Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #127
Mistah SS

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Ive been disconnecting the power cable from the light every time i know i wont be using the car for a few days, and it seems to keep my battery from dying on me.

Maybe i can route a switch so i can cut power to the lights from the cabin.
I was thinking about something like this but if you forget to reconnect or flip the switch, you may be asking for major problems on the street.

I was considering a relay that would allow the lights to have power when the key is in the run position but we may lose our hazard lghts. Another relay or manual switch(es) could bypass the relay when you want the show mode to work. Our cars most likely have spare locations and wiring for relays already.

There's a way I can work around this but I'm not willing to gut my new car to do it yet.
Mistah SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #128
midniteoiler

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Same thing here installed mine two years ago first winter parking car drained battery, had dealer to check drain system, couldn't find where the draw was coming from, I put switch on mine for show mode, but still drains battery, so put battery tender on this year so far so good
midniteoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #129
midniteoiler

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekow View Post
Definitely ironic. I was thinking about hooking it up to a charger, but will probably jump charge it the day I get the OEM lights back on. Sad though... I even spray tinted the Technostalgia lights.
Add me to that list don't know much about copying and pasteing thanks
midniteoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #130
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteoiler View Post
Same thing here installed mine two years ago first winter parking car drained battery, had dealer to check drain system, couldn't find where the draw was coming from, I put switch on mine for show mode, but still drains battery, so put battery tender on this year so far so good
Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteoiler View Post
Add me to that list don't know much about copying and pasteing thanks
Thanks for posting your experience. I'll add you to the list in my first post of this thread.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #131
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah SS View Post
I was thinking about something like this but if you forget to reconnect or flip the switch, you may be asking for major problems on the street.

I thought about that, but i think the DIC will bring up a warning message as soon as you press the brake pedal.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #132
bpoole38
voodoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2LT RS
I have experience this problem twice. The first time was about 4 months after install. The second time about one month after the first time. The car was not driven for about 10 days prior to the second occurence. The symptoms are exactly as all have explained in this thread. I don't use the "show mode" and the purple wire is isolated. Just wondering about connecting it to +V instead of just "floating". Add me to the list.

1.) TCAT
2.) Christianmotox
3.) Tom D
4.) KARLOR
5.) SSMOKN
6.) FOXCARLO
7.) ZL600 FK
8.) Ekow
9.) freefallin2005
10.) Cmlloveless
11.) Camaroowner77
12.) Frankbarb
13.) Midniteoiler
14.) bpoole38

Anybody have a solution?
K&N Cold Air Intake (performance), Corsa Cat Back Exhaust (performance), VMAX Ported Throttle Body (performance), VMAX Black Ice-olator (performance), Elite Catch Can (long term performance), Blacked out Chevy Bowties and Badges (cosmetic), Oracle Concept LED side markers (cosmetic), Oracle Concept side mirrors with LEDs (cosmetic), Technostalgia LED Tail lights (cosmetic), Foose Legend wheels (cosmetic), 35% window tint (cosmetic), dirty (cosmetic)
bpoole38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #133
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Switch for power lead

I am absolutely crazy about these lights. I will put a "tender" on it OR do the power lead switch deal to keep them. Most likely a power lead switch deal would be best that would cycle on with the ignition switch. There might be something you could tee off in the fusebox maybe! Hey guys, it's custom...get use to it. These lights are worth the little extra care!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #134
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoole38 View Post
I have experience this problem twice. The first time was about 4 months after install. The second time about one month after the first time. The car was not driven for about 10 days prior to the second occurence. The symptoms are exactly as all have explained in this thread. I don't use the "show mode" and the purple wire is isolated. Just wondering about connecting it to +V instead of just "floating". Add me to the list.

1.) TCAT
2.) Christianmotox
3.) Tom D
4.) KARLOR
5.) SSMOKN
6.) FOXCARLO
7.) ZL600 FK
8.) Ekow
9.) freefallin2005
10.) Cmlloveless
11.) Camaroowner77
12.) Frankbarb
13.) Midniteoiler
14.) bpoole38

Anybody have a solution?
I'm sorry to hear about that bpoole38. It looks like this is a more common issue than anyone likely thought. I'll definitely add you to the list, thanks.

So far, I don't think anyone has found a solution to the actual problem. We have all had to work around the issue for the time being like disconnect the negative terminal from the battery post when the car is not going to be driven for a while, or we need to get a battery charger/tender connected. Otherwise, removing the lights and replacing them with the OEM is the best bet. However, what I really want to know is the source of the issue we all have. There has to be something in the electronics of these taillights causing the issue. No battery should drain as fast as they are, and for as new as the batteries are. Unless these Camaros are notoriously horrible battery hogs, then these taillights may be to blame.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #135
MistyBlu10
GOBLIN

Drives: 2015 SS Convertable Green Flash
mine in for 2 weeks now single pole switch grounded in truck for party mode, with scanner light up front no issues at all. did notice when i turn the toggle off for the party mode they take a few seconds to go off

2015 2SS Green Flash Edition
2012 Camaro LFX 45th born 9/24/11 sold 4/1/15
2013 Equinox LTZ
2013 Cruze LTZ
2010 LT2 BLUE RS CAMARO TRADED FOR 45TH
2011 COLARADO Z71 TRADED FOR MALABU
2011 MALABU LTZ TRADED FOR BLUE CAMARO
2007 Z71 Avalanche LTZ
1987 K5 Blazer
BOWTIES AS BLOOD CELLS
GM RULES
MistyBlu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #136
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyBlu10 View Post
mine in for 2 weeks now single pole switch grounded in truck for party mode, with scanner light up front no issues at all. did notice when i turn the toggle off for the party mode they take a few seconds to go off
Hopefully you won't experience this issue in the future. It took roughly 2.5 months for my battery to die.....and that happened twice. In that time frame, I rarely drove the car. So, if you daily drive yours, it may take much more time to show signs of battery drain from the Technostalgia lights. Good luck and please keep us updated!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #137
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
I am absolutely crazy about these lights. I will put a "tender" on it OR do the power lead switch deal to keep them. Most likely a power lead switch deal would be best that would cycle on with the ignition switch. There might be something you could tee off in the fusebox maybe! Hey guys, it's custom...get use to it. These lights are worth the little extra care!
These lights without a doubt look amazing. It's just a shame that they are plagued with issues that haven't been solved. Hopefully, Technostalgia will look into this heavily and find a way to rectify the situation because owners shouldn't have to find unique ways to keep their battery from draining just to have aftermarket taillights. LOL

Good luck and let us know if you decide to purchase the taillights.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #138
Mistah SS

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyBlu10 View Post
did notice when i turn the toggle off for the party mode they take a few seconds to go off
That's normal for electronics. They store small amounts of energy and the smaller the load, the longer it takes to drain the excess energy.
Mistah SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #139
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
These lights without a doubt look amazing. It's just a shame that they are plagued with issues that haven't been solved. Hopefully, Technostalgia will look into this heavily and find a way to rectify the situation because owners shouldn't have to find unique ways to keep their battery from draining just to have aftermarket taillights. LOL

Good luck and let us know if you decide to purchase the taillights.
Hey TCAT.....I already installed them over the Christmas holiday like I said in my previous post and that is why I love them. On my black SS they look phenomenal.
I'm sure Technostalgia will come up with a fix, as they should....but until then I will look at a alternative DIY. They are worth it.

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #140
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
Hey TCAT.....I already installed them over the Christmas holiday like I said in my previous post and that is why I love them. On my black SS they look phenomenal.
I'm sure Technostalgia will come up with a fix, as they should....but until then I will look at a alternative DYI. They are worth it.
That's right! Sorry, I had a brain fart when posted to your response last night. They do look badass, that's for sure. Hopefully Todd or someone from Technostalgia will chime in on this thread to gives is some input.