Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
Sanouk

Drives: all US
Bankruptcy !!

It remains to be seen which scenario will play out, but it sounds as if two of the three big U.S. automakers could be filing for bankruptcy protection within the next few weeks.

http://www.leftlanenews.com

Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Sanouk

General Motors may be strongly opposed to a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, but the U.S. Treasury Department could be planning to force their hand in the matter. Per a new report, the Treasury Department is readying a $40 billion financing package, should either of the Detroit automakers file for bankruptcy protection.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
War Eagle

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, Avanti, 2010 GT500
The only reason it has not already happened is that Congress has been preventing it from happening. Congress and the Obama administration were supported by the UAW and helped get them elected. The word is that the Obama administration would like to see it happen but cannot appear to eager to sell out the union. Obama knows that a major restructure beyond the current plan is needed. There are a lot of backroom politics going on right now and the decision to declare chapter 11 no longer rests with the GM board.

Congress and the Administration do not want to see the large job losses that will occur but may be inevitable.

What you will see shortly is indeed a version of Chapter 11 with the Government forcing one of the large Banks to provide the debtor financing with US backed guarantees. The tax payer will still be on the hook but they will have put lipstick on the pig.

Steve

Back in a Chevelle after 41 years.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Sanouk

It is the worse in Belgium
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
The only reason it has not already happened is that Congress has been preventing it from happening. Congress and the Obama administration were supported by the UAW and helped get them elected. The word is that the Obama administration would like to see it happen but cannot appear to eager to sell out the union. Obama knows that a major restructure beyond the current plan is needed. There are a lot of backroom politics going on right now and the decision to declare chapter 11 no longer rests with the GM board.

Congress and the Administration do not want to see the large job losses that will occur but may be inevitable.

What you will see shortly is indeed a version of Chapter 11 with the Government forcing one of the large Banks to provide the debtor financing with US backed guarantees. The tax payer will still be on the hook but they will have put lipstick on the pig.

Steve
This is 100% accurate.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Oh noes, taking the middle-ground in the political spectrum is suddenly a backroom shady deal.. Yeesh. Is there anyone left there that has the balls to pull the trigger already?

And by that say: Fkk it, you, bank.. front the loan. You, useless ancillary 19 year old UAW guy, take the cut and go find a job at that Toyota plant. Wait, they have the same fringes as GM? Well that's the point now, so go to college if you want a real job. There GM/Chrysler. Go make some money, you're welcome..~

I know the above was harsh, and I do not mean to offend those that work in the auto industry, but someone has to take the ole yeller system out back and shoot it. This is just getting too re-GD-diculous to even be sane anymore.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
This is why I went ahead and ordered my car. Anything is possible. I think if they do even more restructuring and it gets really radical, Camaro may still be safe but to be safe I just wanted to be assured of getting one. Where there is a dollar to be made, there will be someone there to make it. Parts may become expensive but so be it.

No easy answers. Someones gonna get the short end of the stick. I'm in favor of whichever decision would minimize the pain for the masses. What that is is debateable. I seem to be of the minority opinion so.........
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
This is why I went ahead and ordered my car. Anything is possible. I think if they do even more restructuring and it gets really radical, Camaro may still be safe but to be safe I just wanted to be assured of getting one. Where there is a dollar to be made, there will be someone there to make it. Parts may become expensive but so be it.

No easy answers. Someones gonna get the short end of the stick. I'm in favor of whichever decision would minimize the pain for the masses. What that is is debateable. I seem to be of the minority opinion so.........
Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
The ones being shafted right now are those who saved their money and spent responsibly. As a fan of General Motors, I'm happy they are being saved; as a taxpayer, I'm pissed at the whole country.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
The ones being shafted right now are those who saved their money and spent responsibly. As a fan of General Motors, I'm happy they are being saved; as a taxpayer, I'm pissed at the whole country.
You got that right!
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Why? Because they are not buying GM? Want to put a gun to their head and force them to buy GM?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Keedy
Should have waited...

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX8
Ahh the interwebs... the only place in the world where people miss each others points so hard you hear an audible bang from the post hitting the forum instead of its target.

It almost seems like you have to try to miss a point by that far.
Keedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
GM posts a net 9bil loss in Q4 and burns through their "worst case scenario" loans in less than 3 months. It's time to end this. They have not posted a profit in 4 years.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
GM posts a net 9bil loss in Q4 and burns through their "worst case scenario" loans in less than 3 months. It's time to end this. They have not posted a profit in 4 years.
http://jalopnik.com/tag/gm-bankruptcy/?id=5160704

hellooooo mr. bankruptcy!
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote