Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #43
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
27k for a 2010? I'd pass
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
ImperialSScamaro
Im a noob

Drives: Black 2016 1SS
Keep your current car and mod it. That way you can have more power and still be cheaper than going that far in the hole. That's my 2cents
ImperialSScamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #45
t!mbo

Drives: 45th 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
I think I really needed to hear all this. An SS for me right now is not a smart decision. I work two jobs (as does my wife) to pay for what we have, and even with 4 jobs total, money is still pretty tight. I would hate to lose a year of car payments and have to start over with a way bigger one. I love my car, and I have no real "need" for an SS. I'm definitely happy with what I have, and I'm really lucky to have it. I think after I pay off my V6, I'm going to find a good used SS. I was initially going to try to find a used ZL1 at that point, but in my income bracket that doesn't make any sense either. So, my mind is made up. Pay off the V6, then it'll be time for a used SS. Then we'll have two Camaros in the family!
Thanks to everybody who chimed in. I greatly appreciate the advice. You guys just saved me a lot of money!
Congrats to a financially intelligent decision!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #46
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
I'd keep the LT and pay down on the loan until you get decent equity for a new SS. $590/mo is pretty steep for a 2010 IMO.
I agree. I wonder what rate they are using. Dealers have a lot of leeway on rate.they can make money on the point spread. They basically put a number out and see if a bank will pick up th loan. That's why they keep coming back with number. They also make money on extended warranties, gap insurance, etc. I was offered $18000 for my '11 LT RS on there first go round and like an $800 a month payment. I crossed everything out and wrote down my numbers. They sales guy came back 3 times. I got $23,500 on the trade, the interest rate I wanted 0% for 72 months got the cost down a grand. Be firm and don't let them grind you down.

You need to get another years worth of payments into your car. Wait it out and you can get new for that payment or maybe a bit more.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #47
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
The car looks great. Forget what these so called sensible people are telling you and do what makes you happy. Live for today cause you might not make it to tomorrow.
There's stocks, bonds, IRA's,401k's,etc..... for tomorrow, so if you don't mind paying 590 a month for a car you love and you can afford it, then go for it... I would!!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #48
Bsanf21
Love me some Camaro's!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Get what u want, don't settle. If u don't like the color don't get it.
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #49
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
I bought a Camaro because I really wanted a Camaro. I can afford it, and I felt that I deserved a nice car because I work my ass off all week, every week. Money is tight, but we're not broke. My wife and I both have new cars, so that's why the checkbook is a little slimmer than it could be. In a few years, we'll have both cars paid off, and things will be easier then.
And sure, there are plenty of inexpensive and reliable cars out there. I drove one for 11 years straight and it was an excellent vehicle. But I wanted that Camaro, so it's worth the extra money to me. Believe me, I wouldn't have bought it had I not been able to afford it. Not everybody on this forum with a Camaro is rich. Money's tight for a lot of people.
Money's tight for a lot of people when they straddle themselves with payments for things they really don't need. I'm sorry, but you will never convince me that working four jobs to get a car you wanted as being a good financial move. I'll work two jobs if it means keeping a roof over my family and food on the table. I'm not going to work two jobs to drive a nice car. No thanks. Life is too short....to work two jobs unnecessarily.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #50
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
The car looks great. Forget what these so called sensible people are telling you and do what makes you happy. Live for today cause you might not make it to tomorrow.
There's stocks, bonds, IRA's,401k's,etc..... for tomorrow, so if you don't mind paying 590 a month for a car you love and you can afford it, then go for it... I would!!!
By sensible do you mean old?
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
I would go for it.. Even if I am upside down.. I will rather make monthly payments on a car that I truly want. We only live once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
Good luck.. Im pretty sure you will have the upgrade itch again after a few months..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH83 View Post
This guy and his wife are both working two jobs, and even with that he states money is still tight and your suggestion is to eat around $5k in negative equity because he likes the V8 version of this current car?
Some folks enjoy eating Ritz crackers for dinner and sitting in the dark because they can't afford to pay the electric bill. Hey, it's all worth it though. They can barely afford to make the payments and have zero savings in the case an emergency arises. And people wonder how some folks get themselves buried in debt up to their eye balls.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #52
CRH83

Drives: 2013 Toyota SR5 4Runner 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
Money's tight for a lot of people when they straddle themselves with payments for things they really don't need. I'm sorry, but you will never convince me that working four jobs to get a car you wanted as being a good financial move. I'll work two jobs if it means keeping a roof over my family and food on the table. I'm not going to work two jobs to drive a nice car. No thanks. Life is too short....to work two jobs unnecessarily.
Truth
CRH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #53
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
That is an RS car,built January '10.