw him being towed back to paddock by the 4 wheeler... the driver and his wife did not look too happy.

yeah... i saw that one. i felt so bad for the guy after watching him roast the clutch twice in the burnout box instead of his tires
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
OldSchoolCamaro
Living the American Dream

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS Rally Yellow
Just returned from C5 Fest and dropped my car back off at the dealership to get my clutch replaced. Car was there before the fest and they let me take it since they didn't want to tear it down before I left and not get it back together. Clutch stuck for me again when we were doing the cruise. Lot's of orange smoke and burning smell.

As for the high performance clutch, my dealer said one was not available for my car and if there was, they would not put one in on a warranty replacement due to the GM rules. I am going to let them put in the replacement stock one and next time I will go aftermarket unless there is a service bulletin with some new replacement part that is much improved.

C5 Indiana Camaro Club

Central Indiana Camaro Club

OldSchoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Vinz68

Drives: 68,69,72&10 Camaro's 12 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post

That was me!! LOL Thank God I took the truck and trailer down....
Old 04-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
rickjames

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
It only took about 20-30 seconds for both lanes to prestage and stage. Once we got the green, it took me 1 1/2 to 2 seconds that yes I am slowly moving forward not because of wheel spin but a half engaged clutch petal. If I had stayed on the gas, it would have came apart and I'd be riding in a tow truck. Maybe this is an isolated incident and my car just had a bad clutch.
Same thing happened to me at the track.
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Just an FYI, the factory ZR1 clutch will not bolt up to your car and the dealer wouldn't do it even if it would. The LPE clutch is custom made with ZR1 pieces but it isn't all factory stuff.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote